AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Apr 18, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #421 of 1,541
My tracking # says that my N5005 set will arrive today. :) Fingers crossed.

My Hiby R6 hasn't arrived yet...it's due at the end of the month if Hiby holds up their end of the deal, but not gonna hold my breath. :wink: Interested to see how the N5005 matches up with the R6's 10-ohm output impedance???

Loaned out my DX200 to a buddy for a bit, so to start I'll just be pairing the N5005 with my iBasso DX90 and the Oppo HA-1 desktop. Didn't think to order or make an adapter for Balanced 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS so will just listen using the SE output for now. For comparison's sake, I'll try the N5005 directly out of my Samsung Galaxy Note FE (Note 7) using UAPP.

Picked up some Sony ear tips...a set of S/M/L in both Black & White to differentiate between L/R earpieces, a variety pack of MEE white tips including double-flange, and a set of S/M/L Comply TSX-500 foamies. I'm still interested in trying the JVC Spiral Dots as well, but they're quite expensive to import from Japan so I'll hold off unless none of these other ear tips workout for me.

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #422 of 1,541
so sad that n5005 becomes a kind of v-shaped iem and that's not the case of k3003. The hype ends here.

That's sort of my impression as well, or rather calling it V shape, I say the mids are more recessed compare to K3003. At the end of the day it just didn't win me over from the K3003, so RMA requested and will be going back to AKG. At least their return policy is really good.

v shaped is not what I hear. The midrange does not sound recessed at all, to my ears.

No sign of a V-shaped sound to my ears either, far from it.
I never make judgements from a chart, my ears are my judge!

I wonder if these wide differences in sound signature impressions are due to everyone using/comparing with different Filters AND Ear Tips? When leaving your thoughts on sound characteristics, everyone should state exactly what Filters & Ear Tips they are using...AND the SOURCE as well. Between just these 3 things, the sound can vary drastically.

Listing what type of music you generally listen to, and a List of the Actual Tracks used for comparisons would be really helpful as well. For instance, it's obvious that Metal & EDM are recorded, mixed, and mastered much differently than Classical & Jazz, and you would expect listeners of each to appreciate at least slightly different sonic qualities.

We all know that the ear tips alone will drastically change the sound. And of course we all have slightly different ideas of what "V-shaped" is. It's a very broad term IMO.

There are way too many variables both in the signal chain and in listener preferences to make a determination without hearing them for yourself.

I'm also curious about how many of us here are opposed to using EQ to help correct response. I'm using Sonarworks in my home recording studio setup and it makes a significant improvement in every aspect. My Beyerdynamic T1's were completely transformed.

The research by Dr. Sean Olive regarding the Harmon/JBL "Target Response Curve" shows that price and implied performance quality don't really make as much of a differece in listening pleasure compared to having a desirable EQ curve and response.

Here is a chart showing listener preferences for a huge group and variety of unidentified over-the-ear headphones in the study conducted by Dr. Sean Olive and his colleagues. As you can see not all of the higher priced headphones do very well. (I'm stealing and copying this post from a buddy of mine on another forum).

"I think there are quite a few people anxious to find out what Headphone #76 from the Harman (Sean Olive) study is. Maybe a few curious about #1 as well. :wink: "

28377746_10215954355913206_4634104612924527909_n.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #423 of 1,541
Hey guys, AKG is organizing an operation in Beijing so I could try the N5005 for maybe 20mn. I tried on my WM1Z single ended with my own Flac tracks, and also on the guys SP1000.

IMG_20180419_145530.jpg
IMG_20180419_144155.jpg
IMG_20180419_144200.jpg

I was a bit disappointed that the N5005 doesn't come with a 4.4 cable like the IE800s, but otherwise the accessories and options included are quite impressive. The build is perfect included cable is much better than on the Sennheiser, the shape is quite ergonomic

The only issue I have is that the included tips don't really work for me. Even the largest ones are slightly small for me. I get a seal somehow but I feel that I could get a better fit and better sound with my own set of tips.

My impression is nevertheless positive. I mostly tried the reference filter, and despite sounding a bit thin (I guess mostly due to the average seal), the sound is fast, well balanced, I would say close to neutral. The sound is very airy and spacious, bass is tight, mids are clear and slightly on the thin side. I tested the highs on my harsh tracks, and while they are not the smoothest out there, they are by no means harsh or peaky. All this is with the reference filter. I briefly tried the bass filter, which puts a bit more body in the bass without changing overall tonality.

