AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Apr 15, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #407 of 1,541
I spent some time tip rolling today as although the Comply tips worked for me, I take my IEMs on and off constantly to talk to family which is cumbersome with foamies.

Here are my findings:

1. I would advise everyone against using 400 series Comply tips - several users reported 500s work fine. The 400s can be extremely difficult to take off. Even heating them up prior to removal (to soften the core), I still ended up having to use small tweezers to pull on the core from the small lip at the top, close to the filter before twisting the ear tip off - ALWAYS TWIST THE TIP COUNTER CLOCKWISE OTHERWISE YOU CAN STRIP THE THREADING ON THE FILTER (over tightening). It's is very easy to damage the filter doing this.

2. As the IEM is vented, deep insertion does not cause awkward negative/positive pressure issues in the ear canal. Soundstage is unaffected as the distance from driver to eardrum remains unchanged - only the ear tip sits deeper; you'll see what I mean below.

3. The winning tips, BY FAR, were the standard Medium Sony Hybrid tips. Although they look identical to the AKG included medium tips (even the core is the same color) they have two differences which allow them to be placed very far on the IEM nozzle without coming off, shifting position or going lopsided on the nozzle:
-The core is smaller than the barrel and as such grips on very well
- The inner core has a notch which slots perfectly in the groove between the filter and the IEM nozzle (where the little seal is)

Proof that once they are on, they're not going anywhere:

The sound with these tips is comparable to the AKG medium black tips - perhaps a tad better sub bass extension and soundstage but that could well be placebo.

TL : DR - The Sony Hybrid tips, when placed far on the nozzle, solved my fit issues and hold a seal for eternity without having to readjust. Sound quality is unaffected, if not marginally better when compared to the stock preinstalled tips.

For your viewing pleasure:

4. Runner ups: Hifiman RE400 Dual Flange Medium tips - they have the same notch I mentioned for the Sony Hybrids and as a result can also be installed, securely, on the edge of the nozzle:

Would it be possible to place a warning in the OP against using Comply 400s due to tight fit making them extremely difficult to remove? McCol mentioned the same and he thought that may have contributed to his first N5005s breaking as it was a struggle taking them off, which I can definately vouch for:

I sometimes think my use of the ts400 tip may have caused my first N5005 to break- it was a struggle!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #408 of 1,541
Thanks for your time and suggestions. Greatly appreciated!

Thanks! I'd say that's a fairly strong statement. :) For some reason it's hard for me to part with these types of things even when they've been replaced with something better. :p Having the N5005's, could you also live without the Flare Gold's or UM ME1's? Or are they just as good (or better), but just different flavours?
Ericp10 response: I own the ME.1 (been giving the N5005 a little break). So ME.1 has been in my ears most of the week. I would have to keep both. One sound signature is totally different than the other (remember that the ME.1 is a planar driver). Even more so than the N5005, the ME.1 benefits from an amp. Listening with an amp, the ME.1's sound is quite a bit fuller than the N5005 (that's not to say the AKG's sound is thin). In addition, the ME.1's sound is more mid-centric than the N5005. Both have great detail, but I think the BAs clarity of the N5005 is bit more penetrating. The ME.1, on the other hand, has a more cohesive sound and timbre. Both are stunning earphones in their own right.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #409 of 1,541
I'm thinking on purchase but it is still confused in AptX (and AptX HD) support...
Here in the threads I read that isn't support, but I found this on the AKG's website (Q&A):

· a month ago
Still confused. Is the Bluetooth aptX? In a previous question you have given two conflicting answers. Thanks
1answer

Originally posted on AKG N5005

1. · a month ago

Hi

Yes, the AKG N5005 supports APT-X on Bluetooth.

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Earbuds/AKG+N5005.html

Has anybody real information???
Thanks!

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #410 of 1,541
I'm thinking on purchase but it is still confused in AptX (and AptX HD) support...
Here in the threads I read that isn't support, but I found this on the AKG's website (Q&A):

· a month ago
Still confused. Is the Bluetooth aptX? In a previous question you have given two conflicting answers. Thanks
1answer

1. · a month ago

Hi

Thanks!

y4mYriFSW1BMcUDIgcIVjIqsLX1HwMfX1KuDwPhLyiqZVkNvp_D7PuASR-EgPS4SWVzgrI0Q52RPcct7BIyHK6JPKHUGyxjyKBJr8wdf7-CruJxjRHL1zSP3orE2MdLMyqvN1i8y9UpKC_C5N8dYDRSUNNAL0tbBX3hC7RzTAXda_YoYJ22MitIt31dmFWq0NX9syotNr4gz9sLZDHKIIO9Iw

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #411 of 1,541
I looked at aptx vs wired (and SBC) in regards to FR, distortion.

