AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Apr 9, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #377 of 1,545
Today on the Cymbacavum FB page, Tom re-shared a link to a short but informative N5005 write up: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...ones-.html?soid=1104292817535&aid=uT9pxQkK3Lk

It's about half way down the page, titled AKG New Upscale In-Ear Reference Headphones.

Thanks for posting this. It is a good read and makes me appreciate the N5005 more than I already did.

As for those Exelento tips, I cannot find via Amazon or eBay. Is the only source via e-earphone.jp?

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #378 of 1,545
Apr 9, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #379 of 1,545
Interesting, although I would appreciate some feedback from Tom and yourself on how it sound :wink:

+1... needs an epic three page 2000J style treatment from Mr. T. & the Gang

20787207.gif

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #381 of 1,545
I'm SO SO CLOSE to hitting the "Buy It Now" button with these, but can't get myself to commit, d@mn it! :D There are just too many choices in this price range...it doesn't make it an easy decision. :/

For the gentlemen & women out there that have these, BUT also have other Universal IEMs in the $1,000 range, would you buy the AKG N5005 again if yours were lost, damaged, or stolen???

The most important factors for me are:

1. Fit & Extended Listening Comfort.

2. An overall "Balanced" sound signature.

3. Accuracy/Realism with Acoustic Instruments & Vocals. I'm a musician...drums/percussion, saxophone, and a bit of bass guitar. I also have a home recording studio set up and would also like to use these for monitoring while recording myself and as another reference when mixing, but also for casual listening.

3. Detailed & "Airy" but not harsh or fatiguing.

4. Tight, Accurate, Detailed Bass Response. Not bloated or over-exaggerated, but not too lean either.

5. Great Imaging & Sound Stage. I'm really into hearing/experiencing an accurate/wide/deep Sound Stage when the recording allows it.

Current Gear:

iBasso DX90
iBasso DX200 with stock Amp 1
HiBy R6 (on the way/not in hand)
Oppo HA-1
Audio-gd NFB-28 (sold but wish I hadn't!)
Little.Labs "Monotor" Headphone Amp (HIGHLY Recommend!)
JBL LSR-305 Studio Monitors
Neumann KH 120 Studio Monitors
Infinity Beta 15x DIY Subwoofer
Mytek Brooklyn ADC (not DAC)
Audient iD22 & Arturia AudioFuse Recording Interfaces/ADC/DAC/Headphone Amps/Phono Preamp
ZOOM H6 portable Hi-Res recorder
Samsung Galaxy Note FE (Note 7) & Tab S2 8.0 LTE w/ USB Audio Player Pro app
Beyerdynamic T1 v1 SE & Balanced, with acoustic mods & Sonarworks calibration.
AKG K553 PRO with Sonarworks calibration.
Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium 250 Ohm.
Grado SR125 w/ Senn. yellow foam earpads
Ora Sound Graphene Q Headphones (on the way/not in hand)

I really want to stick with universal IEMs and a ~$1,000 price range, though I've been contemplating the Noble Kaiser Encore universals, ha, but really Do Not want to spend that much!

Music/Listening Preferences:

Jazz Background, Be-Bop, Big-Band/Swing (more traditional "classic" stuff...think Miles' Kind of Blue)
Classical & selective Opera
Blues/Delta Blues
FUNK
Acoustic/Folk/Singer/Songwriter
A bit of Bluegrass & Americana
'80s/'90s/2000s Trip-Hop/Hip-Hop/Pop/New Wave/Alt. Rock/Grunge/Metal/Dance/Trance/Electronica/D'n'B
Selective Hard Rock & Prog Rock

I basically listen to everything EXCEPT for Country music, most of the harder/modern Rap & Hip-Hop, and the harder Metal/Speed Metal/Death Metal, etc. Though there are occasions for a bit of all of these at times as well. :wink:

So what ye say, Head-Fi'ers??? What other u-IEMs should I be considering in the ~$1,000 range?

My gut feeling is to go with the AKG's due to the work done by Dr. Sean Olive @ Harmon regarding Target Curve research and his involvement in the development of these u-IEMs. I've found that the Harmon/JBL Target Curve correlates extremely well with my preferences in both my home and car audio systems (the latter with a Helix DSP PRO MK2 for processing).

TIA!!!

B.B. 'da Noob

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #382 of 1,545
851DA305-C4B1-4EAE-A5BC-4CFA32520474.jpeg

Man, I need more free time so I can compare all these. I briefly compared the LZ-A4 with red back and black front filters to the n5005 with med high boost filter, the Lz bass was flabby by comparison (not a way I’d ever previously describe their bass) and the mids felt artificially boosted after listening to the akgs. With the n5005 you could distinguish each finger pluck of the double bass easily. On the track I used (just a boy by Angus stone) the n5005 portrayed the brush on the snare perfectly and the background shaker was obvious, on the Lzs it wasn’t so obvious that the snare was brushed and I couldn’t hear the shaker as clearly, generally lacking in the details.