At this stage I am favorably impressed and might get these.

Attachments

• IMG_20180419_145536.jpg
    IMG_20180419_145536.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #424 of 1,541
Hey guys, AKG is organizing an operation in Beijing so I could try the N5005 for maybe 20mn. I tried on my WM1Z single ended with my own Flac tracks, and also on the guys SP1000.

I was a bit disappointed that the N5005 doesn't come with a 4.4 cable like the IE800s, but otherwise the accessories and options included are quite impressive. The build is perfect included cable is much better than on the Sennheiser, the shape is quite ergonomic

The only issue I have is that the included tips don't really work for me. Even the largest ones are slightly small for me. I get a seal somehow but I feel that I could get a better fit and better sound with my own set of tips.

My impression is nevertheless positive. I mostly tried the reference filter, and despite sounding a bit thin (I guess mostly due to the average seal), the sound is fast, well balanced, I would say close to neutral. The sound is very airy and spacious, bass is tight, mids are clear and slightly on the thin side. I tested the highs on my harsh tracks, and while they are not the smoothest out there, they are by no means harsh or peaky. All this is with the reference filter. I briefly tried the bass filter, which puts a bit more body in the bass without changing overall tonality.

At this stage I am favorably impressed and might get these.

Once you get the right tip then these are simply stunning. None of the included tips worked for me either, Comply TS500 did it for me, the thin sound disappeared once I had a better fit.

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #425 of 1,541
Once you get the right tip then these are simply stunning. None of the included tips worked for me either, Comply TS500 did it for me, the thin sound disappeared once I had a better fit.

Ditto. Also agree that the 4.4mm end would be nice. I'm planning to get the 2.5mm re-terminated, once I find someone who can help me with that as I don't trust my own soldering skills with this lovely cable.

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #426 of 1,541
Ditto. Also agree that the 4.4mm end would be nice. I'm planning to get the 2.5mm re-terminated, once I find someone who can help me with that as I don't trust my own soldering skills with this lovely cable.

I bought the Amp4s from Ibasso which has a 4.4 connection, I bought the Ibasso 2.5-4.4 adapter for the N5005,it was only £12.

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #427 of 1,541
Yep, I have a 2.4-4.4 adapter as well, but I don't like the resultant length of the connection, not very elegant :) I figure as I don't have any 2.5mm devices, I may as well change it permanently.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #428 of 1,541
Just did some more size comparison :wink:
Prophile-8 S - already slimmed down version is still the biggest of them all.
Comet feels super tiny compared to others

20180419_183140 (Priime Analog).jpg 20180419_183132 (Priime Analog).jpg 20180419_183008 (Priime Analog).jpg 20180419_183048 (Priime Analog).jpg

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #429 of 1,541
Some followup on the Bluetooth adapter with respect to crosstalk (not something generally looked at). I was lazy and did not compare the AKG on off the BT dongle but I used my Oriolus which has a similar impedance/transducer combo.
Here is the Oriolus (Neutron player on a Pixel 2, opposite channel playing, Google Dac)
y4mR_8_yGZDrvQcd3Bt_DS8HbYB_s1453ITkDecssEWArLPBEfu-O02K0FV28m_ex1T2N6nLIQJjDuT_YfK9BkL6IWWqX0yvxcjo5dAqJmct4oO7lrw0YVqAxu9CHoIyLXPwaQarlWbwCKViuosfce-_EYDUP3i_N_YTO1Pn1V9H_YUBbFR8oZoHRF4lr0Bv-ot97v5NPAc7WgFm9vZ9KW6gQ

So it's 90-33 or 57dB

The AKG with the Bluetooth adapter (Neutron also, same config, aptx):
y4mJakSJhSXyIBi65tvzFb_ykO908zAlKlgCOwbOvoA3xxiiVL1Ca9IX3lW3UbXMyo8uxlg860L_cM1xmvcuSQ7EBU_ejNl5EpgHSRY1Bj8us8nJ-JYMruzhsg8RO_N-PyJk-s1s51bQ1I1YBKm5zevyHcrRViRXniGmb1tPpNXrEJkU0zF68b8I9FIslq4gw_X1y9qNdiA-FyHy96sJAu2sg

So 90-17 is a crosstalk of 73dB!

The best I've seen (the Dragonfly Red managed 62 dB in my previous testing).

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #430 of 1,541
Just received my N5005 set yesterday afternoon, so just some very quick thoughts and impressions using only my Galaxy Note FE/7 and iBasso DX90 for now...

