AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review
Feb 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #31 of 427
Has anyone ever tried to replace the K702's grid cover by the Q701's ?

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #32 of 427

Quote:
They're usually around 235 or less.  I would wait a a couple days/a week or them to drop again.

Yeah, the tracktor shows the pricing around that for a while now. It actually just dropped down to $239. I knew it would just be a matter of time, but it was frustrating timing... I show interest and suddenly price increases 
mad.gif
. I still need to sell a pair of headphones and my old turntable to fund buying these anyway, so it might still take another week or so.

Quote:
Don't forget to also look in the used section there. Often you can find open box like new pairs for much cheaper. Sometimes directly from Amazon. Back when they were a little more expensive I got mine for $235. This was when the white pair I wanted was nearly $280.
It was listed as like new but still sealed.

Yeah, I just expect the green pair to be fairly rare for some reason. Definitely keeping an eye out, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's difficult to find a pair. Headroom's B-stock is also a good place for open box items... if they sit long enough, they'll keep dropping the price sometimes. They don't have the green option listed, so I doubt I'll find them there.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #33 of 427

Quote:
Has anyone ever tried to replace the K702's grid cover by the Q701's ?

Is that easy to do?  I've got both here still, but the K702s have already been bought buy a head-fier and get shipped of tomorrow.  I don't want to mess with them if it risque...

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #34 of 427
I'm just curious as to whether the grid cover of the Q701 fits the K702. From the manual it doesn't but your pictures make me think it could.
I don't think there's any risk what so ever. Either mechanism is the same and it fits, or it's not and you won't be able to put them in.

I'm asking that because it could be a simple switch for K702 owners. Do you think you could be bothered to at least try if they fit or not ?

Edit : I think I misunderstood you. To take out the grid cover you have to insert something thin inside the holes of the cover and turn the whole cover. It's basically the same mechanism as the ear pads.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #35 of 427

Quote:
I'm just curious as to whether the grid cover of the Q701 fits the K702. From the manual it doesn't but your pictures make me think it could.
I don't think there's any risk what so ever. Either mechanism is the same and it fits, or it's not and you won't be able to put them in.

I'm asking that because it could be a simple switch for K702 owners. Do you think you could be bothered to at least try if they fit or not ?

Edit : I think I misunderstood you. To take out the grid cover you have to insert something thin inside the holes of the cover and turn the whole cover. It's basically the same mechanism as the ear pads.

Ok.  I will try.  I don't have anything small enough to poke in the grills, but I got one of them off by sticking a wad of tape to it and twisting....

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #36 of 427
Tape is a good idea, this way you won't leave any mark.

Thanks for your effort.

Quote:
Ok.  I will try.  I don't have anything small enough to poke in the grills, but I got one of them off by sticking a wad of tape to it and twisting....

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #37 of 427
Ok, I got both the covers off the Q701 and removed both of the foam discs and put the covers back on and compared with the K702:     The Q701 still stomps it in bass.  I'm not sure the sound changed much TBH; it sounds about the same to me.

I will try putting the foam in the K702, then comparing it to the Q701 without the foam.  That will definitely determine whether the K702 can be "converted" into the Q701.  Based off what I just wrote above, I doubt it will work though....

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #38 of 427
Thanks for the test. Just so I understand did you replace the grid cover of the K702 by the grid cover of the Q701 ?
By that I mean the number 8 the manual of both headphones :

K702
http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/4/k70248b2a8664eaf0.pdf

Q701
http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/34/Q7014ccfcf894bb82.pdf

Quote:
Ok, I got both the covers off the Q701 and removed both of the foam discs and put the covers back on and compared with the K702:     The Q701 still stomps it in bass.  I'm not sure the sound changed much TBH; it sounds about the same to me.

I will try putting the foam in the K702, then comparing it to the Q701 without the foam.  That will definitely determine whether the K702 can be "converted" into the Q701.  Based off what I just wrote above, I doubt it will work though....

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #39 of 427
Using the Q701 with the E9 + HRT Music Streamer II (with latest firmware) right now as a test. Sounds really good and no clipping in nearly 2 hours of use. What the heck? How is this possible?
I tried the Nuforce Icon Mobile as a DAC but it chops off the sub-bass somewhat. Couldn't believe it..