With so many filter and tip choices all around it’s really hard to provide a good comparison between these. I know they’re both great monitors though.

K3003 and xelento may be an easier comparison given I only like the reference filter on the k3003 and the xelento have none.

One of these days I May end up with a clear preference. For now back to enjoying the music while I work.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #383 of 1,545
I'm SO SO CLOSE to hitting the "Buy It Now" button with these, but can't get myself to commit, d@mn it! :D There are just too many choices in this price range...it doesn't make it an easy decision. :/

3. Accuracy/Realism with Acoustic Instruments & Vocals. I'm a musician...drums/percussion, saxophone, and a bit of bass guitar. I also have a home recording studio set up and would also like to use these for monitoring while recording myself and as another reference when mixing, but also for casual listening.

4. Tight, Accurate, Detailed Bass Response. Not bloated or over-exaggerated, but not too lean either.

5. Great Imaging & Sound Stage. I'm really into hearing/experiencing an accurate/wide/deep Sound Stage when the recording allows it.

Current Gear:

Current Gear:

iBasso DX90
Oppo HA-1
Audient iD22 & Arturia AudioFuse Recording Interfaces/ADC/DAC/Headphone Amps/Phono Preamp

I really want to stick with universal IEMs and a ~$1,000 price range, though I've been contemplating the Noble Kaiser Encore universals, ha, but really Do Not want to spend that much!

Jazz Background, Be-Bop, Big-Band/Swing (more traditional "classic" stuff...think Miles' Kind of Blue)
Blues/Delta Blues
FUNK
'80s/'90s/2000s Trip-Hop/Hip-Hop/Pop/New Wave/Alt. Rock/Grunge/Metal/Dance/Trance/Electronica/D'n'B

So what ye say, Head-Fi'ers??? What other u-IEMs should I be considering in the ~$1,000 range?

My gut feeling is to go with the AKG's due to the work done by Dr. Sean Olive @ Harmon regarding Target Curve research and his involvement in the development of these u-IEMs. I've found that the Harmon/JBL Target Curve correlates extremely well with my preferences in both my home and car audio systems (the latter with a Helix DSP PRO MK2 for processing).

TIA!!!

B.B. 'da Noob

Sounds like the CA Andromeda could be a perfect match/alternative for you! It s really as good as people say and fits very much to your description!

The AKG is fine, too! I have heard it for only for 10 minutes, but I really liked it.
It has a different signature than the Andromeda (that I own), though.
I`d definitely say that the Andromeda pronounces the mids more (good for acoustic), has more stage and a dryer bass.
The AKG in direct comparison sounded slightly (but only slightly) V-Shaped to me and has a different type of (but also really good!) bass - a little softer, deeper and with longer decay (typical for dynamic driver/Hybrid).
I think in the end it`s a lot about whether you prefer BA driver sound or Hybrid.
Another IEM in that price range that I could definitely recommend is the Fidue Sirius (that I also own)!
It has similar specs like the AKG (Hybrid, too), but is leaning more towards pronounced mids, like the Andromeda. It sounds the fullest of the three IEMs, but also isn`t over pronounced in the bass department and is very airy!

But in the end they are all excellent IEMs, you can`t go wrong with none of them, imo...:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #384 of 1,545

For the gentlemen & women out there that have these, BUT also have other Universal IEMs in the $1,000 range, would you buy the AKG N5005 again if yours were lost, damaged, or stolen???

Current Gear:

iBasso DX90
Oppo HA-1

Blues/Delta Blues
FUNK

I basically listen to everything EXCEPT for Country music, most of the harder/modern Rap & Hip-Hop, and the harder Metal/Speed Metal/Death Metal, etc. Though there are occasions for a bit of all of these at times as well. :wink:

TIA!!!

B.B. 'da Noob

In a word - Yes. I sold my Sennheiser IE800s as I think these are a better earphone.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #385 of 1,545
Sounds like the CA Andromeda could be a perfect match/alternative for you! It s really as good as people say and fits very much to your description!

