AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
May 28, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #901 of 1,541
Hello guys. First post on head-fi. My n5005 are due to arribe this Thursday, after a 3 month wait on Amazon... so excited! To those of you searching for a replacement cable, I found this adapter:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32968207322.html

BTW, RHA CL1 earphones and n5005 seem to be the only ones that use that kind of propietary connector, and they look kinda similar, they are both made of ceramic.

You’ll be in for a threat!
Definitely have to tell you, when you don’t like them at first. Definitely give them some time. They were my worst in-ears at first. Awfully sibilant and piercing. After that I adjusted to the sound signature - maybe some burn-in of the DD and voila, my most awesome audio piece I’ve ever had.

May 29, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #902 of 1,541
A big thank you to whomever recommended the spiral dot tips! I found them on Amazon for a reasonable price and was after trying them for an hour or so they get a thumbs up from me. they are a little less slippery than the stock tips and they seal well and stay in place better.

May 29, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #903 of 1,541
I ended up ordering the SD++ tips last week from WorldShopping, was about $35. My most overpriced audio purchase to date lolol. Not sure when i'll get them as I only got an email a day or so later saying to confirm I still want them as shipping was 170 JPY more.

EDIT: Just double checked my email, apparently my reply to continue with purchase was never sent.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #904 of 1,541
My n5005 arrived yesterday morning. I've spent maybe 8-10 hours listening to Miles Davis, Steely Dan, The Cure and Jeff Buckley. Coming from Ultrasone IQ, these AKGs don't sound bright to me at all. Contrary to that, all frequency range sounds smooth, natural and organic. Of course treble is elevated if I compare to my old SE535 but in a lively and dare I say "fun" way. And it's very detailed! Bass is tight and enveloping at the same time, don't know how to explain. Please take this first impresions with a grain of salt.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #905 of 1,541
Hello everyone. I am a new Head-fier and this is my first post. I bought my AKG N5005 this February and at first I was not happy with its performance due to lack of naturalness and dynamism. I always felt there was something missed in the sound. I have read all posts in this thread and find out there are two main reasons for this:

(i). short and a bit weird angle of the nozzle; and
(ii). ear tip sensible

To solve these issues, I have come to conclusion that I need to not only select the right ear tips which provide best fit and comfortability but also need to insert the tips deeper into the ear canal.

I finally cut 2mm inner bore of stock silicone tips of ATH CKR100is (similar to all silicone tips with bore diameter of 4-5 mm) and insert into the nozzle to serve as the fixed rubber ring. This artificially makes the nozzle 2 mm longer but still keep the ear tip tightly attached to the nozzle without falling off. This method was also shared by one member in this thread.

While my common ear tip size is medium, I use large Sony hybrid ear tips (the ones with light blue inner core). It really transform AKG N5005 into a wonderful successor of AKG K3003 with wider soundstage, better separation, similar full sound, lifelike and dynamic music with balanced bass, mid and treble. Bass is punchy enough and treble is never harsh. Imaging is very well presented also. The sound quality surpasses almost all iems I have currently. Thanks to another member’s post in this thread. With additional 2 mm rubber ring, the earphones are actually better.

To combat with “a bit weird angle” of the nozzle, I do not try to pull the cable hard and straight over the ear while inserting the earphones. Instead, I keep the earphone in the position where the cable is relax, insert the earphone and adjust the cable over ear later.

Your mileage may vary. However, to reach this conclusion, I own and use many mid-end and higher end iems and earbuds like RHA T20, AKG K3003, ATH CKR90is, ATH CKR100is, Sennheiser IE800, JVC HA-FD01SP, Ety ER4SR/XR, Dunu DN-2000J, Shozy BK, Sennheiser MX985, K’s 500, Yuin PK1, etc.

I tried and tested different ear tips in different price ranges: RHA single and double flange ear tips, K3003 stock ear tips, ATH stock ear tips, JVC EP-FX9ML (spiral dot+), JVC EP-FX10M,ML,L (spiral dot ++), Symbio hybrid eartip (normal bore, size M and size L), Sony hybrid ear tips, Dunu stock ear tips (silicone and comply foam (TS500,TSX500, T500) included in DN-2000J package) and various cheap silicone ear tips from China.

Among these, Symbio eartips are good but not very comfortable. JVC spiral dot ear tips help retain clear music and separation but do not bring in full, natural and lively music. For others nothing special to mention.

My current setting is Android Onkyo HF Player/ USB Audio Player Pro (for ape files)/ Neutron Music Player (for DTS files) + Chord Mojo + AKG N5005 (reference/grey filter).

I really hope this post may contain useful information for existing AKG N5005 owners. I want to thank you all for previous informative and attractive posts that lead to my tests and post J. Warm regards.

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #906 of 1,541
I just bought Fiio BL35 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm single ended adapter on AliExpress (also available on Amazon USA but they don't ship to my country). It will arrive in a few weeks. I think it's a practical way to use the included 2.5 mm balanced cable without the microphone. Has anyone tried it?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #907 of 1,541
I just bought Fiio BL35 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm single ended adapter on AliExpress (also available on Amazon USA but they don't ship to my country). It will arrive in a few weeks. I think it's a practical way to use the included 2.5 mm balanced cable without the microphone. Has anyone tried it?
I have that cable. Works great. Step up in quality from their previous revision of it. I don't use it with the AKG though since that only gets used on balanced sources.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #908 of 1,541
I did try the balanced cable using a 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter. Unfortunately, neither louder nor better is the sound since my gear has only 3.5 mm ports. Most people say when being well built, there is no sound difference between 2.5 mm and 3.5 mm cable, except that the sound reproduced by using 2.5 mm cable plugged into 2.5 mm port in the same device will be louder (which may make the sound seem to be more exciting and musical).
Warm regards.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #909 of 1,541
Hi everyone. This is my first post here.
I need some help. I was looking to buy Shure se846 and in Sweden they cost $1000. Akg N5005 is right now on sale and cost $500. Is Akg good buy or should I go for Shure? Thanks

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #910 of 1,541
I need some help. I was looking to buy Shure se846 and in Sweden they cost $1000. Akg N5005 is right now on sale and cost $500. Is Akg good buy or should I go for Shure? Thanks
If you ask me, Shure is nowhere near AKG in terms of sound quality. The Shures sound muffled in comparison. But AKG is significantly brighter, so it depends on the signature you like.

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #911 of 1,541

I just bought akg n40 from webhallen and it's crazy good. I don't want to imagine how n5005 sounds. I would personally get the n5005 in front of se846. I haven't tested the n5005.

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #914 of 1,541
Has anyone found an aftermarket Cable for the AKG N5005?

I haven't personally verified but it seems that Bispa branded cables with Bispa mmcx connectors are compatible with N5005. Some other cable makers like Nocturnal audio offer Bispa connectors as an option. My Bispa Kanade cable is on transit from Amazon Japan. Another cable that may be compatible is Onso 04, with a nice industrial design, also available on Amazon JP. Best regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back