AKG new N90Q
Aug 22, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #331 of 380
Hi everyone,

I need a much longer cable for the amazing N90Q to my living room. I have few cables but the N90Q seems very sensitive to the cable quality / brand and not worked with any of my cables. Does anyone have experience with a longer cable type that worked? (referring to the USB cable)

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #332 of 380
Hi everyone,

I need a much longer cable for the amazing N90Q to my living room. I have few cables but the N90Q seems very sensitive to the cable quality / brand and not worked with any of my cables. Does anyone have experience with a longer cable type that worked? (referring to the USB cable)

USB doesn't have a very long range. The software-defined radio (SDR) community suggests active USB cables for long runs, but it doesn't always work for everybody. The first thing I would try is something like this bus-powered extension cable. If that doesn't work, you could try an externally-powered extension cable, but the downside there is that you'd need to power it near your listening position.

Good luck. I also find these headphones amazing. I listen with them only from my mobile device, though (lossless qobuz).

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #333 of 380
USB doesn't have a very long range. The software-defined radio (SDR) community suggests active USB cables for long runs, but it doesn't always work for everybody. The first thing I would try is something like this bus-powered extension cable. If that doesn't work, you could try an externally-powered extension cable, but the downside there is that you'd need to power it near your listening position.

Good luck. I also find these headphones amazing. I listen with them only from my mobile device, though (lossless qobuz).
Thanks!

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #334 of 380
Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a Bluetooth receiver to the micro USB port of the N90Q? If a device like an Android phone outputs a digital Bluetooth signal, theoretically, the receiver could interpret the signal and feed it to the DAC of the N90Q, right?

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #335 of 380
Just got these headphones on sale new for $450. Does anyone know if these headphones work with Tidal Master tracks via an iPhone XS Max or iPad Pro? I am using the USB cord to connect to a USB Hub to my apple devices. I can play HIFI quality songs via Tidal but can’t stream Master quality to this headphone. It works via analog but not using the USB cable. I’d rather use the USB cable since people on this thread said it sounds better.

Also, is there any way to bypass the DAC? I have some good DACs that sound better than the built-in one but not sure if there is a way to bypass it. Pretty disappointing if you can’t. I may return these headphones if I’m stuck with the onboard DAC.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #336 of 380
Dec 18, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #338 of 380
With USB you can only use internal DAC. Did you try to connect the headphones directly to iPad w/o usb hub?

yes, I used the 3.5” input with my iPad Pro using a Dragonfly Red DAC. It sounded good but I thought the N90Q sounded better with the USB connection. The DragonFly connection sounds better with my Sennheiser 6XX and Hifiman Sundara so I was wondering if the N90Q’s DAC is still active even with the Dragonfly being used which may be the reason the Dragonfly doesn’t sound as good with the N90Q.

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #339 of 380
Someone once told that N90Q uses internal dac when both USB or audio-in used (can't remember if that was discussed in that thread or elsewhere). I don't know if that is actually the case and I would personally definitely prefer if N90 only use internal DAC with USB connection. Maybe someone in the technical specs it says about that?

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #340 of 380
iPhone does not support digital out - only iPad and Mac. No idea about Master.

You can't bypass the dac. I returned them, sounds like you should too.

You might avail yourself of my review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/akg-n90q.21981/reviews

Your review is spot on with my experience except the NC feature on mine sounds pretty silent. I think it’s probably a good NC headphone. However, I want amazing sound first and NC is just a bonus. This headphone doesn’t sound better to me than my Sennheiser 6XX and Hifiman Sundara. At least when used with my DragonFly Red DAC and Topping D10 DAC. I think because the DAC on this one can’t be bypassed. I think it may actually compete with those headphones if the DAC could be bypassed. I was hoping for so much more.

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #342 of 380
you cannot bypass the internal DAC, I also think the USB sounds better, most likely because you don't need to use the front end ADC for analog signals. id highly recommend EQing down the 6-10khz range just a few dbs, they sound much better with the touch of EQ there.

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #343 of 380
Just got these headphones on sale new for $450. Does anyone know if these headphones work with Tidal Master tracks via an iPhone XS Max or iPad Pro? I am using the USB cord to connect to a USB Hub to my apple devices. I can play HIFI quality songs via Tidal but can’t stream Master quality to this headphone. It works via analog but not using the USB cable. I’d rather use the USB cable since people on this thread said it sounds better.

Also, is there any way to bypass the DAC? I have some good DACs that sound better than the built-in one but not sure if there is a way to bypass it. Pretty disappointing if you can’t. I may return these headphones if I’m stuck with the onboard DAC.
I just got on these as well. Out of the box impression was that they weren't anything remarkable, but over time I've starting to dig these. It sounds tonally balanced, and don't hear any peaks or weirdness to the sound.

I don't believe the sound is highly transparent as it sounds like the textures from the tracks a smoothed out a bit, quite possibly due to the internal electronic processing. But, I got to say it sounds quite engaging with great clarity, possibly due to being closed-back with ANC. ANC isn't anything remarkable either. Don't expect on the level of Sony XM3 or whatnot.

I'm starting to prefer it's balanced an smooth characteristic. Bass is tight, and doesn't bleed, although sounds rounded without much definition. These are definately not worth full retail. The technology is old now. I think in terms of transparency, they are on par with today's bluetooth wireless ANC headphones. Sound stage is a bit better for a closed-back.

I characterize the sound as smooth because the treble doesn't get splashy, so textures of the sounds are reduced as well. This also means reduced transparency. In the end, the music seems engaging out of these.

Other caveat is the headphone adjustment doesn't extend that far, it's a bit limited.

Works on Android OTG well. There is no way to bypass internal DAC. Even if using the analog connection, the internal electronics will convert the analog input to digital, and then D to A to the drivers. I heard some weirdness plugging analog from one of the DAC sources I got. Out of headphone out on my phone however was fine.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #344 of 380
Have been using mine for a few days now and am really enjoying the sound. The only issue is that they leak a lot of sound. I thought being closed back type that they wouldn't but they do and it disturbs those around me. (Medium to high listening level.)

Is the same situation for others that have or have tried these?

Any suggestions for something of similar quality and sound signature. I love the earpads and foam they used. Also, I have a big head and like that these don't clamp really hard like the Audeze did.

I should add that while NC is nice it is not critical as I have the H9i as well.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #345 of 380
Curious what kind of battery life people who are purchasing these new are getting. I'm assuming since sales were basically 0 for this headphone, that all of these headphones are sitting in storage somewhere for coming up on 5 years with the same battery.

Has anyone contacted AKG for the cost to replace the battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back