The AKG is fine, too! I have heard it for only for 10 minutes, but I really liked it.
It has a different signature than the Andromeda (that I own), though.
I`d definitely say that the Andromeda pronounces the mids more (good for acoustic), has more stage and a dryer bass.
The AKG in direct comparison sounded slightly (but only slightly) V-Shaped to me and has a different type of (but also really good!) bass - a little softer with longer decay (typical for dynamic driver/Hybrid).
I think in the end it`s a lot about whether you prefer BA driver sound or Hybrid.
Another IEM in that price range that I could definitely recommend is the Fidue Sirius (that I also own)!
It has similar specs like the AKG (Hybrid, too), but is leaning more towards pronounced mids, like the Andromeda. It sounds the fullest of the three IEMs, but also isn`t over pronounced in the bass department and is very airy!

But in the end they are all excellent IEMs, you can`t go wrong with non of them, imo...:smile_phones:

Thanks for your time and suggestions. Greatly appreciated!

I live in SoCal but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to CanJam. :frowning2: I would really have loved to try a lot of these at the show and also maybe score a good deal there as well. Super bummed. It's very difficult to interpret everyone's subjective impressions on the qualities of sound or "sound signature".

I'm not really a fan of all the subjective terms we often use to "describe" sound characteristics. Warm, Punchy, Smooth, and so on... Everyone has different ideas of what these terms mean, and to what degree, and also have vastly different preferences.

The best way I can correlate impressions of the characteristics of sound is to relate it to real, live, acoustic instruments that we all know. Violin, cello, grand piano, saxophone, trumpet, drums/percussion/cymbals, human voice, etc. IMO, if it sounds accurate, lifelike, and realistic, I know that it's doing what I want, or at least I have a better place to start when describing what it isn't doing right.

In a word - Yes. I sold my Sennheiser IE800s as I think these are a better earphone.

Thanks! I'd say that's a fairly strong statement. :) For some reason it's hard for me to part with these types of things even when they've been replaced with something better. :p Having the N5005's, could you also live without the Flare Gold's or UM ME1's? Or are they just as good (or better), but just different flavours?

Also, does anyone have any tips on U.S. dealers that might offer a bit of a discount on these other than Audio46 in NYC? According to their 15 day return policy you can't return IEMs. I understand why, but you get a 30 day return window if you buy direct from AKG. However, even with their $50 U.S. Newsletter Signup Discount & Free 2-day Shipping, that basically gets eaten up by CA taxes. 1st world problems, I know! :p

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #386 of 1,545
Thanks for your time and suggestions. Greatly appreciated!

I live in SoCal but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to CanJam. :frowning2: I would really have loved to try a lot of these at the show and also maybe score a good deal there as well. Super bummed. It's very difficult to interpret everyone's subjective impressions on the qualities of sound or "sound signature".

I'm not really a fan of all the subjective terms we often use to "describe" sound characteristics. Warm, Punchy, Smooth, and so on... Everyone has different ideas of what these terms mean, and to what degree, and also vastly different preferences.

The best way I can correlate impressions of the characteristics of sound is to relate it to real, live, acoustic instruments that we all know. Violin, cello, grand piano, saxophone, trumpet, drums/percussion/cymbals, human voice, etc. IMO, if it sounds accurate, lifelike, and realistic, I know that it's doing what I want, or at least have a better place to start when describing what it isn't doing right.

Thanks! I'd say that's a fairly strong statement. :) For some reason it's hard for me to part with these types of things even when they've been replaced with something better. :p Having the N5005's, could you live without the Flare Gold's or UM ME1's? Or are they just as good (or better), but just different flavours?

Also, does anyone have any tips on U.S. dealers that might offer a bit of a discount on these other than Audio46? According to their 15 day return policy you can't return IEMs. I understand why, but you get a 30 day return window if you buy direct from AKG. However, even with their $50 U.S. Discount & Free 2-day Shipping, that basically gets eaten up by CA taxes. 1st world problems, I know! :p

They are indeed different flavours, on a technical level the N5005 are probably better but I love the other 2 and the IMR R1 is also another great earphone. For the first time in the 15 uears of buying earphones that others think is a form of madness (outside of headfi!!) I’m at a stage where I can’t see me selling any of this current crop. I’ve also got the Massdrop Kaiser 10U on order.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #388 of 1,545
The Xelento tips weren't bad but I found the isolation was very poor with them i.e significantly worse than on the actual Xelento IEMs. I've settled on the Comply TS-400 as the sound, comfort and isolation are all on point for my weird ear holes. Perhaps next round I will buy TS-500 instead as the 400s are very tight. A trick I used was to insert needle nose pliers inside the tip core to expand it a bit prior to installation - this worked a treat as the core, albeit stiff, is flexible. For those that tried the 500 size, do they stay on (the IEM) properly?

I'll likely try the treble filters when these Comply tips require replacement. It's just metal wax guard, zero foam - would be cool to see what the raw drivers sound like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back