AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review
Feb 10, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #61 of 427
Wait ! I know : The photographer didn't want the cable to be in the middle of the picture. So they simply put backwards to avoid that. Pure marketing ...

On a different topic, since I have a pair of K702, maybe we could pool ressources to open them and try to spot differences. I won't be able to do that right away, but that could be cool.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #62 of 427

Quote:
Wait ! I know : The photographer didn't want the cable to be in the middle of the picture. So they simply put backwards to avoid that. Pure marketing ...

I used to think that too.....then I took an arrow to the knee.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #63 of 427
And here I was trying to save the man ... 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #64 of 427
Maybe he finds them more comfy that way?

I did try them backwards, and they were still comfy and enjoyable.

Honestly though, orientation isn't a big deal for music on 2 channel, other than front/rear sounds being off, which is on a stereo mix is kinda hard to tell anyway.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #65 of 427

Quote:
Honestly though, orientation isn't a big deal for music on 2 channel, other than front/rear sounds being off, which is on a stereo mix is kinda hard to tell anyway.

No, not for us listeners.  But he's a freaking producer!  I hope he isn't mastering too many songs while his Q701s are backwards. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #66 of 427
hey chicolom, i see you've owned the ad900 before, im thinking of getting a q701 since i have some comfort issues with the ad900. I absolutely enjoy the sound from the ad900, was just wondering if these two have similar sound signatures.

edit: have an e10 as source, will be buying an amp in the near future

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #68 of 427

Quote:
Your avatar is just the greatest thing...ever. XD

biggrin.gif

I just figured out Head-fi saves your old avatars and you can go back and reuse them.  You must have thousands
eek.gif

I stole that and shopped it from here: http://ofcblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/aural-style-headphones-looking-good.html

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #69 of 427

Quote:
hey chicolom, i see you've owned the ad900 before, im thinking of getting a q701 since i have some comfort issues with the ad900. I absolutely enjoy the sound from the ad900, was just wondering if these two have similar sound signatures.

edit: have an e10 as source, will be buying an amp in the near future

I wouldn't say they're too similar.  They both have similar large soundstages.  Like the name implies, the AD900 are airy sounding.  They're pretty thin sounding compared to the Q701s.  They're also lacking bass and body.  Q701s have a lot more bass and punch to their sound.  AD900s are flat and coldish sounding.  I would consider the Q701s an upgrade in both sound and comfort (except the bump headband Vs. wings thing).

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #70 of 427
After hours of reading i was pretty much already set on buying a pair, just had to comfirm what id reed. Thanks bro, ill make sure to post a mini comparison once i get a hold of em.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #71 of 427

Quote:

Well, the Micro Amp is a $330 amp and you'd think it'd have a larger soundstage than the E9. I love my Headroom Micro amp, so it's  not going anywhere. I switched from the Asgard to the Micro Amp and never looked back. Asgard made me sick after trying to use a K601 with it.

What's funny is that people told me the K702 wasn't a good match with the Asgard and I didn't want to believe it. I bought the E9 and was shocked at how much more I liked the K702. Asgard is pretty impressive with the HD-600 and D2000 though. I'm not a fan of the Asgard at all. Supposedly Schiit made the the Asgard work better with the K702, but I have my doubts.

Right now I'm listening to the old Koss A/250 on the E9 and it's amazing. Reminds me of a DT-880, but with more detail. Not quite enough bass for me, but that's OK. Definitely more forward mids than the DT-880, but kind of thin sounding.

I have heard that the Asgard is even DARKER than the M Stage?

If this is true, The M Stage is dark enough for me, thank you!

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #72 of 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

I just figured out Head-fi saves your old avatars and you can go back and reuse them.  You must have thousands
eek.gif

I stole that and shopped it from here: http://ofcblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/aural-style-headphones-looking-good.html

Interesting photos in that blog, especially the one model who wore the HD598 backwards.
tongue_smile.gif
  Good photos overall.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #74 of 427

Quote:
Great comparison.  I appreciate it.

I also see your Q701s have the infamous bubbles on the diaphragm.  What has happened to AKG quality control?

Ya, I guess the bubbles are common place now.  The K702's didn't have them though...

I was going to ask:  Do other people have bubbles on their diaphragms?

I asked in the K701 thread a few months ago and some other people confirmed it.  I was going to ask in the Q701 thread, but I know some members there are probably reading this thread too...
I read somewhere that AKG switched to a new diaphragm that was softer.  

I'm pretty sure it's purely cosmetic.

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #75 of 427
My K702 have them, it's purely cosmetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back