AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
May 18, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #872 of 1,541
May 18, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #873 of 1,541
I honestly don't understand these reports on N5005 being bass-light. Something must be really wrong with either their point of reference or their ears. N5005 with the bass filter is *the* bassiest IEM I've ever heard to date, regardless of the price point. More bass than even my Apple earpods - that's a A LOT of bass. We are talking about 150Hz-and-below, well-controlled, thunderous goodness.

May 18, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #874 of 1,541
I honestly don't understand these reports on N5005 being bass-light. Something must be really wrong with either their point of reference or their ears. N5005 with the bass filter is *the* bassiest IEM I've ever heard to date, regardless of the price point. More bass than even my Apple earpods - that's a A LOT of bass. We are talking about 150Hz-and-below, well-controlled, thunderous goodness.
I guess those people just didn't get the N5005 fit right, since its a very tip-dependent iem. When you find the right tips, it doesnt only increase the bass quantity, but also brings the overall SQ to a new level. For me it was Final Audio e-type tips which made all the difference.
Btw, anyone knows where to buy some quality cables(hybrids or silverplated occ ones) that will connect to n5005?

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #875 of 1,541
Either the reviewer doesn’t know what his talking about or he reviewed without a decent seal.

These headphones are excellent when you get a decent seal one of the best given the price. But the seal is notoriously difficult to achieve for these IEMs. When not sealed the bass just disappears.

With the right ear buds and seal these IEMs just sound so perfect. Lots of bass with bass filters and good reference if reference filters :)

May 18, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #876 of 1,541
Either the reviewer doesn’t know what his talking about or he reviewed without a decent seal.

These headphones are excellent when you get a decent seal one of the best given the price. But the seal is notoriously difficult to achieve for these IEMs. When not sealed the bass just disappears.

With the right ear buds and seal these IEMs just sound so perfect. Lots of bass with bass filters and good reference if reference filters :)

The n5005 isnt very ergonomic really. The nozzle is short and the angle of insertion can be awkward. I can only really get a fit with large symbio mandarin tips. If not, well implemented subbass boost that reaches deep.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 18, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #877 of 1,541
I guess those people just didn't get the N5005 fit right, since its a very tip-dependent iem. When you find the right tips, it doesnt only increase the bass quantity, but also brings the overall SQ to a new level. For me it was Final Audio e-type tips which made all the difference.
Btw, anyone knows where to buy some quality cables(hybrids or silverplated occ ones) that will connect to n5005?
Effect audio is meant to be very decent cable highly recommended. Please note the MMCX on the n5005 isn’t standard I believe so check before you buy. I think their end is slightly larger.

May 18, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #878 of 1,541
Effect audio is meant to be very decent cable highly recommended. Please note the MMCX on the n5005 isn’t standard I believe so check before you buy. I think their end is slightly larger.
I know it isnt standard, thats why I asked about it, otherwise it wouldn't be a hard choice. I've got plenty of different MMCX cables and none of them fit n5005.

May 18, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #879 of 1,541

I think it has to be that. The general impression of the N5005 is strong bass. The AKG N40 which I have is strong in the bass, and a warrantied success. I don't believe AKG would change that formula. The Hifi+ review of the N5005 describes the bass as stentorian. (Second paragraph, page 2.) https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/akg-n5005-earphones/

I know it isnt standard, thats why I asked about it, otherwise it wouldn't be a hard choice. I've got plenty of different MMCX cables and none of them fit n5005.

Yeah that is a concern. We can buy replacement cables for the AKG N40, from the AKG website. However you can't buy replacement cables for the N5005. https://uk.akg.com/replacement-parts/

Plus it's a proprietary MMCX socket, so maybe standard MMCX cables which we could buy won't fit. Making it hard or impossible to source replacements.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #880 of 1,541
May 18, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #881 of 1,541
Hi guys..i want to share a small mod i have made to adapt the brand new just released spiral dot++ (yup..double pluses) to my n5005. Maybe someone else have thought of or even done this already..sorry i havent bothered to check the whole thread...

As many would know the spiral dots are for a bigger bore size hence it slides down the nozzle right to the base which pretty much makes insertion impossible. Keep in mind i have tried this with the standard spiral dots..and i find the ++ model have slight more grip due to its new collar, the modn s required for the soiral dots to fit properly.

Its a super simple mod...takes 1 minute...i cut up the base of the standard spitfit cp100 roughly 2-3mm, not the full collar..and then i slot it through the nozzle right down to the base as far as possible..after that the spiral dot ++ fits just right...just make sure the mod is slotted right down to the base so the SD++ will fit just right. I am sure most of n5005 owners will not mind sacrificing a pair of spinfits as they are cheap and readily available..very easy.

So the most important question is the sound..yes it is the best tip yet for the n5005. Bass impact and depth is improved. Deep rumble and textures easier to discern than the standard tips..very obvious difernce. The midrange and vocal especially is much more open, better body especially to the lower vocal tone. Upper midrange is slightly calmed without sacrificing clarity. Sound stage is slightly wider and more 3D...stage height is quite an improvement. No loss of treble extension at all..infact i think is smoother yet airer..this mod has given me insight to the actual potential of the n5005..only does this tip i have found improves on the original in almost everyway with no drawbacks...this mod is worth it. The spiral dot++ model is available on ebay. The comfort and fit is beyond reproach and one final thing. The isolation is much improved as well. My tip search has officially ended. 3 days with 3 hours each listening playing every genre of music in my library comfirms this.

