AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Feb 21, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #826 of 1,545
Harman NL is no longer allowed /or does no longer want to distribute N5005 because of Samsung takeover. Its all about politics.
(This is what i was told over the phone from repair centre)

But Harman will send me a new N5005 next week.
Lets hope this 3rd set will survive. Don't want to test the warranty again.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #830 of 1,545
Aaanddd, it’s back to 999,-

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #832 of 1,545
Just bought them in Sweden for 530$. I'm having real regrets though. It's still a lot of money for me and I just saw crinacle only gave them a B rating. Why are these preferable to say Massdrop Plus which are 230$ cheaper?

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #833 of 1,545
I'm having real regrets though
Try burning them in and play with the eartips. N40 is extremely tip-dependent, I was very disappointed about them at start, untill i've found the right tips and changed the cable. I've seen people say the same about n5005.
It's still a lot of money for me and I just saw crinacle only gave them a B rating
Believe your own ears only, Crinacle is just a human with his own perception and taste. Some of his choices for A category I personally wouldnt even rate as B and vice versa.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #834 of 1,545
I 2nd that regarding the Tips.

Also these are truly magical sounding very forward vocals. I was going to sell these to make head way for another IEM. But when I listen to them I change my mind :)

Bass is also well controlled and plentiful + you get to change the filters for different sound sig if you want a change.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #835 of 1,545
Try burning them in and play with the eartips. N40 is extremely tip-dependent, I was very disappointed about them at start, untill i've found the right tips and changed the cable. I've seen people say the same about n5005.

Believe your own ears only, Crinacle is just a human with his own perception and taste. Some of his choices for A category I personally wouldnt even rate as B and vice versa.

I haven't actually tried them yet I've just ordered them hehe. Will do! I ordered the N40 too for 150$. Not sure which ones to keep or keep both.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #836 of 1,545
I haven't actually tried them yet I've just ordered them hehe. Will do! I ordered the N40 too for 150$
Thats a great price for the n40! You won't find the more decent sounding iem than n40 for this price. Had plenty of 200-400$ iems and none come close in terms of detail retrival, bass control and microdynamics. The only complaint is a pretty narrow soundstage. I would even personally pick them any day above the Andromeda and K10, which are overpriced, imo. Still looking forward to try n5005 - even if its only 20-30% sound quality boost comparing to n40 - it totally worth its' price, imo.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #837 of 1,545
Agreed on the eartips and filters making a huge difference in sound. After a few weeks of burn-in, listening and playing around, my preferred setup is white SpinFit tips that come with the package, and the 'Reference' filter. It's the ideal setup for *my* ear and *my* classical music/opera. Yours may differ.

I paid $480 on ebay which is a great value. For $600+ you should definitely check out others. As good as N5005 is I don't think it's 2x better than the K3003.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #838 of 1,545
Thats a great price for the n40! You won't find the more decent sounding iem than n40 for this price. Had plenty of 200-400$ iems and none come close in terms of detail retrival, bass control and microdynamics. The only complaint is a pretty narrow soundstage. I would even personally pick them any day above the Andromeda and K10, which are overpriced, imo. Still looking forward to try n5005 - even if its only 20-30% sound quality boost comparing to n40 - it totally worth its' price, imo.
Narrow, maybe just a tad, but it has a damn good holographic stage.

Agreed to not judge based off one guys impressions. Initial impressions are ok but anybody who listens to a piece of gear and gives a final conclusion after less than a day shouldn't be taken seriously.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #840 of 1,545
Just bought one new for $500

Curious to these babies! Hope they don’t disappoint!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back