AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Sep 10, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #661 of 1,541
sorry, shooting the 'blank' anyone care to compare the N5005 to Westone W60?

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #662 of 1,541
the only IEMs I had before upgrading to the N5005 were the W40.
To me the reaction I had when first listening to the W40 comming from apple buds included with every ipod was about the same as when I listened to the N5005 the first time comming from the W40, that was a huge step up and I never touched the W40 again.

the only thing I missed at first was the comfort, by now I've gotten used to the N5005 and the difference isnt that big anymore, the N5005 too is very comfortable, not westone w- series levels of comfortable but definitively up there, I can easily wear them all day long :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #663 of 1,541
New to this thread: Has anyone compared these to the Shure KSE 1200/1500?

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #664 of 1,541
Sep 11, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #665 of 1,541
thanks berzerk428!

Sep 11, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #666 of 1,541
Hello everybody!

I am Gerard from Antwerp in Belgium. I am a complete beginner in the World of headphones and dap’s.
I would like to excuse myself for my bad English because I am not a native speaker.
Like I said before, I’m a beginner so would really appreciate your help!

Really excited about the N5005! Altough I have Some questions.
- I have a iPhone X. Mostly I will listen with the BT dongle. Sometimes at home, I will use a cable. When I pay that amount of money, will the iPhone X provide enough quality to experience the most out of the n5005?

- Is it recommended to buy a DAP separately? What DAP do you recommend? Heard some good stuff about the shanling m3s. Is this dap more than sufficiënt? Or would only a very high end dap be sufficient to get the most of the N5005? What other dap’s could I consider? I am not an audio expert! :)

- Is there any experience with riding a bike with this headphones? Do you hear the wind in your ears?
Any experiences?

I really love AKG! I have the N20 and they sound fantastic! Really excited about the N5005 and the differences in between!

Thank you for any answers!

Greetings from Belgium.

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #667 of 1,541
New to this thread: Has anyone compared these to the Shure KSE 1200/1500?

please take my opinion as biased. i only heard the KSEs for a short while at a HeadFi meet over a year ago. I really liked them and i thought they were one of (if not the the best) IEMs I had ever heard.
BUT the AKG can be used without the amp, with Bluetooth, has four filters, and is more comfortable. I also think the AKG might sound better, but it has been so long I'm hard pressed to take a firm stance. I had previously longed for a KSE, the 5005 has made that feeling vanish.

Hello everybody!

- I have a iPhone X. Mostly I will listen with the BT dongle. Sometimes at home, I will use a cable. When I pay that amount of money, will the iPhone X provide enough quality to experience the most out of the n5005?

- Is it recommended to buy a DAP separately? What DAP do you recommend? Heard some good stuff about the shanling m3s. Is this dap more than sufficiënt? Or would only a very high end dap be sufficient to get the most of the N5005? What other dap’s could I consider? I am not an audio expert! :)

- Is there any experience with riding a bike with this headphones? Do you hear the wind in your ears?
Any experiences?

I have used this from my phone, via bluetooth, and two different schiit stacks. i think as long as your source files are good and you don't have a noisy player you will be fine. one thing to note is the filters block out some sound so with the "reference" or "bass boost" filters you might run into volume limits on your phone if you like to listen loud.

i have been sastified just running via my phone on to go but a separate AMP doesn't really do any harm. I would use them buy themselves and then see if you want to add on an AMP or something else too.

haven't tried biking with them. I would think to an extent as long as you have a good seal it would be OK, but it is probably best to test first.

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #668 of 1,541
IMPORTANT ANNOUCMENT FOR ALL 5005 OWNERS!

I talked to Sean Olive last week & he told me to use the MID HIGH BOOST filters for accuracy, this gives you the best frequency response. having tried them , I can confidently say he was right. the mid high boost is fantastic and makes this sound like a 3003 with better bass and more accurate treble.

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #670 of 1,541
Anyone have the Noble Kaiser Encore and can make a briefly comparison with the N5005?

I don’t own both, but did compare my Encore with the 5005 at the London Canjam, so was a relatively brief affair & not in ideal conditions. Can’t give you a detailed breakdown, but the Encore has a much ‘thicker’ signature - especially in the mids. I thought the n5005 is more like Noble’s Katana than the Encore - although the n5005 is a lot harder to drive than both. For what it’s worth, I’d have bought the n5005 on the spot if I’d had the cash.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #671 of 1,541
What kind of mysterious cable this earphones use?

I tried one MMCX cable that I bought with Plussound and I use with my Andromeda and Atlas, but it doesn't connect, and I tried another one from Campfire Audio. It's like the hole is too wide for the plugs of these cables.

Anyone tried another kind of cable, brand...?

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #672 of 1,541
^
AKG employ a proprietary MMCX connector on the N5005. The connecting tip flange is a bit deeper than regular MMCX. So if you want to use a custom cable for these IEMS you will have to seek out ones that specifically have the N5005 fit. The cable I bought from Beat Audio Lab fits perfectly. I wanted a 3.5mm SE that did not have the inline mic controller. Otherwise the included cables for the N5005 are top notch imo.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #674 of 1,541
Just purchased my N5005 today :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back