Alcohol and perceived sound quality
Sep 18, 2011 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

Parall3l

lƐllɐɹɐԀ
Another thread specifically on the topic of alcohol and listening has been made

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573144/drunk-listening

Thread closed, it was considered to be inappropriate 

I'm sure everyone's heard of the joke that alcohol improves the sound. but after drinking some jack daniels I found in my fridge, the vocals suddenly improved with extra clarity and the soundstage on my headphones actually widened ! 
eek.gif

Although this is probably the opposite of science but I'll just post this in the sound science forum 
tongue_smile.gif

If you can't afford STAX, get beer instead 

Anyone care to explain this ? What exactly did happen to me ? 

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 87

IDK but im about to try got about 6 shots of patron in the fridge 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I'm sure everyone's heard of the joke that alcohol improves the sound. but after drinking some jack daniels I found in my fridge, the vocals suddenly improved with extra clarity and the soundstage on my headphones actually widened ! 
eek.gif

Although this is probably the opposite of science but I'll just post this in the sound science forum 
tongue_smile.gif

If you can't afford STAX, get beer instead 

Anyone care to explain this ? What exactly did happen to me ? 

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 87
This requires further testing. Luckily, I have bottle of JD Single Barrel on hand.

What would be the DBT protocol? Say isopropyl vs. ethyl?

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 87
well i had no shots...apparently I wasn't the only one with a craving tonight. Oh and I wasn't gonna down 6 shots at once, I'm not quite a certified alcoholic yet

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 87
Costco boxes of beer paired with Stax headphones is a good system pairing for the discerning, yet economical audiophile.

Now that the cases of 24 packs of Mendocino Brewing Co. and Sam Adams have been finished, I think I need to pick up a case of Guiness later today.  Highly recommend the Mendocino Brewing Co. packs for those lucky enough to live within the US west coast distribution regions.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 87
This stands true for my experiences. When slightly drunk my headphones and music sounds much better. I don't care if it's placebo it works.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 87
Ok so I found a bottle of champagne in the garage and wow I drank 2 glasses (big glup sizee 
biggrin.gif
) ANd good gawd I am beyond listening it sounds like i underwater and im using M50s so my ears feel like the are 500 degrees. Dang this stuff will mess you up costco champagne rules

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #13 of 87
I have found this phenomena to be true as well.

Why? I have no idea! Maybe it's because a good drink relaxes you and allows you to focus on some senses a bit more while relaxing the logical portion of the mind....maybe...
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back