Alessandro MS-1i
Apr 13, 2010 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Doorbell

100+ Head-Fier
Does the MS-1i have the donut ear pad or the full covered type? I just ordered these on one of those "caught up in the moment" feelings. Should I regret it? Also how do they sound without a amp?

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 48
The MS-1(i)'s are wonderful cans. Great for the $$$, but I would expect that after you try them out for a while with comfy pads, you will want to try them with the L-cushions (doughnut ear pads). An awesome entry into quality mid-fi that will be a very good experience, I expect.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS-1(i)'s are wonderful cans. Great for the $$$, but I would expect that after you try them out for a while with comfy pads, you will want to try them with the L-cushions (doughnut ear pads). An awesome entry into quality mid-fi that will be a very good experience, I expect.
smily_headphones1.gif

So these

Grado Earpads (Large) Pair | HeadRoom Audio

fit on the ms1i's?

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So these

Grado Earpads (Large) Pair | HeadRoom Audio

fit on the ms1i's?

I'd only put those on my MS1's if I suddenly found myself really wanting to explore the more hard-core aspects of masochism.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 48
MS1s are just great. They are very good stock. They're easily moddable to greatly improve the sound further. They sound good without an amp; they sound awesome with one.

Just can't go wrong.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 48
I think the L-Pads sound clearer but they aren't as comfortable for over two hours for me. I haven't yet cut and tried my Sennheiser HD414 yellow pads. I will try the reverse quarter mod...cut a quarter-sized hole out of them and then put them on inside-out. These weren't expensive and feel softer than the Grado Bowls. The comfies are nice but a bit warm and they muddy the sound a bit, I feel.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 48
Does Alessandro really take a long time to ship? I was reading some old threads about the ms1i and alot of people complained about having to wait almost 3 weeks for theirs to show up.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 48
I ordered some MS-1's a while back and the shipping was quite slow. It was about 2 full weeks and that seemed a bit long compared to Amazon, Ebay and people shipping from the for sale forum here.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 48
It would be criminal if someone didn't mention picking up a pair of HD414 pads (like 10 bucks on eBay) and quarter / reverse modding them. You lose a little mid-bass but you gain clarity and seperation. And if you don't like it hey you only spent 10 wing wangs.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 48
I ordered my MS-1i's on Sunday about a month ago or so and I had them that Wednesday! I was really surprised and happy. Not a lot of things feel like Christmas these days but that pair got me hooked and now I have spent so much time doing more research on Head-Fi and buying! Also got both of my professional musician friends to buy pairs. We compared the MS-1i's to his Senns and his studio refererence set-up and his crazy custom speaker set-up was much more like the MS-1i's. So to get that kind of sound for that kind of money, we have been VERY happy. Now I have the RE0's for iems and want either PK1's or PK2's for earbuds. I tell myself that I'll stop with that set...

I have the Sennheiser pads but have yet to do the reverse quarter mod. I am already itching to have the old Grado "Flat" pads from TTVJ's site. Wish they weren't so expensive. Sound + comfort = the goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back