Very impressed with the overall packaging and range of accessories (except for the included ear tips...more on that later). A lot of nice little details everywhere. There's a somewhat inconspicuous Musical Notes + ❤ printed very lightly on the INSIDE of the main, white, slide-off box cover where most people wouldn't even look.

The small carry case is just about the perfect size for the IEMs, filters, cleaning tool, and BT Charging cable + the IEMs w/ 1 cable. I wish the case had a small lanyard loop and the zipper is quite stiff and hangs up a bit. Hopefully the zipper will smooth out with more use.

I haven't tried the BT Adapter yet, but even on the box and packaging and in all of the written documentation (A LOT) there was still no indication as to the Bluetooth adapter having APT-X. Weird. I have an older Samsung HS3000 universal headphone adapter with Apt-X BT that I've been very impressed with, so I'm expecting good things from the AKG adapter.

CABLES:

I REALLY like quality of the braided SE & Balanced cables. They are about the perfect length for me as well. The included controls and microphone on the 3.5mm TRRS cable are very nice, and the ability to instantly switch between iOS and Android modes is a plus.

But the mic/playback/volume controls do seem just a bit too close to the earpiece. It sits JUST below my chin and rests in my scruffy beard, which makes it a bit difficult to locate sometimes, haha. The mic also sometimes catches on my button-up shirt collar. Wish the in-line mic/controls were an option.

And though the cable is very soft, the braided design does still irritate behind my ears a little bit, so I might look into some soft slip-on microfiber-type sleeves. Any suggestions? The "ear loop" portion is just about perfect, and the cables are free to rotate at their MMCX connection point. Otherwise the cables are very comfortable and do not transmit nearly any handling noise to the earpieces.

However, the tiny Cable Cinch is so small and slick that it's really difficult to engage and doesn't work very well for me...and I don't have large, sausage-finger hands. When I do get the cable inserted into the one open slotted side, it easily pops back out, so it's pretty much useless. I might see if I can add a simple short length of heatshrink tubing as a sliding cable cinch instead. Having said all that, I still love the quality of these cables!

IEM SIZE & COMFORT:

The size and shape of the earpieces themselves are great. I've got medium sized outer ears, but still wouldn't want the IEM bodies to be any larger. It would be even better if the earpiece bodys were a just bit shallower and didn't stick out quite so far. They really aren't bad in this regard, I'm just nitpicking. I realize that they've got to fit that large dynamic driver + 4 BA's in that tiny space! I'd obviously want to order Custom IEMs if I needed more of a non-projecting, "in ear" fit.

The IEMs are very lightweight, and smooth and rounded, with no uncomfortable sharp corners or edges that you'll find even on some of the other more expensive IEMs in this range. And with the right ear tips, they stay in my ears really well.

NOTE: All of my listening impressions are using the "Reference" Filters. I haven't tried any of the others yet. I want to try all of the Ear Tips first, with a consistent, single filter, and then do the same with each of the other filters one-by-one.

EAR TIPS:

NONE of the included ear tips worked well for me either! From the N5005 kit, the best ear tips were the larger black silicone ones. Then the Large TSX-500 Comply tips were A LOT better, but far from perfect (for me). This was surprising because I usually need to go with the small ear tips.

The best overall ear tips (for me) were the MEE Audio medium double-flange white silicone tips from their variety pack. I still need to test some Sony ear tips that I bought, and I might go ahead and buy the somewhat expensive JVC Spiral Dot tips afterall.

I started my listening with the medium-small black tips that were pre-installed on the N5005 earpieces and my heart immediately sank. The N5005's sounded horrible, monophonic, and thin like 99¢ earbuds. :frowning2:

I knew that other ear tips could potentially change the sound signature quite a bit, but first impressions were NOT GOOD, and I have to admit that I was more than a bit worried and disappointed at that point.

BUT the different ear tips affected the sound signature and treble-to-bass ballance DRASTICALLY. Just with the Reference Filters installed, the N5005's went from just "all highs", to overly exaggerated bass, to everything in between.

Again, so far the best ear tips for me overall are the MEE Double-Flange White Silicone tips. They were among the best in comfort for me as well. The overall balance and frequency response are quite good with these, and the Sound Stage/Imaging was probably the best with these as well. That makes sense because good Sound Staging and Imaging are 95% due to having a smooth, balanced Frequency Response, which means that phase anomalies are inherently minimal as well. I feel that with just a bit of corrective EQ these ear tips would provide really great sound.