Notes: i have tried. Standard spinfit cp145. Sony hybrid tips. Symbio mandarins, dekoni foam. Comply foam. Spiral dot beats them all.

PS: bispa japan make mmcx connectors for the akg n5005, just in case you may want to buy and send to the boutique cable maker of your choice if they dont have it. I use the oc studio uex silver 8 wire with my n5005 and works fine.

Happy modding and listening 20190519_005037.jpg 20190519_005047.jpg 20190519_005011.jpg 20190519_005025.jpg 20190519_005029.jpg

May 18, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #882 of 1,541
I think it has to be that. The general impression of the N5005 is strong bass. The AKG N40 which I have is strong in the bass, and a warrantied success. I don't believe AKG would change that formula. The Hifi+ review of
Hi guys..i want to share a small mod i have made to adapt the brand new just released spiral dot++ (yup..double pluses) to my n5005. Maybe someone else have thought of or even done this already..sorry i havent bothered to check the whole thread...

As many would know the spiral dots are for a bigger bore size hence it slides down the nozzle right to the base which pretty much makes insertion impossible. Keep in mind i have tried this with the standard spiral dots..and i find the ++ model have slight more grip due to its new collar, the modn s required for the soiral dots to fit properly.

Its a super simple mod...takes 1 minute...i cut up the base of the standard spitfit cp100 roughly 2-3mm, not the full collar..and then i slot it through the nozzle right down to the base as far as possible..after that the spiral dot ++ fits just right...just make sure the mod is slotted right down to the base so the SD++ will fit just right. I am sure most of n5005 owners will not mind sacrificing a pair of spinfits as they are cheap and readily available..very easy.

So the most important question is the sound..yes it is the best tip yet for the n5005. Bass impact and depth is improved. Deep rumble and textures easier to discern than the standard tips..very obvious difernce. The midrange and vocal especially is much more open, better body especially to the lower vocal tone. Upper midrange is slightly calmed without sacrificing clarity. Sound stage is slightly wider and more 3D...stage height is quite an improvement. No loss of treble extension at all..infact i think is smoother yet airer..this mod has given me insight to the actual potential of the n5005..only does this tip i have found improves on the original in almost everyway with no drawbacks...this mod is worth it. The spiral dot++ model is available on ebay. The comfort and fit is beyond reproach and one final thing. The isolation is much improved as well. My tip search has officially ended. 3 days with 3 hours each listening playing every genre of music in my library comfirms this.

Notes: i have tried. Standard spinfit cp145. Sony hybrid tips. Symbio mandarins, dekoni foam. Comply foam. Spiral dot beats them all.

PS: bispa japan make mmcx connectors for the akg n5005, just in case you may want to buy and send to the boutique cable maker of your choice if they dont have it. I use the oc studio uex silver 8 wire with my n5005 and works fine.

Happy modding and listening

Just did some searching for Spiral Dot ++ tips. Only place I could find them (for shipping to the USA anyway) is on ebay, from Japan. Price is around $50 for two sets. I just can't stomach paying that much for tips. Hopefully, they will be more readily available (and cheaper) soon.

Edit: thanks for the mod info BTW. I definitely want to try it some day. As noted earlier, gently removing the ear guides also helps tips seal (for me anyway YMMV).

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #883 of 1,541
@spw1880 Thank you for the information. Sadly can't follow the Bispa website because of the language.

However searching Bispa japan does return quite a few links. There may be a N5005 cables in those links.

I also opened an AKG support request tonight, asking about what to do if I were to need replacement cables. (I stated how the N40 cables are sold on the AKG website, but not the N5005, to them.) Their policy is to reply within 24-hours, but I have no hope for a categorical solution.

May 18, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #884 of 1,541
I might end up choosing Shure SE846 for ease of accessories though. I was also wondering today, if we can buy the headphones that go with the KSE 1200 and KSE 1500, separately. I think the only way to get them is with either of the amplifier (maybe DAC) units. Whereas I would like to maybe buy just the headphones. (They are the same headphones on the 1200 and 1500; just different amplifier( DAC) units.)

I have a Chord TT2 so I have enough power and don't need the KSE amp unit to drive the electrostatics. Overall though, I think I want the N5005.

@slowpickr The N40 stock tips work perfectly for me. I was thinking the N5005 would too. I have given quite a bit of thought to buying the N5005 lately too. I think the N5005 can be bought for cheaper than the competition, and I know the N40 sound signature. I have two pairs. One that I use, and one pair for back-up, because they are that good.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #885 of 1,541
@spw1880 Thank you for the information. Sadly can't follow the Bispa website because of the language.

However searching Bispa japan does return quite a few links. There may be a N5005 cables in those links.

I also opened an AKG support request tonight, asking about what to do if I were to need replacement cables. (I stated how the N40 cables are sold on the AKG website, but not the N5005, to them.) Their policy is to reply within 24-hours, but I have no hope for a categorical solution.
Check out nocturnal audio, they can make a very nice cable for a good price that already comes with the bispa mmcx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back