AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
May 18, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #886 of 1,541
Just did some searching for Spiral Dot ++ tips. Only place I could find them (for shipping to the USA anyway) is on ebay, from Japan. Price is around $50 for two sets. I just can't stomach paying that much for tips. Hopefully, they will be more readily available (and cheaper) soon.

Yes they a priced steep for tips. I bought from ebay and am glaf they performed well especiallt for the price. I will post a couple of photos later with the standard spiral dots (non plus plus). If it works out ok, then the standard SD tips are cheaper.

Edit: thanks for the mod info BTW. I definitely want to try it some day. As noted earlier, gently removing the ear guides also helps tips seal (for me anyway YMMV).

May 18, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #887 of 1,541
I believe somebody long ago asked AKG about a replacement cable. No luck. I posted the link to Beat Audio, they sell cables with the N5005 option. Depending why you need a new cable you can always have a new cable built using one of the stock cables MMCX connecters

May 18, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #889 of 1,541
I also asked AKG if the N5005 balanced cable would fit the N40. They said no. (Told about that in the N40 thread.)
Yeah, it doesn't. N40 is standard MMCX, N5005 is the proprietary MMCX. IDK why but thankfully they gave us 3.5 and 2.5 in the package

May 19, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #890 of 1,541
I just tried the standard spiral dots on the mod..grips oke..just very slightly less grip than the ++ edition..no sound leakage..sounds just as good. Seal is also the same. Just be a bit more gentle when pullng the iem out of ear.

Nocturnal audio cables is good value for money...oc studio as well..and occ copper 8 braid from oc studio can be had for 180 dollars ish i think..both will have compatible mmcx..but only nocturnal audio has the bispa brand mmcx that will fit the akg n5005 better. Ive read about beat audio cables for n5005 also good i presume but i have never owned a beat audio cable..

May 19, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #891 of 1,541
I just tried the standard spiral dots on the mod..grips oke..just very slightly less grip than the ++ edition..no sound leakage..sounds just as good. Seal is also the same. Just be a bit more gentle when pullng the iem out of ear.

Nocturnal audio cables is good value for money...oc studio as well..and occ copper 8 braid from oc studio can be had for 180 dollars ish i think..both will have compatible mmcx..but only nocturnal audio has the bispa brand mmcx that will fit the akg n5005 better. Ive read about beat audio cables for n5005 also good i presume but i have never owned a beat audio cable..
You inspired me to try this mod with regular spiral dots. Instead of Spinfit cores, I used RHA dual density. The SDs were actually very difficult to get on. After fiddling for several minutes, I did manage to get them both on. Very pleased with the fit and sound. Thanks again for this recommendation!

Edit: Went back and looked at your photos. I see why I had a hard time getting the SDs on. I didn't cut the RHA tip bases off enough. Going to leave them as is for the time being.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #893 of 1,541
I received a reply from AKG over my enquiry about replacement N5005 cables. They didn't offer sales of spare parts from themselves. They notified me of a website which they described as their authorized service centre, Multicare Electronics. I have looked on it, and their spare parts page is under contruction. https://multicare.org.uk/Services/Spare-Parts However someone might be able to contact them now, if they needed a cable. They do list AKG as a company that they do repairs for. https://multicare.org.uk/Repair/Audio-Repair

Anyway this was the email from AKG:

Thank you for contacting us today and your interest in the AKG N5005.

Should you require any replacement cables then I would therefore like to refer you to our authorized service center. Multicare Electronics. Please find their contact details below:

Part number:

MULTICARE ELECTRONICS
Unit 5A, Gate 2
Silver Royd Business Park
Silver Royd Hill
Wortley
Leeds
LS12 4QQ
+44 113 279 1255
Info@multicare.org.uk
Open: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm GMT

Please be aware that if the part that you are looking for requires disassembly of your product, the Service Partner may require you to send in your product for service/maintenance, and shipping and/or labour costs may be added to the purchase price of the part you require.

May 23, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #896 of 1,541
Amazon has the akgn5005 on sale for 399.99 great price 5 left!
upload_2019-5-24_1-34-54.png

A store specializing in shoe care products with a 63% rating is selling a 1000$ IEM on the cheap - what could go wrong? :smirk:
https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...derID=&seller=A2ZT0U2JNZHXMB&tab=&vasStoreID=
upload_2019-5-24_1-36-45.png

May 28, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #900 of 1,541
Hello guys. First post on head-fi. My n5005 are due to arribe this Thursday, after a 3 month wait on Amazon... so excited! To those of you searching for a replacement cable, I found this adapter:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32968207322.html

BTW, RHA CL1 earphones and n5005 seem to be the only ones that use that kind of propietary connector, and they look kinda similar, they are both made of ceramic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back