Note that this is my very first foray into "high quality" IEMs, so take my observations with a grain of salt. I've only experienced the run-of-the-mill sub-$50 earbuds and Apple/Android smartphone earbuds, haha. And listening without the imaging cues and influence of my outer ears takes some getting used to.

I do have some very good Over/Around-the-Ear Headphones such as the Beyerdynamic T1 v1 and also ToTL Neumann KH 120 Studio Monitors in my home recording setup. All of my headphones are dialed-in with Sonarworks calibration which completely transformed them to sound even more incredible. For background, I'm a drummer & saxophonist and play with all types of musicians, so I have real life references to compare to.

When I have more listening time on them, and have a chance to try the other filters and ear tips, I'll leave more detailed impressions of their sound quality with a list of the tracks that I used for evaluation and the ear tip/filter combination that I settled on.

- B.B.

Some of the main albums that I've used for evaluation are:

https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Daugherty-Hemingway-American-Gothic/dp/B01IAOBFXI

This is an orchestral album with incredible Dynamics, Sound Stage, and Tonality! It will test all aspects of any loudspeaker system or headphone. Amazing cello by Zuill Bailey and Extremely LOW Bass via pipe organ by Paul Jacobs. Excellent strings, piano, brass, woodwinds, and percussion as well.

81L7r%2BolR%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Also check out the album in my Avatar...The Steph Johnson Trio "Nature Girl". Incredible recording.
https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/stephjohnson3
Find full length samples on YouTube as well.

adb4f9_14813103b13b4641b7c11e7e53bb59f0~mv2.png

OPUS 3 Records Hybrid SACD - "Test CD 4: Depth of Image - Timbre - Dynamics"

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Test-CD-4-Depth-Of-Image-Timbre-Dynamics/master/1204676

R-8522930-1463323113-1836.jpeg.jpg

R-8522930-1463323115-1091.jpeg.jpg

Stockfisch Records, "AYA" Authentic Audio Check SACD

https://www.discogs.com/Various-AYA-Authentic-Audio-Check/release/10009073

R-10009073-1490064472-6710.jpeg.jpg

R-10009073-1490064481-4421.jpeg.jpg

Arne Domnérus with Lars Erstrand, Jan Lundgren, Hans Backenroth, Rasmus Kihlberg‎ – "Live is Life" CD on proprius. Specifically, the Track "DRUM BOOGIE". This is a Live drum solo recording that is incredibly lifelike. True Dynamics & Detail!

https://www.discogs.com/Arne-Domnérus-With-Lars-Erstrand-Jan-Lundgren-Hans-Backenroth-Rasmus-Kihlberg-Live-Is-Life/release/7949484

R-7949484-1452265256-3681.jpeg.jpg

---

***** Just now trying the Sony medium white silicone tips (with green/teal tube) and REALLY liking them as far as tonal balance & staging with the albums above. WOW! They are a tight fit on the IEM tube though. Fit, seal, and comfort is "okay".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RB24V4/

41iqMOtumxL.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #431 of 1,541

CABLES:

I REALLY like quality of the braided SE & Balanced cables. They are about the perfect length for me as well. The included controls and microphone on the 3.5mm TRRS cable are very nice, and the ability to instantly switch between iOS and Android modes is a plus. But the mic/playback/volume controls do seem just a bit too close in line to the earpiece. It sits JUST below my chin and rests in my scruffy beard, which makes it a bit difficult to locate sometimes, haha. ...

They are indeed good cables. I just wish the control set on the3.5mm was optional/removable.

But the tiny Cable Cinch is so small and slick that it's really difficult to engage and doesn't work very well for me...and I don't have large, sausage-finger hands. I might see if I can add a simple short length of heatshrink tubing as a sliding cable cinch instead.

I agree about the cinch. Also, since one side is open the cable can easily get pulled out, especially when cinched behind the head which I usually prefer.

EAR TIPS:

NONE of the included ear tips worked well for me either! ... The best overall ear tips (for me) were the MEE Audio medium double-flange white silicone tips from their variety pack. ...

Same. This is the area I feel AKG dropped the ball on with this N5005, lack of ear tip selection.

Good impressions tho', bb!

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #432 of 1,541
Finally trying the JVC spiral dots on the N5005. Not bad at all. I don't know what took me so long. This tips really make mid instruments such as the trombone and electric guitar shine. Vocals are enhanced too with nice micro details. I'm listening through my Sony Nw-ZX100. Haven't decided yet if these tips or the UE900s suit me better. Both offer something nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back