AKG new N90Q
Sep 13, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #364 of 380
So has anyone actually compared the sound to WH1000xm3? Seeing as how the prices are not that far off. Sound quality is what I care about. Comfort is also important.

I own both, and think their is no contest, the N90Q sound better and are far more comfortable. The N90Q have a far more open detailed sound, which is also easily adjustable without an app. The cups are larger, softer, with less clamp. The Sony's have much better and customizable active noise reduction, are wireless, have better battery life, and are smaller, lighter, and less ostentatious. I cannot see myself traveling with the N90Q. Love them at home.

NOTE: in the U.S. N90Q factory refurbs in both colors are available for another few hours at $300. Original warranty, the Harman refurbs I have gotten have been immaculate and complete.

QUESTION about the giant hard case. I just noticed a thin cable with Micro USB at one end and nothing at the other attached to the case beneath the charging battery. What does that do???

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #365 of 380
I own both, and think their is no contest, the N90Q sound better and are far more comfortable. The N90Q have a far more open detailed sound, which is also easily adjustable without an app. The cups are larger, softer, with less clamp. The Sony's have much better and customizable active noise reduction, are wireless, have better battery life, and are smaller, lighter, and less ostentatious. I cannot see myself traveling with the N90Q. Love them at home.

NOTE: in the U.S. N90Q factory refurbs in both colors are available for another few hours at $300. Original warranty, the Harman refurbs I have gotten have been immaculate and complete.

QUESTION about the giant hard case. I just noticed a thin cable with Micro USB at one end and nothing at the other attached to the case beneath the charging battery. What does that do???

There is a usb plug on the outside of the case itself. if you plug the headphones into the battery and the battery into the case when you put them away, you can charge everything by plugging in the case to a charger.

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #366 of 380
So has anyone actually compared the sound to WH1000xm3? Seeing as how the prices are not that far off. Sound quality is what I care about. Comfort is also important.

Compare, is not the right word. Those are different leagues, which is very clear (I own both). N90Q is high end audiophile product, while xm3 is just consumer.
I can only compare noise cancellation - xm3 is far better here. N90Q has rather poor noise cancellation by today's standards which also has annoying and relatively loud white noise.

Oct 25, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #367 of 380
Guys, I've had problems with both units I've owned. Same problem: left side stoped working. First the noise cancelling was failing and then sound Completely stopped working. Second unity is not on warranty anymore and trying to find some time to take it to the authorized to see what's going on. Anyone had same problems?

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #368 of 380
Picked them on the most recent sale at harmanaudio. Very pleased. I don't think you can do better for $300 considering you also get a DAC and an amp. Dig the sound. The highs require some getting used to or maybe EQ, at least on some recordings, but the midrange and low end are outstanding IMO. May not be the most effective ANC but it does help to lower the backround noise and bring out the low-level details. Sounded bright out of the box but calibration took care of it, for the most part anyway. Hope if they fail they do while still on warranty.

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #369 of 380
Hi,

I recently purchased the USB Audio Player PRO since it is supposed to be the best player for high-res on the market.
But when I play flac files (high-res audio) from my LG Velvet to the N90Q, I hear every few seconds some hissing annoyance.
So I installed the player on my DAP (FiiO M11). There it makes the same disturbing hissing sound when playing back audio files. Playing the same audio files (or any other) through the built-in FiiO Player, it does not make this hissing output but sounds excellent.
What am I missing please? Is there any setting I have to change?
The connection between the headphone and the players are through a USB cable.
Is there any interference with the UAPP and the N90Q?
Anyone experienced the same?

Thank you.

Cheers
Caesar

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #370 of 380
Hi,

I recently purchased the USB Audio Player PRO since it is supposed to be the best player for high-res on the market.
But when I play flac files (high-res audio) from my LG Velvet to the N90Q, I hear every few seconds some hissing annoyance.
So I installed the player on my DAP (FiiO M11). There it makes the same disturbing hissing sound when playing back audio files. Playing the same audio files (or any other) through the built-in FiiO Player, it does not make this hissing output but sounds excellent.
What am I missing please? Is there any setting I have to change?
The connection between the headphone and the players are through a USB cable.
Is there any interference with the UAPP and the N90Q?
Anyone experienced the same?

Thank you.

Cheers
Caesar
Hi,

In case someone runs into the same problem- the developer of the UAPP figured it out...
Disable upsampling and turn on 'USB tweak 1'. That solved it here.

One more question- would it be better running an audio cable between the Fiio M11 DAP to the N90Q or would it be better to run a USB cable between both of them? I guess the latter one?

Thank you.

Cheers
Caesar

Mar 7, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #371 of 380
Hi,

In case someone runs into the same problem- the developer of the UAPP figured it out...
Disable upsampling and turn on 'USB tweak 1'. That solved it here.

One more question- would it be better running an audio cable between the Fiio M11 DAP to the N90Q or would it be better to run a USB cable between both of them? I guess the latter one?

Thank you.

Cheers
Caesar
any analogue signal into the N90Q is going to go through a ADC, so i would recommend using the digital input on the N90Q if possible.

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #372 of 380
I just got them on a really nice deal from a friend, and I think they are pretty nice even if they are $300, and it is probably the best sounding noise-canceling headphone but definitely not for $1500 lol. They sound way better with the USB cable as well(I am using a windows desktop), I tried using it with sp2000 on the aux input and it sounds weird. The build quality is very nice and it is comfortable, it is a bit on the heavier side though.

Sound quality-wise I think the bass is really tight and it probably has one of the best bass in close-back headphone I have heard, soundstage is rather wide as well. The "carrying case" was way too heavy and basically useless. Also the fact that it cannot work without it being turned on is weird. If you have the chance to get one for around $200-$300 I think it is worth a try, but don't expect it to be on par with anything around $1500.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #374 of 380
has anyone got these to work with an iPhone 13 or similar (over usb, not analog)? On android I just bought a type c to micro b-cable but a lightning to micro-b cable seems much harder to find and even then I’m not sure if it would work as expected.

May 17, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #375 of 380
You need a lightning to USB camera adapter and a powered USB hub in between as sadly the stupid thing wants too much power that iPhone refuses to provide even if you manage to find a cable that would work. There are iPhone camera adapters with a power inlet, those work too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back