AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #842 of 1,541
Just bought one new for $500

Curious to these babies! Hope they don’t disappoint!

I don't think you will be disappointed. :wink: However, in my case, achieving ToTL SQ was a matter of extensive testing with 3rd party ear tips. But if you use the right ear tips for YOUR EARS, the N5005 are AHMAZING!

BTW, where did you purchase your set at for $500? Is that USD$?

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #843 of 1,541
Any recommendations for 3rd party Balanced Cables that will fit the special N5005's MMCX connectors and are terminated with a 4.4mm Balanced plug (for HiBy R6 Pro)???

Oh, and at a reasonable price, let's say under USD $200?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #844 of 1,541
Any recommendations for 3rd party Balanced Cables that will fit the special N5005's MMCX connectors and are terminated with a 4.4mm Balanced plug (for HiBy R6 Pro)???

Pretty sure only one company has the connectors, was posted months ago in here, forget their name. You can always just use an adapter to 4.4. I use the iBasso one for my Sony ZX300

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #845 of 1,541
Pretty sure only one company has the connectors, was posted months ago in here, forget their name. You can always just use an adapter to 4.4. I use the iBasso one for my Sony ZX300

Cool, thanks. I'll search back through the thread. I am trying to avoid having to use an adapter. I might even re-terminate the OG AKG balanced cable with a 4.4mm if I can find a good connector separately. Otherwise, I might end up with that iBasso adapter, so thanks!

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #846 of 1,541

You can try this cable maker. its on the expensive side but they have AKGN5005 connectors. I would avoid the cheapest model but anything above that is good.
http://www.beataudiolab.com/t/categories/in-ear-monitor-cables

This one works too, the mmcx i tried on mine and they fit fine:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0761SW5K4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #847 of 1,541
J
I don't think you will be disappointed. :wink: However, in my case, achieving ToTL SQ was a matter of extensive testing with 3rd party ear tips. But if you use the right ear tips for YOUR EARS, the N5005 are AHMAZING!

BTW, where did you purchase your set at for $500? Is that USD$?

Thanks.

I went for final E tips for now. Still searching for the best fit and sound.

€500,- ,so euro. Bought it via my bank, they have sweet deals for equipment.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #849 of 1,541
I just tried the dekoni bullets for 2 days playing all my favorite tracks. mercury i believe. Just a brief opinion comparing to the spinfit cp145 thay comes with the n5005. I found isolation much better. the treble and upper mids are more smooth retaining good detail. This allows the mid and low midrange to be clearer. Male vocals benefits from this.

Now for the drawbacks. I treble i notice lost its airiness and sparkle. Stage width also took a hit..it sounds more closed in. Bass lost a significant amount of rumble and slam. Some may see these drawbacks as a plus especially if you find the n5005 too bright or its bass too elevated. I however listen to alot of edm and pop so i went back to the spinfits albeight the marginally worse isolation. hope this helps

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #850 of 1,541
I own the N5005 for two weeks now and I really want to like them, but I don’t.
I find them quite sibilant to be honest. Tried a variety of tips and the stock tips work the best for me.

I own the Kanas pro for example and is a lot more enjoyable for me.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #851 of 1,541
I just tried the dekoni bullets for 2 days playing all my favorite tracks. mercury i believe. Just a brief opinion comparing to the spinfit cp145 thay comes with the n5005. I found isolation much better. the treble and upper mids are more smooth retaining good detail. This allows the mid and low midrange to be clearer. Male vocals benefits from this.

Now for the drawbacks. I treble i notice lost its airiness and sparkle. Stage width also took a hit..it sounds more closed in. Bass lost a significant amount of rumble and slam. Some may see these drawbacks as a plus especially if you find the n5005 too bright or its bass too elevated. I however listen to alot of edm and pop so i went back to the spinfits albeight the marginally worse isolation. hope this helps
I will go back to silicone tips and see if I can notice anything

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #853 of 1,541
Apr 3, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #855 of 1,541
I own the N5005 for two weeks now and I really want to like them, but I don’t.

I find them quite sibilant to be honest. Tried a variety of tips and the stock tips work the best for me.

I own the Kanas pro for example and is a lot more enjoyable for me.

I was really disappointed with them at first as well! I tried all of the included ear tips but none really made them sound good to me or fit really well. I almost boxed them up and sent them back!

But I decided to try a few more tips. I ended up with the medium size, green inside/white outside Sony replacement silicone tips at this link...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RB24V4

Using the Reference Filters, these tips transformed the sound into something magical, for me at least. They still aren't quite the most comfortable tips, and they don't provide the absolute best seal for me either, but for the SQ & Soundstage I can live with them!

Caution: These Sony tips have a small bore, so be very careful and gentle when installing and removing them on the larger N5005 ear tubes!

The second best for me in regards to sound quality are the medium size (red + frosted white) Spinfit CP240 Twin-Blade silicone tips. These are more comfortable and provide a better seal for long-term listening, but don't quite have the sound quality and perfect (for me) tonal balance of the Sony tips, but they come close.

None of the Comply Foam tip models worked well for me. In general, I found that ear tips with a smaller ~1/16" opening on the tip end provided the best tonal balance and soundstage. YMMV

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back