AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Apr 2, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #271 of 1,541
... but what I find with the reference filter on the N5005 is that they are like a modern version of the Ety Er4.

The sound is somewhat warmer than the K3003.

Thanks for your impressions, guys! However, this got me confused: the K3003 with reference filters are decidedly warmer than the Ety Er4. So how can the N5005 be at the same time warmer than the K3003 and like a modern version of the Ety Er4?

Also, @McCol: Could you please give a brief comparison of sound signatures between the Flare Gold and N5005? Thanks!

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #272 of 1,541
Thanks for your impressions, guys! However, this got me confused: the K3003 with reference filters are decidedly warmer than the Ety Er4. So how can the N5005 be at the same time warmer than the K3003 and like a modern version of the Ety Er4?

Also, @McCol: Could you please give a brief comparison of sound signatures between the Flare Gold and N5005? Thanks!

Possibly not explained that well, not always the best at getting what I hear into words, hence the lack of reviews.

When I say like the Ety what I kind of mean is that when I first listened with a decent fit and every time since the N5005’s treble response reminds of the Ety in terms of its pace and accuracy. Where they differ though is in the body and depth to the sound, with the Ety I was always left wanting a bit more depth from the experience and more of a bass presence. The N5005 to my ears have that crisp high sound that I used to love from the Er4 but they give me more in the mids and definitely more in the bass response, they also give more soundstage to the music than the Ety’s did.

Talking about soundstage brings me on nicely to the N5005 in comparison to the Flare Golds.
The Golds have more depth and width to the music with more of a bass rumble(sub bass as some say??) but not necessarily better bass detail if that makes sense. The mids, highs and detail are more present in the N5005 but with a shallower depth.

I couldn’t pick one over the other though, Flare have done something quite special with the Golds, very musical and engaging, I can listen for hours and they just sound sublime to me. My time with the N5005 is less than the Golds so far but they also are very non fatiguing and just seem to sound better every time I use them. Balanced from the ibasso dx200 is stunning.

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #273 of 1,541
Greetings from a fellow Scot (resident at least, in Edinburgh!) Good to hear that the cable fits the Xelento, I have that too, and third party cables are very hit and miss. Could you please provide some insight on Xelento vs N5005 with regards to sound quality - would you recommend getting the N5005 alongside the Xelento? I don't plan in replacing the latter, but would like the N5005 as a more neutral, "colder" iem for orchestral classical music in particular. Many thanks!

I wouldn’t call the n5005 cold but I get what you mean, it’s brings out the details more than the xelento for sure. I don’t listen to classical so can’t offer an opinion on how they perform with that genre but I like owning both. I use the xelento for electronic genres mainly because I love the sub bass they deliver. If you have the capacity to own both I would say do it! I’m not looking to buy any more iems for a long time, I’ve still got the k3003 too which again are different enough to warrant keeping.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #274 of 1,541
I wouldn’t call the n5005 cold but I get what you mean, it’s brings out the details more than the xelento for sure. I don’t listen to classical so can’t offer an opinion on how they perform with that genre but I like owning both. I use the xelento for electronic genres mainly because I love the sub bass they deliver. If you have the capacity to own both I would say do it! I’m not looking to buy any more iems for a long time, I’ve still got the k3003 too which again are different enough to warrant keeping.

Thanks, what I was looking for is the fact that they sit nicely side by side, and I wouldn’t “duplicate” things by getting the N5005 besides the Xelento. Which seems to be the case. Its good to see that their sound signature presents enough differences to justify keeping on to both. And the N5005 cables working on the Xelento is a great bonus - don’t have a balanced MMCX cable yet.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #275 of 1,541
Thanks, what I was looking for is the fact that they sit nicely side by side, and I wouldn’t “duplicate” things by getting the N5005 besides the Xelento. Which seems to be the case. Its good to see that their sound signature presents enough differences to justify keeping on to both. And the N5005 cables working on the Xelento is a great bonus - don’t have a balanced MMCX cable yet.

I’ve been using the Bluetooth cable on the xelento, I like it

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #276 of 1,541
Listening to a couple of albums - flac with dx200 this afternoon, Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and Loaded by The Velvet Underground and the more I listen to the N5005 the more I am thrilled by them. Lou Reeds vocals sound lush and the separation on these is excellent. The level of detail and depth of the bass on Sweet Nuthin’ really shows what the combo of DX200 and N5005 is capable off. I’m starting to think these have a bit of a bigger soundstage than I initially thought not as much as the Flares but I feel I’m in the centre of the music more with the AKG’s.

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #277 of 1,541
The 5005 are way better than the 3003.
Listening to the 5005 using the Questyle QP2R player on the balanced cable and it is one of the best IEM in my view.
I noticed that the supplied tips are too deep (distance between the tip and the earphone) and it doesn't fit well for me. Using the acoustune tip gave me a good seal and increases the bass and treble significantly.

I have a pair of focal clear headphone and the 5005 sound so good that I cant seems to put them down and switch over to the clear.

Sure they sound better than Clear, not 3003.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #280 of 1,541
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #282 of 1,541
I got the 10% discount but it was a few weeks ago. Try quidco as well, I’ve got £37 tracking although it could still get declined

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #284 of 1,541
Hey buddy I’m not sure where you are in Canada but in toronto there is the Headfone shop and he will be selling them there once he gets them in. He might even ship I’m not sure.

Thanks for the tip, pacman. I've been in communication with Charles @ Headfone Shop over the last several weeks since you suggested this. Stock finally arrived this week and I have ordered a pair.

So my plan will be to try SE cable with my AR-M2 (preferred dap) and balanced with DX200/Amp3 (2nd preferred dap). I'm really needing a pair of IEMs with a GOOD quality balanced cable, since all the 3rd party cables I have employ mediocre connectors of various types, depending on IEM.

Next test will be tips. Perhaps a set of the included tips will turn out to be good but usually I find double or triple-flanged silicons the best fit and seal. Hopefully I have a some tips in my Box Of Audio Gear Parts that will fit the nozzle of the N5005.

Never tried BT earphones either, so this could be a good introduction as well.

Looking forward to this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back