AKG owners unite...
Apr 5, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #61 of 368
If you like the K271 Studio, but think that they are too detail oriented you would probably really dig the K340's Guru.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #62 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
If you like the K271 Studio, but think that they are too detail oriented you would probably really dig the K340's Guru.
wink.gif

Oh I love detail! Give me more! Qualia, SA5000...

K340s intrigue me...I wonder if I can talk Jude into letting me borrow his pair
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #64 of 368
The only problem with the K340 is that it seems all are not created equal... or the same at least. That combined with heavy modding makes them a very individual headphone.

PS. By 'not detail oriented' I did not mean to say that the K340 is less detailed than the K271S... its the other way around infact. Its just that they don't beat you over the head with it. You can enjoy a fine classical recording and a poor Jimi Hendrix recording with equal ease
cool.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #65 of 368
I picked up a pair of K401s off of here that I have been enjoying quite a bit thru a Gilmore Dynalo I built. I wish I would have listened to Philodox's K340s at the Chicago meet as these seem intriguing to me.

The Senns that I listened to there (at the meet) seemed too laid back (to me) while the lower-end Grados I have, while fine, are a bit forward. The AKGs seem to be a good compromise (when properly amped). I will be building a Dynahi sometime, so even the 340s wouldn't be a problem then... hehe. Now to just find some...

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #67 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
I wish I would have listened to Philodox's K340s at the Chicago meet as these seem intriguing to me. I will be building a Dynahi sometime, so even the 340s wouldn't be a problem then... hehe. Now to just find some...

I'm sure that I will be at another Chicago meet, I had a great time at the first one.

And I'll have my Dynahi the next time...
icon10.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #68 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Got my K271S today. I like them already and I think I'll love them once they burn in.

Today must be K271S day because the K271S' I bought from mulveling arrived this afternoon. I haven't gotten to do too much listening to them yet but I can already tell that these will make very nice companions to my K501's. My HD-25 isn't properly hooked up right now but they sounded real sweet on it during the 10 minute demo I slapped together earlier. I can't wait for the Slee Solo I bought the other day to see how they sound on a good solid state amp (I have got to get a decent portable amp!!!)

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #69 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Perez
Today must be K271S day because the K271S' I bought from mulveling arrived this afternoon. I haven't gotten to do too much listening to them yet but I can already tell that these will make very nice companions to my K501's. My HD-25 isn't properly hooked up right now but they sounded real sweet on it during the 10 minute demo I slapped together earlier. I can't wait for the Slee Solo I bought the other day to see how they sound on a good solid state amp (I have got to get a decent portable amp!!!)

Jose - how are you man? Im stil in Erie...have some interesting stuff for you to check out. Let me know if you are interested in a micro meet
wink.gif

gs

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #70 of 368
My AKG271s should be arriving tomorrow. I hope. I ordered them on Friday, got billed Friday, but havent recieved a tracking # yet, so im a bit worried. I must have more patience!

I'll be gone all of Saturday, so it'd be a perfect time to let them burn-in
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #72 of 368
I just got my K501s today! Been enjoying it all night, I can see why there is a fan base for these...inexpensive and refined.

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #73 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
I just got my K501s today! Been enjoying it all night, I can see why there is a fan base for these...inexpensive and refined.

They sound effortless...which is what I like about almost all the headphones in the AKG line...and it just keeps getting better and better as you move up the ladder.

The K1000 is one of the few phones I would place in the list along with R10, Qualia, Orpheus etc. It truly is special...and affordable (or at least it used to be).

The new prices are just too funny...I would buy the K1000 driver, CD3000 and have a modded phone
tongue.gif

gs

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #74 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Jose - how are you man? Im stil in Erie...have some interesting stuff for you to check out. Let me know if you are interested in a micro meet
wink.gif

gs

Hell yeah man, I'm CRAZY busy between now and the end of the semester (3 more weeks
confused.gif
) and I have a week long trip to Boston planned for the first week in May but I will be FREE after that.

I still have your cell phone # and I'll contact you soon so we can do an afternoon meet either here or at your place.

Apr 11, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #75 of 368
I'm a huge fan of my AKG K401's... I've got them amped with either pimeta or a PPA w/Diamond Buffers, depending on my source (computer = pimeta, CD rig = PPA).

I am finding one disconcerting problem with them, though -- they distort BADLY on my PPA at anything above 50% on the volume (gain on the amp is 10). I believe it's due to the bass -- not sure if anyone else has seen this problem.

The 401 does everything perfectly for me, except for the bass.... It really needs some help there.

Anyone have any suggestions on whether the K501 is a worthy upgrade? It's either going to be that, or some sennheisers (though I hate the thought of going with such a "common" can
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back