AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Apr 1, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #256 of 1,541
From the pictures, it looks the shell has some sort of collar which is too narrow for usual male connectors to lie flat and click. What a crapty modification.

Th akg cable fits my Beyer xelento and Lz A4s. It is a standard connector, just the colllar which prevents the mmcx from making contact. Not the end of the world but disappointing for sure. Still very happy with these, he sound sig is right up my alley.

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #257 of 1,541
Th akg cable fits my Beyer xelento and Lz A4s. It is a standard connector, just the colllar which prevents the mmcx from making contact. Not the end of the world but disappointing for sure. Still very happy with these, he sound sig is right up my alley.
Greetings from a fellow Scot (resident at least, in Edinburgh!) Good to hear that the cable fits the Xelento, I have that too, and third party cables are very hit and miss. Could you please provide some insight on Xelento vs N5005 with regards to sound quality - would you recommend getting the N5005 alongside the Xelento? I don't plan in replacing the latter, but would like the N5005 as a more neutral, "colder" iem for orchestral classical music in particular. Many thanks!

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #258 of 1,541
Greetings from a fellow Scot (resident at least, in Edinburgh!) Good to hear that the cable fits the Xelento, I have that too, and third party cables are very hit and miss. Could you please provide some insight on Xelento vs N5005 with regards to sound quality - would you recommend getting the N5005 alongside the Xelento? I don't plan in replacing the latter, but would like the N5005 as a more neutral, "colder" iem for orchestral classical music in particular. Many thanks!

Another fellow Scot here albeit living in North Devon.

Can’t help you with the Xelento comparison but what I find with the reference filter on the N5005 is that they are like a modern version of the Ety Er4. Treble is reproduced accurately and with the right amount of snap and pace, the main difference though is that the bass is better represented than the Ety’s, more presence and depth.
I’m finding the N5005 an excellent sounding iem using the reference filters, not ventured onto the others yet.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #260 of 1,541
How is the fit guys, is it a large IEM?

Have to get the ear tips in first (doesn't require deep insertion, but a good seal). After that, you press the body rest in the concha (pressed against as much as you can). That's how you get the best bass out of it. Now, this works for me; I know everyone's ear is shaped differently.

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #261 of 1,541
Have to get the ear tips in first (doesn't require deep insertion, but a good seal). After that, you press the body rest in the concha (pressed against as much as you can). That's how you get the best bass out of it. Now, this works for me; I know everyone's ear is shaped differently.

Will it be similar to Ultrasone IQ? I got a weird shaped ear, rather too small for my size.

I see you have the Em5813, which I like a lot, how is the bass atmosphere of N5005 compared to EM5813? What I love about the EM is how larger the sound is and how subtle detail stay in the mix without wanting to jump at you. This allows me to listen to music far longer with the 5813 than other other IEM I own.

I have been following the Harmon research for a long time and when I saw N5005 release and Mr Olive regarding N5005 been a product based on his latest research it surely got me excited.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #262 of 1,541
Will it be similar to Ultrasone IQ? I got a weird shaped ear, rather too small for my size.

I see you have the Em5813, which I like a lot, how is the bass atmosphere of N5005 compared to EM5813? What I love about the EM is how larger the sound is and how subtle detail stay in the mix without wanting to jump at you. This allows me to listen to music far longer with the 5813 than other other IEM I own.

I have been following the Harmon research for a long time and when I saw N5005 release and Mr Olive regarding N5005 been a product based on his latest research it surely got me excited.

Havent heard the EM5813 in awhile. I have to dig them out to tell you. I can't compare to the Ultrasone IQ.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #263 of 1,541

I’ve got a funny shaped right ear! Earphones often just start to slide out, always having to readjust with certain models over the years. With the N5005 I can get a good seal and fit with Comply tips but struggle with the supplied tips.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #264 of 1,541
Havent heard the EM5813 in awhile. I have to dig them out to tell you. I can't compare to the Ultrasone IQ.

I will say that my recollection of the EM5813 is that of a much darker (warmer) sound than theN5005. And the EM's shell are way heavier than the N5005 (although both are beautiful in their own right). The N5005 has incredible (stunning almost at this point) clarity in vocals. Soundstage is not as wide as the say something like LZ A5 (also a DD and four BAs), but instrument separation and airy space beats the A5. Bass is quite visceral and deep (even with the reference filters). Again, the clarity is laser-focused (maybe that is what the listener was trying to convey when he kept saying bright). But the sound is not harsh at all. The earphone sounds like some audiophile hi-fi stereo systems I've heard. this is what I hoped the K3003 would have sounded like. It sounds nothing like the K3003 (more clarity, less harshness, and more refined bass in the N5005). So if you're looking for an improved K3003, you will be disappointed. But I think it's the better TOTL AKG iem to my ears. The sound is somewhat warmer than the K3003.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #265 of 1,541
I’ve got a funny shaped right ear! Earphones often just start to slide out, always having to readjust with certain models over the years. With the N5005 I can get a good seal and fit with Comply tips but struggle with the supplied tips.

For me its the left ear, always struggle. Even with custom I struggle, had to get remolded two times and still not good enough so I gave up. Im not a fan of Comply sadly. For me they always muffle the sound, but I might give it a go with N5005, it is priced too good to say no.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #266 of 1,541
For me its the left ear, always struggle. Even with custom I struggle, had to get remolded two times and still not good enough so I gave up. Im not a fan of Comply sadly. For me they always muffle the sound, but I might give it a go with N5005, it is priced too good to say no.

Trust me the Comply doesn’t muffle the sound on the N5005, I think it’s partly because the tip sits just at the edge as opposed to a deeper insertion (if that makes sense), I’ve often found Comply muffle the sound but not with these.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #267 of 1,541

For my ears, it fits like a bulkier Westone W60. That's the best way I can describe the fit. The sound is superb! I am actually surprised I like them as much as I do with only a few days of listenings. The Slam of the bass is crazy when called for. Although totally different sound signatures, I would put the N5005 up there with my ME.1 in enjoyment factor. The refinement of the sound makes me think of the Final Audio Fi-ba-ss, EX1000 and Sony Z5 (but it doesn't sound like any of them per say).

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #268 of 1,541
One other thing, these iems dig out the details in the sound.

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #270 of 1,541
The 5005 are way better than the 3003.
Listening to the 5005 using the Questyle QP2R player on the balanced cable and it is one of the best IEM in my view.
I noticed that the supplied tips are too deep (distance between the tip and the earphone) and it doesn't fit well for me. Using the acoustune tip gave me a good seal and increases the bass and treble significantly.

I have a pair of focal clear headphone and the 5005 sound so good that I cant seems to put them down and switch over to the clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back