Alessandro MS1 Review
Jun 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 24
This makes me feel better about the $25 dollar shipping fee plus $50 customs charge here in the UK.  I have them waiting for me in  the local depot after 3 weeks.  I sure hope I prefer them over the SR80s as they work out about the same price if you add on the shipping/taxes.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

In Summary:
These headphones are worth their price tag.  Even if I hadn't gotten this pair for free (courtesy of Mritt's generosity), I'd be willing to pay upwards of $150 for these.  They offer solid highs, lovely lows, and mostly acceptable mids. These will stay with me for a while, at least until I decide it's time to pass the goodwill on.

And, for those who own pair of or have heard some AKG K141s, these sound quite like them but the bass is IMO less bloated and are more suited to listening than the AKG's, assuming you like well-formed bass over quantities of bass.

Hopefully this review was helpful to someone, and you can all look forward to future reviews when/if I upgrade my earbuds.

sorry for the resurrection of the topic, but the ms1 , have leak of sound,  people near to you can hear all you are listening ?? like in the sr60i ? , because thats my only concern about the grados sr series , the leak of sound . thanks in advance
best regards 

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #20 of 24
sorry for the resurrection of the topic, but the ms1 , have leak of sound,  people near to you can hear all you are listening ?? like in the sr60i ? , because thats my only concern about the grados sr series , the leak of sound . thanks in advance

best regards 

Yeah they leak the same amount of noise.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:
A couple of weeks ago I received mritt400's Alessandro MS1 headphones and have been meaning to make a review thread since then, but have been busy with school (it was the end of the semester, and I had a failing grade or two). But, I have finally found some time for the review, so here goes.
This is going to be my first review thread, so bear with me!

*All ratings are based on my own personal experience and preferences, so YMMV

Build Quality
When I received the package with the headphones in it, I tore it open and - like I do with everything I receive in the mail - just looked at it for a while.  My first observations were that there was a lot of plastic on it.  I knew the driver casings were made of plastic ahead of time, just from threads I've read on here, but I was nonetheless surprised after seeing it in person.  

That said, the build quality of the HP's were overall respectable.  I don't think they'll have any issues with loosening up over time, as the parts holding the cups to the headband seem strong.  And, since Mritt has had them for, well, however long he's had them, what little concern I had was assuaged. 

I like the cable in terms of feel/quality, but I have a few issues.  The first is the length.  It's a rather awkward cable in that respect.  It's a little too short (IMO, of course) for home use, but too long for mobile use.  If you'd even want to use it for a portable setup lol!  Also, the Y-connector that splits the cable for the dual entry can setup bothers me.  It seems to me that the cable is squished to get out of the connector to go to the headphones. It's probably nothing, but it seems like an improper way to treat a cable.

Overall:7/10

While made of plastic, all the parts seem sturdy and more solid than I'd have thought. The cable is thick and sturdy, but an awkward length with a quirk or two.  I think a 7/10 is fair, but I can be rather critical of build quality. So take my rating with a grain of salt.  Moving on!

Comfort and Fit
After listening to these for a total of ~4 hours in the two weeks before today, I didn't get much time for checking the comfort over time.  However, today I've got a total of 4 hours of non-stop listening in, and I must say that these are the MOST comfortable headphone's I've had the pleasure of listening to.  As long as the "comfies" are on, anyways.  I find that the L-cush pads that I got with these made my ears start protesting after around 30 minutes.  It's a shame, as I preferred the sound of the L-cush pads over the comfies.  But I digress.  More on that later.

Overall:10/10 w/comfies and 4/10 w/L-cush

Moving on to the reason you're all here,

Sound Quality
*All music listened to was either 320 kbps MP3, WAV, or ALAC.  I used my home-made Cmoy amp for this test.

When I first listened to the MS1's, one phrase pervaded my thoughts: Where's the bass?  
However, after listening for a while I realized that my ears had been corrupted by the mid-tier Sony earbuds I'd had for portable use for around 3 months.  After breaking free from the sound I was used to, I had a moment of clarity.  THIS is what bass should sound like!  It's there and it goes deep, but it has a beautiful subtlety to it.  Bass guitars have a nice slap, drums don't overpower the rest of the song.  What was anemic before is now well-defined. A particular example of the awesome sound these 'phones give drums is "Frank Sinatra" from Cake's "Fashion Nugget"  These HP's should suffice for anything I listen to except perhaps the occasional Lil' Jon banger, when I want to be overwhelmed by bass, haha.
Going past the bass, I feel I should probably mention other aspects of the sonic signature 
tongue_smile.gif

I will admit that the first thing I thought about the sound before listening was fear of over-bright treble, as I've experienced in one of my friends pairs of SR-60's.  But, I was pleasantly surprised after listening.  It appears that Grado toned the treble down for these. It has a wonderful character to it, crisp and clear with very little (if any) sibilance.  I love the sound of hi-hats through these!  I would say that they are a bright enough to sound right, but not so bright that they have sibilance problems.  Think Goldilocks
smily_headphones1.gif

I have some mixed feelings about the midrange.  In most songs they are fine.  Not extravagant, but definitely adequate.  There's no "velvet" here, mainly (what is to me) accurate reproduction.  In certain songs, however, they can be a bit recessed.  For example, "Wildflower" by Cee-Lo Green seems like he's behind a veil, which isn't a problem on his other songs from "The Lady Killer." Another song was "Kids With Guns" by Gorillaz.  The mids just didn't seem assertive enough to me.  I could be imagining it, though.

Overall: 9/10

In Summary:
These headphones are worth their price tag.  Even if I hadn't gotten this pair for free (courtesy of Mritt's generosity), I'd be willing to pay upwards of $150 for these.  They offer solid highs, lovely lows, and mostly acceptable mids. These will stay with me for a while, at least until I decide it's time to pass the goodwill on.

And, for those who own pair of or have heard some AKG K141s, these sound quite like them but the bass is IMO less bloated and are more suited to listening than the AKG's, assuming you like well-formed bass over quantities of bass.

Hopefully this review was helpful to someone, and you can all look forward to future reviews when/if I upgrade my earbuds.

I think i just found another family member here
biggrin.gif

Love it, adore it. I can't take it off my head
gs1000.gif

Great review anyway
beerchug.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #22 of 24
My renewed enthusiasm over the past few weeks has sen me pull my old MS1's out of the cupboard... Got them many moons ago but for a long time I needed much more portability.

The cushions on the ears are damaged but they still sound great.. My first purchased headphones actually!

I'm in Melbourne Australia, where would I go to get new pads for them and can anyone give any guidance for getting the old glue off and generally fixing them? Thanks!

Great review mate.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 24
So,you consider them as a comfrotable ones?Because I read confusing reviews that Grados and Alessandros are stated as uncomfrotable ones but with outstanding sound.
Probably the size of the head is also a point to consider...

Thanks for the great review,very helpful!

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 24
Great review!

I have had my Alessandro MS1s for about a year and am very happy with how they have broken in. They are so subtly smooth and gentle on almost any genre of music. They kind of "step out of the way". They are not for bassheads or heavy metal, but on more delicate pieces they are sublime.

A note on the midrange; I found that they opened up quite a bit after a good amount of use. Another thing I experimented with is an external DAC. Since I use them almost exclusively with my MacBook Pro I tried a HiFiMan USB DAC. Wow, this also opens theses cans up to the next degree. 

Simply one of the best headphone bargains for under $150. And they look pretty cool, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back