AKG new N90Q
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #316 of 380
I've tried KSE1500 on all 3 of my mac laptops - and they all sounded like schiit. My 2009 and 2017 iMacs were both fine. I think it's maybe unfortunately a laptop/desktop thing.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #317 of 380
Thanks for the response. I'm actually happy with 44.1 from my phone if I can get it to work without the occasional dropouts. I plan to listen only to Qobuz 44.1kHz/16-bit streams.

I only tried it through my laptop for testing purposes. I never listen from my laptop.

Perhaps I'll try USB Audio Player Pro. I read in this post that: "USB Audio Player Pro is afaik the only app that has a separate driver for USB output on phones which will send bit-perfect signal to an EXTERNAL dac."

Update: I tried two different N90Q units, on two different Android devices, and could not get a stable USB link. Then I tried the USB Audio Player Pro app in bit-perfect mode and so far it is working perfectly. Thanks, USB Audio Player Pro! This is by far the best headphone I've ever used.

May 6, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #318 of 380
I got a used one on eBay. Still having trouble getting the unit to show up as a digital output for my MacBook. Are there any tricks for getting it recognized by computers?

It seems to be low on battery—the red light is illuminated behind the mode switch button.

May 6, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #320 of 380
I don't understand how that would help. I'm plugging the USB cable into the computer, but the sound preferences doesn't see the DAC, like it does for my Schiit gear. I got it to work back in New York on their demo pair.

May 7, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #321 of 380
I got a used one on eBay. Still having trouble getting the unit to show up as a digital output for my MacBook. Are there any tricks for getting it recognized by computers?

It seems to be low on battery—the red light is illuminated behind the mode switch button.

Are you using original USB cable? For some strange reason, it worked for me only with original akg cable when connected to a PC. Also red light is constantly light when connected.

May 7, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #322 of 380
Ah, I see that the red light depends on being connected. Perhaps it indicates charging? I still can't get my MacBook Air or Pro to recognize digital input - with the original cable or with another cable I own.

Does anyone happen to know where AKG's n90q drivers for Mac might be kept?

It was purchased without the battery bank or case, and I'm not sure what kind of condition the internal batteries are in. The unit seems to have some difficulty turning on and off—the power switch does not turn all the way to the "off" position, and it took several attempts to turn it on this morning. There were also one or two occasions where it turned off without warning.

Nevertheless, the analog input is not bad - I'm enjoying the Brahms d minor concerto very much - though sometimes a soft whistling happens.

Wasn't able to get the digital input to work on either laptop - but I did get it to work on my iMac - except only with unbelievably frequent popping sounds. Just like I got on KSE1500 when I connected to my laptops. I guess USB is just really bad - wish I had a Schiit Wyrd to compare.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #325 of 380
I hear some channel imbalance - left is louder than right. It lacks the transparency of HD800 and KSE1500. The DAC is fine. The DSP is cool. I hear grain. Delta Sigma grain, but also dynamic transducer grain. The sound is processed.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #326 of 380
@bosiemoncrieff

I tried two copies of the N90Q on two different MacBooks using the USB input. Both MacBooks "saw" the N90Q. So I did not encounter the problem you are experiencing.

I had to set the MacBook to 44.1kHz 16bit in Audio MIDI Setup to get a stable connection. Other settings produced clicks and noises. I'm not sure if even 44.1/16 is completely stable because I never use the N90Q with the MacBook. I did this only for testing. I think I reported more details further up in this thread.

With my Pixel tablet and Pixel phone, again using USB, I got the clicks and noises unless I used USB Audio Player Pro in bit-perfect mode. Then it is completely stable, zero problems.

Soon after, I replaced my Pixel phone with a Pixel 3. With the Pixel 3 I don't even need to use USB Audio Player Pro. Using a regular audio app (I'm using Qobuz) is rock-solid stable. I haven't used USB Audio Player Pro since. I appreciate the purity of bit-perfect, but it's not worth giving up the convenience of the native Qobuz app.

I believe the red light means it's charging. One thing I didn't realize about these phones is that they charge while in use when using the USB input. So I have never had to think about charging my N90Q. They're always at full charge. I just plug them in and they work, much like a "passive" headphone. This has been a positive user experience. Using the analog input would be significantly less convenient because then you'd need to charge them all the time.

I have never used the analog input. I don't perceive any channel imbalance.

Based on your experiences with your used unit, I'd definitely return it.

May 9, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #328 of 380
I also own the N90Q. And my experiences with USB audio through Mac (at least before High Sierra) is disappointing. Even with a completely different USB output H/W (rather expensive loudspeakers) there are problems like clicks or out-of-sync with video. Couldn‘t resolve these issues by no means. Maybe, Mojave works better?
The N90Q works perfectly when connected to an Onkyo DAP through USB.

May 10, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #329 of 380
My n90q unit, in review:
- sibilant/grainy, especially orchestral climaxes at high volumes but also just classical music in general.
- lacking transparency
- flaky/no digital input
- channel imbalance
- no case
- not a fan of the DAC, and you can't go around it.
- battery is shot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back