As much as it hurts to say this, the E9 has a slightly larger soundstage than with my Micro Amp. Doesn't bother me much. I compared them a bit but it's not enough for me to care.
I hate comparing amps to be honest. I was surprised how much larger the soundstage got when I switched from the Icon to the HRT.

People don't like to hear this, but I think I prefer the E9 to the Asgard for the K702/Q701.

Still need to try the M-Stage but I'm in no hurry.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #40 of 427

Quote:
Thanks for the test. Just so I understand did you replace the grid cover of the K702 by the grid cover of the Q701 ?
By that I mean the number 8 the manual of both headphones :

ARgh!  I can't get the K702 covers off, they're being stubborn.  Let me see if I stickier tape...

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #41 of 427
Yep mine are too, from my recollection, and I didn't want to damage them. I haven't tried with a piece of tape though, and that is a much better way than sticking something in there.

Quote:
ARgh!  I can't get the K702 covers off, they're being stubborn.  Let me see if I stickier tape...

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #42 of 427

Quote:
Yep mine are too, from my recollection, and I didn't want to damage them. I haven't tried with a piece of tape though, and that is a much better way than sticking something in there.

Ya, I just saw another thread on head-fi where some dude mangled his up with sharp pointy objects.

I found some duct tape and will try that.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #43 of 427
Using the Q701 with the E9 + HRT Music Streamer II (with latest firmware) right now as a test. Sounds really good and no clipping in nearly 2 hours of use. What the heck? How is this possible?
I tried the Nuforce Icon Mobile as a DAC but it chops off the sub-bass somewhat. Couldn't believe it..

As much as it hurts to say this, the E9 has a slightly larger soundstage than with my Micro Amp. Doesn't bother me much. I compared them a bit but it's not enough for me to care.
I hate comparing amps to be honest. I was surprised how much larger the soundstage got when I switched from the Icon to the HRT.

People don't like to hear this, but I think I prefer the E9 to the Asgard for the K702/Q701.

Still need to try the M-Stage but I'm in no hurry.

Why would it hurt? The E9 is stellar, price be damned. People just love to hate Fiio products, but trust me, I will quickly tell everyone when it bests amps worth considerably more.

I will be testing the E9 with the NFB5's dac vs the NFB5 itself. If the NFB5 doesn't do anything noticably better, I WILL be done with upgrading amps, as I know the claims of vastly superior sound from one amp to another is just people justifying their super expensive purchases.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #44 of 427

Quote:
Why would it hurt? The E9 is stellar, price be damned. People just love to hate Fiio products, but trust me, I will quickly tell everyone when it bests amps worth considerably more.
I will be testing the E9 with the NFB5's dac vs the NFB5 itself. If the NFB5 doesn't do anything noticably better, I WILL be done with upgrading amps, as I know the claims of vastly superior sound from one amp to another is just people justifying their super expensive purchases.

Well, the Micro Amp is a $330 amp and you'd think it'd have a larger soundstage than the E9. I love my Headroom Micro amp, so it's  not going anywhere. I switched from the Asgard to the Micro Amp and never looked back. Asgard made me sick after trying to use a K601 with it.

What's funny is that people told me the K702 wasn't a good match with the Asgard and I didn't want to believe it. I bought the E9 and was shocked at how much more I liked the K702. Asgard is pretty impressive with the HD-600 and D2000 though. I'm not a fan of the Asgard at all. Supposedly Schiit made the the Asgard work better with the K702, but I have my doubts.

Right now I'm listening to the old Koss A/250 on the E9 and it's amazing. Reminds me of a DT-880, but with more detail. Not quite enough bass for me, but that's OK. Definitely more forward mids than the DT-880, but kind of thin sounding.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #45 of 427

Quote:

I'm asking that because it could be a simple switch for K702 owners. Do you think you could be bothered to at least try if they fit or not ?\

Put the Q701 covers and foam inserts on the K702 and tested them.  Not much difference. 

So you can NOT convert the K70x to the Q701 by swapping the covers and foam inserts.  Something else is making them sound different  (Quincy Jones may have sprinkled magical dust on them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back