Here is the aptx with the Bass filter compared to the wired Google Dac running from my Pixel 2:

y4mAUOD5Na9X-5rLbAReUj4w5tAtr371bSfqpPJoydVN8a5f3-4oPqJ5Ex0N0U7jOMK8v3Kc6af5JpZ70Omrnh9x3WmP5v_Xm42jSevycrn5tGFMWUx7w97Y4SrDO3fFBUQc3C7bcqepVPJcu4XQcYZe0cf3PrKnzxJJLLNTYVRJPyv0OfKiDIz_iv3yeaVncPYRPp9yWRLJnd4i5AUgEkzBA

There is a strange 5 K notch, but otherwise it is very close to wired.

Distortion was also close:
Wired:
y4mvgaaS0pBWh7YX7akpcg8xTVw4JO1BrJ0RXxmQJaO27BU0Ss4yGQ-L1v_1WNA3fTs5uufMoo6lNH7iwEiWvqfBz7ey5a2B6pjd151uNph5YFF4pR34LSqAcFq8-0kZMye08erSIBbWzTDLvBDUlYH3aURfdkUiT45RgiCEchGGa5VSv3BL3R3Y_09200mC4H-4rIkuawSawA0SZpgd_e9nQ

aptx:
y4m062dOzQp4xwIwyEh88zM0_PtmfWo1O6RXU8ZJJO9zT824gj_klgdj1Ctmid80HfGqm47fUY2FSvNOSp_gwwT2EfjEbkJQqoJ2mo8Esj6kReDRrX07b4FlMXhrr05XNtlxYbKt0v_LAWws4jnTmB9-dpx50wswLqKTSv1KIIONzo_FodeJr6AM0WyknEp1XhJOCDGMUgg9RUXfas4Q3cGFw

I also took a look at sbc codec and it was very close to the aptx, including the notch.

The bluetooth unit output impedance to the transducers may be a bit high (5-6 ohms?)
The se846 has an impedance drop about 4khz that would be expected to be proportional to the increase in amplifier impedance:

y4m_DXM8-XT-rQ9ttKS7Unav9qWpqdd7ZbuuoMGTS25bwmlieTwe5lrz5NvjEklswDDRMB8mhk9AwoEIrhXgNuDCQemq2MPRfKPBQjn8X_CpmCqyQPpGsZRSXg5JtNSrSRvNULi-tbxA1ihjfRciKmPDp45-ahdbOvvdFLA8PTZPmtVS6MQYzOER0atw1vAfyTUyqoI7wWl4mXA8Gqo10w_rQ

However, this does not seem to be an issue with AKG's own IEM.

Bottom line
Pretty good FR/distortion
Weird notch at 5khz (I repeated this many times)

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #412 of 1,541

· a month ago
1answer

1. · a month ago

Hi

Thanks!

Thanks for that! I haven't received mine yet but I was still trying to determine this as well. I couldn't fathom that a set of flagship/TOTL IEMs would not have this if they decided to include a Bluetooth adapter.

The use of APT-X CSR requires licensing, so every other product that I've seen that uses it displays the "Apt-X CSR" Logo on the box or packaging. I didn't see anything but the standard Bluetooth symbol on the box. Weird.

Definitely happy that it does support Apt-X!

THANKS!

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #413 of 1,541
I looked at aptx vs wired (and SBC) in regards to FR, distortion.

Here is the aptx with the Bass filter compared to the wired Google Dac running from my Pixel 2:

There is a strange 5 K notch, but otherwise it is very close to wired.

Distortion was also close:
Wired:

aptx:

I also took a look at sbc codec and it was very close to the aptx, including the notch.

The bluetooth unit output impedance to the transducers may be a bit high (5-6 ohms?)
The se846 has an impedance drop about 4khz that would be expected to be proportional to the increase in amplifier impedance:

However, this does not seem to be an issue with AKG's own IEM.

Bottom line
Pretty good FR/distortion
Weird notch at 5khz (I repeated this many times)

Thanks for the measurements. Great to see that the overall FR isn't affected much using Bluetooth with the N5005. :)

Hmmm...the 5kHz notch is weird.

And a 5dB FR Delta over most of the bandwidth with the SE846 would be really noticeable! Probably right about the impedance mismatch. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #415 of 1,541
That 5 khz dip was not present in the test of the se846.
In addition it was the same when I tested the sbc codec.

The new pixel is able to run aptx, aptx HD, aac, ldac as well as 16,24,32 bit, 44.1,48 khz sample rates. I tried them all but was only able to get 16/44.1 or 48 to work on sbc or plain aptx.

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #416 of 1,541
I don't think so - the BT is working around 2.4GHz
Haha, yeah. Brain fart. Just realized that and edited my post before I saw your reply.

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #418 of 1,541
That's sort of my impression as well, or rather calling it V shape, I say the mids are more recessed compare to K3003. At the end of the day it just didn't win me over from the K3003, so RMA requested and will be going back to AKG. At least their return policy is really good.

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #420 of 1,541
No sign of a V-shaped sound to my ears either, far from it.
I never make judgements from a chart, my ears are my judge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back