AKG new N90Q
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #346 of 380
Curious what kind of battery life people who are purchasing these new are getting. I'm assuming since sales were basically 0 for this headphone, that all of these headphones are sitting in storage somewhere for coming up on 5 years with the same battery.

Has anyone contacted AKG for the cost to replace the battery?

I also was concerned about this and contacted AKG (Harman) before I bought them. Harman's response:

I understand that the battery has a big effect in your decision. However, the battery of our headphones cannot be replaced. You may check with your local repair shops if they have the tool in replacing the battery but on our end, our warehouse does not replace battery and we do not sell internal parts of our products.

I bought them anyway and am glad I did. As it turns out, the battery is no concern in practice for my usage because I only use the USB input, connected to my phone. In this configuration it appears to be a USB-powered device, as convenient and trouble-free as any pair of passive headphones. The phone charges the battery during usage. and so I have never plugged the headphones into power to charge them. My guess is that the unit would still function as a USB-powered device even if the battery were completely dead, but I can't be certain about that.

If you plan to use the analog input then that is of course another story. For me, that would make these headphones significantly less convenient.

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #347 of 380
sad that there's a lot of dissatisfaction with these headphones from a few who took the time to post here. many valid points here as well. never thought about battery life and i've not noticed any major degradation in battery performance with my daily drivers.

I find them exciting to use and they go with me everywhere. i've had them since they initially started shipping a few years ago and have a second pair. I am an early adopter of many electronics and I forgot how I learned about these initially, but they are really nice to my ears and the music I use them with.

obviously we all have different tastes and our ears are all different. Still i think its ok to just post up that there are likely many people who don't know this site exists who also enjoy these headphones like myself and dont usually come to forums to talk about how nice they are.

I don't want to disrespect anyone and I can tell there are many audiophiles who frequent this thread.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #348 of 380
If the battery dies, using these on flights would be an issue. If there was an external bettery that passes usb audio single could be a solution. Battery packs bring inconvenience. I have AirPods Pro, which is a small true wireless earphone eith ANC on flights, which is way more convenient than carrying aroung this large and heavy headphone.

It is also missing features like wireless for one, which is a big one for people on the go these days. Also, there should have been a paaive analog input. The analog input being converted to digital was a bad idea.

All these are reasons why it probably wasn't selling and needed to bring the price down. Also, it's a 4 year old tech that's bettered by new stuff out there. I would be perfectly happy with a Bose or Sony ANC as alternatives that are wireless.

There's practical headphones with ANC or passive audiophile ones doesn't have battery to worry about. This one does neither well.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #349 of 380
I agree with mabernat. To my ears, these headphones are much better than this thread might lead people to believe. I also own the Sony WH1000XM2, and the sound quality of the N90Q is in a completely different league. I'm also confident that the internal DAC/amp is not the limiting factor for these phones. FWIW, StereoPlay magazine from Germany reviewed these and gave them good marks.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #350 of 380
I also was concerned about this and contacted AKG (Harman) before I bought them. Harman's response:

I understand that the battery has a big effect in your decision. However, the battery of our headphones cannot be replaced. You may check with your local repair shops if they have the tool in replacing the battery but on our end, our warehouse does not replace battery and we do not sell internal parts of our products.

I bought them anyway and am glad I did. As it turns out, the battery is no concern in practice for my usage because I only use the USB input, connected to my phone. In this configuration it appears to be a USB-powered device, as convenient and trouble-free as any pair of passive headphones. The phone charges the battery during usage. and so I have never plugged the headphones into power to charge them. My guess is that the unit would still function as a USB-powered device even if the battery were completely dead, but I can't be certain about that.

If you plan to use the analog input then that is of course another story. For me, that would make these headphones significantly less convenient.

I was expecting a big price tag, but saying they can't service it at all is alarming. I cant think of any of the major headphone manufacturers saying they cant service their headphones. In some electronics I've had at some point a dead battery meant it wouldn't turn in, even when plugged into a charger.

I haven't seen a teardown where anyone has shown how to open these and replace the battery has anyone else?

Jan 3, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #351 of 380
I agree with mabernat. To my ears, these headphones are much better than this thread might lead people to believe. I also own the Sony WH1000XM2, and the sound quality of the N90Q is in a completely different league. I'm also confident that the internal DAC/amp is not the limiting factor for these phones. FWIW, StereoPlay magazine from Germany reviewed these and gave them good marks.
SQ is different, not another league. XM3 has greater bass, and warmer in general, with bass quality not as good or tight. XM3 imaging is flatter likely due to no cup room. Other than that XM3 sounds more transparent with better definition. N90Q isn't all that resolving or tonally defines sounds that well. $1.5k for N90Q is a sin.

May 17, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #353 of 380
SQ is different, not another league. XM3 has greater bass, and warmer in general, with bass quality not as good or tight. XM3 imaging is flatter likely due to no cup room. Other than that XM3 sounds more transparent with better definition. N90Q isn't all that resolving or tonally defines sounds that well. $1.5k for N90Q is a sin.
how about N90Q at $250 vs Sony WH-1000XM3 at $200?

May 17, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #354 of 380
how about N90Q at $250 vs Sony WH-1000XM3 at $200?
I'd go with XM3, just a better product in terms of fit, weight, ANC performance, sound, battery life and the latest bluetooth codec technology.

Just look at them both. N90Q looks premium with gold, but looks silly and not practical. XM3 looks very practical and not screaming attention with it's design. I feel more comfortable taking the XM3 around.

Big issue: The lack of bluetooth on N90Q, I don't understand why they charged so much without the necessary basic features? The headphone has an identity crisis, it should either be a high-end audiophile headphone or a practical wireless ANC solution. The problem is, it has DSP that is in the path of sound, and cannot be a traditional audiophile simple wired headphone. Another issue: It will take in analog and convert to digital and then analog. Lots of design mistakes. They should have known which market to target and stick with it.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #355 of 380
I'd go with XM3, just a better product in terms of fit, weight, ANC performance, sound, battery life and the latest bluetooth codec technology.

Just look at them both. N90Q looks premium with gold, but looks silly and not practical. XM3 looks very practical and not screaming attention with it's design. I feel more comfortable taking the XM3 around.

Big issue: The lack of bluetooth on N90Q, I don't understand why they charged so much without the necessary basic features? The headphone has an identity crisis, it should either be a high-end audiophile headphone or a practical wireless ANC solution. The problem is, it has DSP that is in the path of sound, and cannot be a traditional audiophile simple wired headphone. Another issue: It will take in analog and convert to digital and then analog. Lots of design mistakes. They should have known which market to target and stick with it.
thanks. I currently own the Sony but still feel the bass a bit too muddy and I don't wanna use EQ. Was hoping N90Q to be a replacement

May 17, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #356 of 380
thanks. I currently own the Sony but still feel the bass a bit too muddy and I don't wanna use EQ. Was hoping N90Q to be a replacement
If you are fine with being tethered to USB connection, it does provide better bass. Another low cost option is to look into AKG K371. They also have a bluetooth version that supports up to AAC, not sure how good the bass is compared to being driven wired.

May 31, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #359 of 380
Hi there,

Can you tell me if this headphone accepts balanced cable ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back