AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review
Feb 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #91 of 427
Yesterday my Q701 sounded the best it's ever sounded. It seems like there's some bass that's come out of nowhere and it's just weird. I was listening to some "On Stranger Tides" songs and it's as if the bass on the Q701 was almost up to the DJ100 level.

I removed my pads and noticed two hairs in there and then that the foam pieces were both different. One was really coarse, rougher and more sparkly. The other was the K701 type that was very soft and not sparkly. I put two similar pieces in.

I really does seem that putting in identical pieces somehow does seem to effect the sound a tiny bit. Could also be placebo or that some burn in has occurred before doing all this. Right now I have probably 250+ hours on them. If I think the foam won't effect the sound in some ultra tiny way, it doesn't mean it doesn't. I think you'd have to have golden years to tell the differences. It did feel like the soundstage was a tiny bit bigger and the sound a little more clear, but this has got to be placebo. Maybe the wrong foam types could be why the soundstage on my pair seemed smaller? Virtually impossible right? Who knows.

Maybe people who own the Q701 can make sure to check their foam. They should both look the same and not any different.

BTW you can definitely hear the difference between the foam installed and then removed. Not anything major and definitely a tiny loss of bass. I know this is hard to believe! It makes sense though.

Also..I tried these last night with an Ipod Touch 2G with LOD to a Total Airhead. This thing drives them with ease! No blinking red light (over voltage) even once. The soundstage is the smallest it's ever been, but not bad for a portable amp! Seems to have perfect synergy with the Q701. Seems very clear and detailed with no loss of bass at all.

I actually heard something in one of my songs I've heard thousands of times for the first time using the Airhead. Sounded like a man whispering in the background before a song starts. I'll have to listen for it on my KRKs and other amps. Could just be due to the more forward mids and smaller soundstage. This rarely happens for me believe it or not. I need to review this amp. It's one of my favorites and can drive almost anything quite well. One of the few portable amps that still uses AAA batteries.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #92 of 427

Quote:
Organic?  The made them naturally without any pesticides?
wink.gif

Yes, it's true, no pesticides were harmed in the manufacture of these headphones!
wink_face.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #93 of 427

Quote:
Yesterday my Q701 sounded the best it's ever sounded. It seems like there's some bass that's come out of nowhere and it's just weird. I was listening to some "On Stranger Tides" songs and it's as if the bass on the Q701 was almost up to the DJ100 level.

I removed my pads and noticed two hairs in there and then that the foam pieces were both different. One was really coarse, rougher and more sparkly. The other was the K701 type that was very soft and not sparkly. I put two similar pieces in.

I really does seem that putting in identical pieces somehow does seem to effect the sound a tiny bit. Could also be placebo or that some burn in has occurred before doing all this. Right now I have probably 250+ hours on them. If I think the foam won't effect the sound in some ultra tiny way, it doesn't mean it doesn't. I think you'd have to have golden years to tell the differences. It did feel like the soundstage was a tiny bit bigger and the sound a little more clear, but this has got to be placebo. Maybe the wrong foam types could be why the soundstage on my pair seemed smaller? Virtually impossible right? Who knows.

Maybe people who own the Q701 can make sure to check their foam. They should both look the same and not any different.

BTW you can definitely hear the difference between the foam installed and then removed. Not anything major and definitely a tiny loss of bass. I know this is hard to believe! It makes sense though.

Also..I tried these last night with an Ipod Touch 2G with LOD to a Total Airhead. This thing drives them with ease! No blinking red light (over voltage) even once. The soundstage is the smallest it's ever been, but not bad for a portable amp! Seems to have perfect synergy with the Q701. Seems very clear and detailed with no loss of bass at all.

I actually heard something in one of my songs I've heard thousands of times for the first time using the Airhead. Sounded like a man whispering in the background before a song starts. I'll have to listen for it on my KRKs and other amps. Could just be due to the more forward mids and smaller soundstage. This rarely happens for me believe it or not. I need to review this amp. It's one of my favorites and can drive almost anything quite well. One of the few portable amps that still uses AAA batteries.

though people say that human short term memory is not reliable.
but im pretty confident in mine.
and yea my k701 got noticeably bassy after long hours of constant play.
so regardless of what people say, i think burn in is real.
are the foam donuts in the q701 different than the k701's?

