Alcohol and perceived sound quality
Sep 21, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #61 of 87

Cats are evil, I found out the hard way that they HATE cars. I had to go pick up my friends cat from the vet but I forgot the carrier so she rode in the back seat of my 330ci. Well I guess my driving got her so freaked out that she had to dig her nails into my seats. Luckily it was the backseat which if you've ever been in a 330 you know is pretty much for show only so I didn't mind that much.

Quote:
Folks, we cannot discuss illegal substances here. Please knock it off.

Personally, I like the cat mod. I can usually have a warm, fuzzy and purring slightly overweight lump of shedding hair in my lap while listening. It makes it better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I apologize for my actions sir.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #62 of 87
There's nothing evil about cats. You just have to understand them, read their body language and get to know their personalities. They respond quite well to positive reinforcement.

Mine are easy to deal with and very affectionate. The biggest issue is cat hair, but I can't really blame them. And no, I'm not interested in a hairless one. I'd just constantly feel sorry for it.

And no surprise that the kitty dug into the back seat. They don't like sliding around.

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #63 of 87
I'm not sure if I'm going to push any forum boundaries here but it's all to do with dopamine and it's effect on how we perceive pleasurable things or euphoria in short.

I will negate the feeling of E and music but I did find a huge amount of Euphoria back when mushrooms used to be legal and I was a bass head. The bass in my car always seemed massively amplified over what it actually was, with a clarity that is just indescribable. Something that I have spend £1000's trying to make a system have that effect of sheer SQ and effortlessness again but it's not possible, nothing will beat that £50 sub and £10 box or fresh shrooms.
(car parked up and on private land obviously. Probably not a good idea to drive whilst talking nonsense to the giant mars bar in the passenger seat)

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #64 of 87
Interesting ideas about drugs, but we'll all have to get back to the topic or this thread will be closed. 

Wasn't there some way of rubbing alcohol to improve vinyl recordings ? Wonder how that works. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #65 of 87

Quote:
It's the dopamine
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm going to push any forum boundaries here but it's all to do with dopamine and it's effect on how we perceive pleasurable things or euphoria in short.

X2.  A study published earlier this year found that moments of aesthetic pleasure (having chills) while listening to music release dopamine in the nucleus accumbens, the same process that is responsible for the hedonic pleasure associated with all drugs of abuse.  Pleasure isn't the same thing as improved sound quality, but I'd guess that the rest of the brain colors the experience of musical details in the light of this bliss.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #66 of 87

Quote:

X2.  A study published earlier this year found that moments of aesthetic pleasure (having chills) while listening to music release dopamine in the nucleus accumbens, the same process that is responsible for the hedonic pleasure associated with all drugs of abuse.  Pleasure isn't the same thing as improved sound quality, but I'd guess that the rest of the brain colors the experience of musical details in the light of this bliss.

Scientific proof ? 
eek.gif
 Looks like we'll need to add alcohol to the head gear section 
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #67 of 87
i rarely sit down for an evening listening session without a couple of beers or glasses of wine but i have to say that there's no doubt in my mind that alcohol degrades the listening experience in terms of sound quality, detail, and maintaining any sort of attention. which isn't to say it's not right for some circumstances - there's a reason they sell beer at concerts! marijuana on the other hand - it's pretty astounding the effect that has on listening. the sense of space, immersion, and the way it brings out previously unnoticed micro-details really is quite special.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #70 of 87
i''m a college student of undisclosed age, drinking cheap lemon vodka and lemon iced tea. and pink floyd has never sounded so good. so full, so rich. money sounds like i'm right in front of the amp, and everything is so full and resonant, it's beautiful. so involving. God I need a life.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #72 of 87
For me wine is a sound enhancer. After a couple of glasses I seem to be better able to concentrate on the music, picking it apart instrument-by-instrument and hearing all the nuances my system presents to me.

Hey, I've got an Idea, lets start a thread about drunk listening, we could discuss which libation is better, beer, wine, whiskey, Which beer, red or white wine, bourbon or scotch...etc.
I think this makes as much sense as all the cable threads and would be a pile more fun to run tests and experiments. What do y'all think?
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #73 of 87

Quote:

Hey, I've got an Idea, lets start a thread about drunk listening, we could discuss which libation is better, beer, wine, whiskey, Which beer, red or white wine, bourbon or scotch...etc.
I think this makes as much sense as all the cable threads and would be a pile more fun to run tests and experiments. What do y'all think?
wink.gif

Cool, I'll go and start one in the sound science forum right now 
atsmile.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #75 of 87
Folks, we cannot discuss illegal substances here. Please knock it off.

I understand why this rule exists but it's a little restrictive when discussing legitimate issues. We know for example how certain substances have influenced entire musical and artistic movements, for example; psychedelia, acid house and much club music. But substances like laudanum (opiate based) were influencing the composition of classical music in the C19th. In the C20th composers like John Cage developed whole new philosophies of music and it's composition, largely influenced by let's say "altered states of reality".

My experience taught me that while music I was trying to mix and produce sounded fantastic at the time, I invariably had to throw it all away the next day, when the cold light of day exposed how my perception had been deceived.

Hope this isn't an "illegal" post but I thought some legitimate discussion would be acceptable? Let me know if not and I'll remove it.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back