AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
May 24, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #482 of 1,541
Wonder how it would compare with the SE846 which is at a similar price range.

This is the one comparison I’ve seen:

http://majorhifi.com/akg-n5005-vs-shure-se846-earphone-comparison-review/

I’ll be getting my N5005 early next month, but the best I can do is a comparison by memory since I haven’t heard the SE846 in a while (FWIW, I found them too dark with almost no treble, though the bass was exceptional). Hopefully someone else can help you out better :)

May 24, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #483 of 1,541
just pulled the trigger and started waiting for shipping notification, which should be around July 14th

Have to say I`m a little bit regreted that I canceled the first order.

By the way, are there any recommendations of desktop DAC/AMP at similar price range, that is suitable for n5005? Options with neutral tuning are more preferred.

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #484 of 1,541
Go back couple of pages and check out my impression of SE846 vs N5005. I didn't come away with the same conclusion as the comparison you linked. TO me, the SE846 is not even in the same class, honestly I personally think SE846 is overhyped for the price. It lacks the clarity and really on the warm side in comparison to N5005. If I have to choose between the 2, I would say N5005 is miles ahead.

May 24, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #485 of 1,541
Go back couple of pages and check out my impression of SE846 vs N5005. I didn't come away with the same conclusion as the comparison you linked. TO me, the SE846 is not even in the same class, honestly I personally think SE846 is overhyped for the price. It lacks the clarity and really on the warm side in comparison to N5005. If I have to choose between the 2, I would say N5005 is miles ahead.

I’d believe it - I personally thought my Andromedas and the K3003i were much better than the SE846 - the treble roll-off on the Shures is too severe for me. Obviously I can’t compare to the N5005 since I don’t have mine yet, but the impressions so far give me confidence that I’ll like the AKGs more. Sorry, I didn’t remember your comparison since I hadn’t been on this thread in a while - appreciate it :)

May 26, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #487 of 1,541
I demo’d these in-store (Headfoneshop) and they sound incredible.

Amazing resolution and detail. The voices sound life-like and breathy. Bass was controlled and non-sibiliance from treble despite amazing detail. They can stand toe to toe with my EE Bravados + custom pure silver cable.

And this was with the Bluetooth cable on.

O_O

May 26, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #488 of 1,541
I demo’d these in-store (Headfoneshop) and they sound incredible.

And this was with the Bluetooth cable on.

O_O

I received my set from Headfoneshop. Charles was excellent to e-communicate since I live way out in western Canada. Although I have not bothered trying the BT cable yet Charles did inform me that it is the first BT-capable IEM he's tried that actually sounds very good.

Did you buy the N5005? Or plan to now that you've demo'd?

May 26, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #489 of 1,541
I received my set from Headfoneshop. Charles was excellent to e-communicate since I live way out in western Canada. Although I have not bothered trying the BT cable yet Charles did inform me that it is the first BT-capable IEM he's tried that actually sounds very good.

Did you buy the N5005? Or plan to now that you've demo'd?

If my income ever allows me to haha.

May 26, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #490 of 1,541
I just downloaded (Zinio) the latest June 2018 issue of Hi-Fi News magazine. It includes a well written and very positive 3 page review of the N5005. Worth a read if you own, or are considering, these IEMs.

May 28, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #491 of 1,541
Finally hooked up the N5005 Bluetooth to my Shanling M3s (high-quality level)! First time I've heard BT that equal some cable levels I've heard (good cable levels). Job well done - again - AKG!

May 29, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #492 of 1,541
Got an email last night from Headphonebar in Vancouver. They're offering -$300CAD if you preorder by May 31'st. They ship June 1st. List price is $1,499CAD. Really wish I had the money to pull the trigger. Just wondering what kind of price are you guys finding it for and if I can get them at a decent price later on down the road.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #493 of 1,541
Got an email last night from Headphonebar in Vancouver. They're offering -$300CAD if you preorder by May 31'st. They ship June 1st. List price is $1,499CAD. Really wish I had the money to pull the trigger. Just wondering what kind of price are you guys finding it for and if I can get them at a decent price later on down the road.

Since you're in Toronto you should take the opportunity to talk to Charlie @ Headfoneshop. I ordered mine through him and got at an equally discounted price a month or so go.

On another note, I decided to finally try different filters in the IEM and opted for the Bass Boost. Wow! The overall "brightness" I was experiencing from the "Reference" filter prior with most DAPs: gone. The bass isn't at all overwhelming despite the hint of "boost" and everything sounds richer and warm. I am even happier now than when first listening to these.

May 29, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #494 of 1,541
Thanks for the referral.

Since you're in Toronto you should take the opportunity to talk to Charlie @ Headfoneshop. I ordered mine through him and got at an equally discounted price a month or so go.

On another note, I decided to finally try different filters in the IEM and opted for the Bass Boost. Wow! The overall "brightness" I was experiencing from the "Reference" filter prior with most DAPs: gone. The bass isn't at all overwhelming despite the hint of "boost" and everything sounds richer and warm. I am even happier now than when first listening to these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back