AKG new headphone K545?
Nov 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #257 of 1,753
I say go for it :). It is different enough you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #259 of 1,753
Just went to my local best buy and they do not have these out to listen to. Wonder if I could get one of those "tester" pairs from AKG 
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #260 of 1,753
I just went and tried the Momentum today at Best Buy. I actually liked it more than I thought I would, except the pads were too small to go around my ears. I hope the K545 is better. I guess I'll find out on Thursday!

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #261 of 1,753
Just went to my local best buy and they do not have these out to listen to. Wonder if I could get one of those "tester" pairs from AKG :wink:

I would send this pair to you but then I would have to go into mourning until they returned :wink:. Seriously though, I never sell anything gifted like this. I have given some away but have never sold them. In this case though I am just counting my blessings as I feel like I have found something I have been searching for since I came to Head-fi. I don't expect everyone to have the same love for these as me but I won't deny how much I am enjoying them either.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #262 of 1,753
  I just went and tried the Momentum today at Best Buy. I actually liked it more than I thought I would, except the pads were too small to go around my ears. I hope the K545 is better. I guess I'll find out on Thursday!

That momentum is awesome. the k550 needs more than just a midrange bump to best it. However the soundstage of the k550 is better though it has been said to be smaller now with the k545.

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #263 of 1,753
For what it's worth I was not a fan of the Momentum but I found it's fit uncomfortable which may have colored my judgement on how it sounded. I also only had it for a couple of days before I returned it to the store because I didn't want to risk having to keep it if I wasn't satisfied.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #264 of 1,753
For what it's worth I was not a fan of the Momentum but I found it's fit uncomfortable which may have colored my judgement on how it sounded. I also only had it for a couple of days before I returned it to the store because I didn't want to risk having to keep it if I wasn't satisfied.

+1  It looks better than it sounds.  Same with the 1r.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #265 of 1,753
  That momentum is awesome. the k550 needs more than just a midrange bump to best it. However the soundstage of the k550 is better though it has been said to be smaller now with the k545.

I hope the K550 doesn't get a mid-range bump. I like it now as is right now as a more of a relaxing headphone.

I think with a mid-range bump it'll make the headphone too aggressive which doesn't go with the comfortable earpads
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #266 of 1,753
Interesting I did this very minor tweak to the EQ at work and it added just a bit more sparkle making these a bit more like the K550 from memory. But I actually found it a bit straining after a while and turned it off. But man I was surprised that such a small tweak would be that noticeable. The K545 seems to be versatile as well.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #268 of 1,753

Just went to my local best buy and they do not have these out to listen to. Wonder if I could get one of those "tester" pairs from AKG 
wink.gif

Out of curiosity, did you look in Magnolia or the main headphone section in Best Buy?

Yup. The store I went to had the usual assortment of K550, momentums, etc. but the K545 wasn't out. Weren't employees around so I didn't ask if/when they'd have one out. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #270 of 1,753
My Magnolia didn't have them either yesterday. In fact, they didn't have any AKG headphones on the listening rack. They had the Momentums (both types), an HD 558, the whole line of B&W, an M4U 2, and some expensive but terrible Denon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back