AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review
Feb 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #16 of 427
Good comparison! I'm satisfied with the 702's because they're balanced with a great resolution and transparency compare to the most of the other hps. They do need burn in...I'm sure after 120-150 hours you'll hear the different. You also can improve their sound by changing the original cable, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #17 of 427
Another excellent comparo review, Chicolom!  The Q's are on my short list of headphones to reacquire.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #18 of 427
I've heard the Q701 in a friends meet. It sounds amazing and refined when amped properly...i was considering to buy them, but considering the amp budget..i went with the 598's. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #19 of 427
What do you consider a good amp for the Qs?
thx,
chris

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #20 of 427
i've recently been playing around with some mods to my K702.  right now i like the vents behind the driver completely covered with tape and K601 pads.  opening them up and adding some absorptive felt is next on my list.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #21 of 427

Quote:
What do you consider a good amp for the Qs?
thx,
chris

Depending on your price range the Objective 2, Matrix M-stage and Burson HA-160 are excellent options.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 427
I currently have a pair of K701 that I'm thinking about changing to something else for the very reason that they're a bit cold/thin/emotionless sounding. I do however adore the clarity, details and soundstage in them and I think I'd really miss those aspects of the sound if I switched to a different pair of headphones. I've been looking a bit at the Q701's and I've read several people claiming that they are infact warmer sounding and have a bit more bass impact, but still retaining everything that's good about the K701/K702.

Would you say its worth changing a pair of K701 for a pair of Q701?

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #23 of 427

Quote:
I currently have a pair of K701 that I'm thinking about changing to something else for the very reason that they're a bit cold/thin/emotionless sounding. I do however adore the clarity, details and soundstage in them and I think I'd really miss those aspects of the sound if I switched to a different pair of headphones. I've been looking a bit at the Q701's and I've read several people claiming that they are infact warmer sounding and have a bit more bass impact, but still retaining everything that's good about the K701/K702.

Yes, but try them first if you can. Some places don't mind if you return them if you don't like them.
I should mention, the difference is not huge. It's not like AKG suddenly turned the K702 into an HD-600
normal_smile%20.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #24 of 427

Quote:
I currently have a pair of K701 that I'm thinking about changing to something else for the very reason that they're a bit cold/thin/emotionless sounding.

Yes, I would.  When I auditioned the K702 I thought they were "a bit cold/thin sounding" as well.  The Q701 is fuller and a little warmer, so it fixes those issues.

The difference between the two is definitely worth the hassle of switching IMO.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #25 of 427
I've been loving these things since I got them and they sound even good from an E9. Just don't use a docked Ipod Touch or they sound weird.
"Boards of Canada" sounds pretty good on these. I have my E9 set up in my bedroom as an alternative setup. E9 drives them quite well somehow.
Too bad I can't use my DAC with it. Don't ask me how, but some strange thing I've found is that those cheapy Monoprice cables work well for the Q701. Weird, huh?

I had a funny experience yesterday. I was cleaning my house and using them with a portable player and my Airhead. Sounded really, really horrible. The treble was very painful and I'm thinking to myself...what the heck is going on?
I thought maybe after 300 hours of use they somehow magically started to sound like garbage. I then just figured my ears were fatigued or something. I switched to my HD-598 and everything was OK.

Took me all day to realize someone played a dirty trick on me and EQd my bass down -5 DB and boosted the treble to +7 DB!!!! I never ever use an EQ so I didn't think to check this. No wonder everything sounds bad.
Somehow the HD-598 still managed to sound fine with this setting.

It's nice to know even the Airhead can drive the Q701 quite well.

I did the ultimate waste of time and compared 3 different cables with these. Not a huge difference between any of them. The ALO SXC one seems to make the sub-bass very slightly better. Almost up to the scale of my DJ100. I was surprised..and even from the E9!! What I don't understand is why the treble is even smoother with the silver plated copper. I was under the impression it'd make it worse. Sound clarity, soundstage and background detail is a tiny bit better with the SXC. Not sure why, but it seems to remove some of the warmth from the Q701, which is one reason I don't use it 100% of the time.

You know that really loud ear piercing sound from the Q701 when you die in Skyrim? With the ALO SXC it's so much less ear piercing than the stock cable. Wonder why?

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #26 of 427
I'm just annoyed that the price on amazon recently jumped up (last couple of days). They were just around $230 a couple days ago and now they're $265. According to The Tracktor, they haven't been that high since November. I hope it drops back down by the time I get the money for them. Does anyone else know a reliable place with a good price on these? Amazon had been the best price I'd seen.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #27 of 427
They're usually around 235 or less.  I would wait a a couple days/a week or them to drop again.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #28 of 427

Quote:
I'm just annoyed that the price on amazon recently jumped up (last couple of days). They were just around $230 a couple days ago and now they're $265. According to The Tracktor, they haven't been that high since November. I hope it drops back down by the time I get the money for them. Does anyone else know a reliable place with a good price on these? Amazon had been the best price I'd seen.

Don't forget to also look in the used section there. Often you can find open box like new pairs for much cheaper. Sometimes directly from Amazon. Back when they were a little more expensive I got mine for $235. This was when the white pair I wanted was nearly $280.
It was listed as like new but still sealed.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #30 of 427
So the Q701 has finally become comfy on my head. I knew it was a matter of time before my head was desensitized by the bumps. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back