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #94 of 427
I'm probably gonna switch my K701's for a pair of Q701's. The only thing that bothers me though is that the Q701's still have that diabolical headband
angry_face.gif
 Or did they by any chance make the pads softer on the Q701's?
blink.gif
 If not I'm probably gonna try to get a hold of a K601 headband and use that instead.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #95 of 427

Quote:
I'm probably gonna switch my K701's for a pair of Q701's. The only thing that bothers me though is that the Q701's still have that diabolical headband
angry_face.gif
 Or did they by any chance make the pads softer on the Q701's?
blink.gif
 If not I'm probably gonna try to get a hold of a K601 headband and use that instead.

I think it's the same.  Adding a bit of padding is an easy fix.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #96 of 427
Hi Fishski,

Do you have some pictures of your mod ? If you did I'd really appreciate seeing it.

Quote:
i've recently been playing around with some mods to my K702.  right now i like the vents behind the driver completely covered with tape and K601 pads.  opening them up and adding some absorptive felt is next on my list.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #97 of 427

Quote:
Hi Fishski,

Do you have some pictures of your mod ? If you did I'd really appreciate seeing it.

it's nothing really.  i just took the center grill off and completely covered with electricians tape on the inside.  removing it is tricky without aesthetic damage.  you can do the same on the outside to see if you like the effect.  i only made the effort to remove the center grill to stuff with cotton.  i didn't like what the cotton did to the sound sig, with or without tape, and with either the stock K702 pads or the K601 pads.  dampening the bass is not what the K702 needs.  right now i'm playing around with some mods to the foam on the ear side of the driver to good effect, with the center grill left untouched/stock.  i want to listen some more before i reveal the details and post pics, but i'm quite surprised how good it sounds at this point with the K601 pads.  i still want to evaluate it with the K702 pads.  

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #98 of 427

Thanks Fishski, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Quote:
it's nothing really.  i just took the center grill off and completely covered with electricians tape on the inside.  removing it is tricky without aesthetic damage.  you can do the same on the outside to see if you like the effect.  i only made the effort to remove the center grill to stuff with cotton.  i didn't like what the cotton did to the sound sig, with or without tape, and with either the stock K702 pads or the K601 pads.  dampening the bass is not what the K702 needs.  right now i'm playing around with some mods to the foam on the ear side of the driver to good effect, with the center grill left untouched/stock.  i want to listen some more before i reveal the details and post pics, but i'm quite surprised how good it sounds at this point with the K601 pads.  i still want to evaluate it with the K702 pads.  

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #99 of 427
Just placed an order for a pair of black Q701's at amazon.co.uk
normal_smile .gif

I'm just hoping that I'll notice the difference between them and the K701's. If not, the color and detachable cable are still a plus
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #102 of 427
Umm, you do realize that they may not say it, but headphones do change in sound with revamps? Look at the beyers. They're all over the place with their Premiums. the DT770/600 I got was bass bloated, whereas the typical DT770/600 is bass light. I will fully back him up in saying the K701 and Q701 are different. Not by much, but to me, warmer, and fuller in mid bass.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #103 of 427

Quote:
So, you find them not to be the same when clearly AKG stated on their facebook that the Quincy Jones line of products is basically an aesthetical revamp?

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.425309636620.209091.96269711620

IMO, its kinda worrying that somebody would found differences where there are none to be found 
confused.gif

Several people on these forums claim that the Q701's are a bit fuller/warmer sounding than the K701's. I've even read a review which claims the exact same thing. And seeing as there are other changes than purely cosmetical ones on the Q701's(like the foam-piece behind the outer-grill) I do indeed believe that there is a difference.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #104 of 427

Quote:
So, you find them not to be the same when clearly AKG stated on their facebook that the Quincy Jones line of products is basically an aesthetical revamp?

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.425309636620.209091.96269711620

IMO, its kinda worrying that somebody would found differences where there are none to be found 
confused.gif

Sennheiser claims that there are no sound changes with the upgraded acoustic material in the HD600/650 over the older mesh material.  That has been proven to be not the case as many have reported hearing a brighter slightly more dynamic sound with the upgraded driver material.  It makes sense for AKG, Sennheiser or other companies to not admit to sound changes lest they undermine sales of existing models.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #105 of 427
Reasons why some of us think they sound "different":

1.   Mass hysteria, which means most of us on this thread are full on CRAZY!
2.   They really do sound different because they really are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back