AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #242 of 1,539
Balanced from the Ibasso DX200 sounds excellent, feel like my N5005’s are really starting to open up now they have more hours on them.
Just to reiterate for those on those, absolutely no harshness or sibilance to my ears.

Mar 30, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #244 of 1,539
20D18152-26F5-4F62-9A25-0F66EDCF0198.png
Emailed AKG in regards about the MMCX connector. They just lost another customer.

On the side, anyone know how N5005 compared to N40? I own a pair of N40 and they sound good for its price.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #245 of 1,539
Unbelievable - and one day in the future when your original cable will brake you can't buy the replacement from AKG (Samsung).
This seems to be a planned obsolescence - this fact will definitely minimize the selling potential.

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #246 of 1,539
Unbelievable - and one day in the future when your original cable will brake you can't buy the replacement from AKG (Samsung).
This seems to be a planned obsolescence - this fact will definitely minimize the selling potential.
MMCX connectors are by far the most common on the market.
Ok this won't be the original cable, but you can buy dozens of MMCX cables from the Net from 15$ to 500$, ad you can litterally find sub-100$ cable that may be an improvement over the stock cable.

My latest fancy are 8-core cable with 4 copper cores and 4 SPC cores, they are still very pliable and bring out good bass (copper) and smooth treble (SPC), which usually makes them better than most 4-core cables.
You can now get them in the 50-90$ bracket.

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #247 of 1,539
MMCX connectors are by far the most common on the market.
Ok this won't be the original cable, but you can buy dozens of MMCX cables from the Net from 15$ to 500$, ad you can litterally find sub-100$ cable that may be an improvement over the stock cable.

My latest fancy are 8-core cable with 4 copper cores and 4 SPC cores, they are still very pliable and bring out good bass (copper) and smooth treble (SPC), which usually makes them better than most 4-core cables.
You can now get them in the 50-90$ bracket.

And you won’t be able to connect them. The collar on the 5005 is non standard so doesn’t accept standard mmc.

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #249 of 1,539
Where did AKG say you can't buy a replacement cable at all (not even from them)? I'll wait.

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #250 of 1,539
Where did AKG say you can't buy a replacement cable at all (not even from them)? I'll wait.

They said that you can buy a replacement cable only from them, they used a more propetary MMCX connector.

The point is no aftermarket cables unless they are specially made, not that you cannot replace the cable :)

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #251 of 1,539
They said that you can buy a replacement cable only from them, they used a more propetary MMCX connector.

The point is no aftermarket cables unless they are specially made, not that you cannot replace the cable :)

"Unbelievable - and one day in the future when your original cable will brake you can't buy the replacement from AKG (Samsung).
This seems to be a planned obsolescence - this fact will definitely minimize the selling potential." - Trebor1966

Well, it's a high-end item fellas. AKG has a right to have a proprietary MMCX cable. Sony has done it. Audio Technica has done it on some of their earphones. And it didn't minimize the selling potential of those products. I just hate to see the company misrepresented unfairly. If you don't like the product or can't afford it, those are different issues. But why say you can't get a cable replaced (even if only from that company) when that's not true? And trust, some outside companies will make that cable (probably without the blessing of AKG).

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #252 of 1,539
Just like with AT, they will get the connectors. Though I disagree on the selling potential. I passed some AT because of the connectors. I am sure I am not the only one that chose in favor of being able to use cables I have or having more options available.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #253 of 1,539
Is it just that little plastic collar around the socket that is preventing insertion? or is it some alteration to the MMCX design itself? Seems like you could probably mod a standard mmcx to fit if it's just the collar.
Personally I'd be more irritated that they went so far as to have a proprietary-ish connection but didn't actually address any flaws of the MMCX design (like fidue's sirius threaded retaining collar or q-jays threaded SSMCX do)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #254 of 1,539
"Unbelievable - and one day in the future when your original cable will brake you can't buy the replacement from AKG (Samsung).
This seems to be a planned obsolescence - this fact will definitely minimize the selling potential." - Trebor1966

Well, it's a high-end item fellas. AKG has a right to have a proprietary MMCX cable. Sony has done it. Audio Technica has done it on some of their earphones. And it didn't minimize the selling potential of those products. I just hate to see the company misrepresented unfairly. If you don't like the product or can't afford it, those are different issues. But why say you can't get a cable replaced (even if only from that company) when that's not true? And trust, some outside companies will make that cable (probably without the blessing of AKG).

It is the other way around, I do not particularly care for this little issue, been using IE800 for a long while now, and they do have somewhat propetary cables. Couldn't be bothered less by it.

The point is that this will aggravate some people, and they should be aware of this.

I never broke a good cable before and I don't think I will,

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #255 of 1,539
Is it just that little plastic collar around the socket that is preventing insertion? or is it some alteration to the MMCX design itself? Seems like you could probably mod a standard mmcx to fit if it's just the collar.
Personally I'd be more irritated that they went so far as to have a proprietary-ish connection but didn't actually address any flaws of the MMCX design (like fidue's sirius threaded retaining collar or q-jays threaded SSMCX do)
From the pictures, it looks the shell has some sort of collar which is too narrow for usual male connectors to lie flat and click. What a crapty modification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back