AKG new headphone K545?
Nov 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #271 of 1,753
  My Magnolia didn't have them either yesterday. In fact, they didn't have any AKG headphones on the listening rack. They had the Momentums (both types), an HD 558, the whole line of B&W, an M4U 2, and some expensive but terrible Denon. 

I wouldn't call the Denon terrible.  The AH-D600 is actually a pretty decent sounding headphone.  Any store that has the PSB M4U2 will eventually have the K545 on display.  Sometimes stores don't receive their display units when they're supposed to. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #272 of 1,753
Finally got a chance to listen to these today at another store. Unfortunately they didn't have a K550 for me to compare to, which was unfortunate. Overall, I wasn't super impressed. I was hoping for an easy fun portable. These sounded good, but nothing was really stand out about them. I was hoping for a little more kick in the bass region (hoping to use these for movies/gaming) and a little more clarity in the treble and found these lacked both. 

Of course this was their display and their music, so ymmv, your impressions may be different, etc etc.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #273 of 1,753
I don't recall if it was the D600 or not, I just know I was very unimpressed for the price. The M4U2 sounded like it could be very nice, but the demo unit only had one side working so it was hard to judge! As elwappo said, I was listening via their system so who knows how it would be if I could take it home and hook it to my own amp.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #274 of 1,753
  Finally got a chance to listen to these today at another store. Unfortunately they didn't have a K550 for me to compare to, which was unfortunate. Overall, I wasn't super impressed. I was hoping for an easy fun portable. These sounded good, but nothing was really stand out about them. I was hoping for a little more kick in the bass region (hoping to use these for movies/gaming) and a little more clarity in the treble and found these lacked both. 

Of course this was their display and their music, so ymmv, your impressions may be different, etc etc.

The K545 replaced the K550 on display, so you liekly won't find both on display in the same store.  FWIW, the music source is lossless, and provides fairly decent output power.  Definitely more than your average portable device.   

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #275 of 1,753
  I don't recall if it was the D600 or not, I just know I was very unimpressed for the price. The M4U2 sounded like it could be very nice, but the demo unit only had one side working so it was hard to judge! As elwappo said, I was listening via their system so who knows how it would be if I could take it home and hook it to my own amp.

If it was Denon, and on display in a Magnolia store, it was the AH-D600.  Which store were you at?  

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #276 of 1,753
  The K545 replaced the K550 on display, so you liekly won't find both on display in the same store.  FWIW, the music source is lossless, and provides fairly decent output power.  Definitely more than your average portable device.   

Sounds like somebody is in the know 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #278 of 1,753
These won't be for everyone but I still enjoy mine more than anything I have owned in a portable headphone. I also was happily surprised at how they EQ'd today with so little adjustment. I am surprised that you found the bass lacking though as I definitely noticed an improvement in that area over the K550 and it really improves with an amp as does the treble. The mids are definitely not as elevated though as I have said but that little tiny bump in EQ made them come back a long way.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #280 of 1,753
I know this thread is for the K545 but I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to try out the K845 yet it seems to be the same model only with bluetooth. Im on the fence on ordering the K545. If the K845 has the same sound quality when plugged in I would preferer the convenience of bluetooth while listening from my iphone at work but still want the better sound while plugged in using them at home or for gaming.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #281 of 1,753
Could someone here with any experience with Sennheiser HD25’s give their comparison to these headphones?  I would like a closed back full size headphone to use at work with my Shiit M&M stack.  

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #282 of 1,753
The question on the 845 will be whether the amp of the 845 colors the sound or not when in BT mode. Unfortunately I can't answer your question.

It would interesting if AKG came out with a noise cancelling model of these...

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #283 of 1,753
I guess I will try to be patient and hold off on the 545 until there are some reviews on the 845. dweaver I hope you get a chance to review the 845 id really like to read your opinion on them vs the 545's

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #284 of 1,753
I just got my 545s and have been playing around with them. My first impression of the sound is very positive. I only have my Clip and an ELE DAC here at home to try them with (my O2 is at work). Through the clip they sound a tad dark, but really very good. They sound even better through the ELE, which is bright so I guess that makes sense.

I don't understand the guy who complained about no bass? I hear plenty of bass. In fact, IMO it's about perfect. Thumpier headphones can be fun for some music, but the amount the 545 has strikes me as a great balance for an all-purpose set. I can see why it might even be too much for some, but I like it. The KEF M500 seemed a bit clearer and more neutral, but thinner and not as enjoyable to listen to for me.

In fact, what stands out to me most is that unlike every other set I've bought in the past couple of months, I can't point out anything in the sound that bothers me. They sound great with all the genres I've tried. I'm not sure about the comfort yet... my ears fit inside but they are touching the inside of the pads. These aren't the most comfy set I've had.

Anyway, just a few preliminary thoughts.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #285 of 1,753
Your sonic take is similar to mine which makes me happy as I was worried I was off on my impressions. Hopefully the fit doesn't bother you to much as the pads are soft but I did see them being a problem for some. I look forward to more of your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back