AKG new headphone K545?
Aug 8, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #1,683 of 1,753
Took a chance on a used pair and I'm really loving these.  They're a lot of fun and there's a nice balance to them.  Smaller sound stage than the K712, but I don't mind.  I'm just using them as a portables.  They seem to pair well with my 5th gen iPod classic and the NX-1 playing Apple lossless.  Just wondering how much better they might be with the NX-2 amp/DAC

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,684 of 1,753
Hey guys,
today I got my k545 which I bought used online.
I have bought many headphones online and never had issues until now..
When I first tried them I noticed immediately that something was wrong.
At home I tried to find the problem and first I thought it was the cable but after a while I noticed that it is the driver itself.

I'm not sure if you can see it on the photo, but there are little "bumps" all over the diaphragm.
I think detail has gone a little and when there is bass, it vibrates for a little afterwards..
Is there a way to bring the bumps out?
Would appreciate help
-alex

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,685 of 1,753
  Hey guys,
today I got my k545 which I bought used online.
I have bought many headphones online and never had issues until now..
When I first tried them I noticed immediately that something was wrong.
At home I tried to find the problem and first I thought it was the cable but after a while I noticed that it is the driver itself.

I'm not sure if you can see it on the photo, but there are little "bumps" all over the diaphragm.
I think detail has gone a little and when there is bass, it vibrates for a little afterwards..
Is there a way to bring the bumps out?
Would appreciate help
-alex

I can't tell there but you don't mean the spiralling indentations, right?  Those need to be there.  Little circular dips in the diaphragm, however, are abnormal.  I take a small wad of adhesive from the leftover plastic from a sheet of furniture bumpers and stick it on the end of a small screwdriver then I carefully rub the wad over the dips until they are brought back out.  You want something sticky yet not so sticky that it pulls too hard on the diaphragm.  Your movements must take into account that the driver magnet may try to pull the screwdriver or other metal object into itself and damage the diaphragm that way.  Not difficult in the least, however, unless you have very unsteady hands like a person with Parkinson's or something.

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #1,686 of 1,753
that spiraling thing was there but behind the grill so you can't see it on the photo.
Well, i followed your advice and put some sticky thing, thin duck tape in my case, to the the top end from a screwdriver and bright them out.
Thanks for this advice!!
The dips were Ashley the problem , since the sound is good now, no vibrating anymore.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,687 of 1,753
Hello,

I hope someone will help me out here.

I just bought AKG K545 and they sound really good.

At first i only heard the left driver, but they 'opened up' and now i think i hear everything i need.

I have a problem- after listening for a couple of hours, i felt a hotspot at the top of my head. It caused me a red spot over my head, which is kinda hurt.

Do you have any suggestion? Can i switch the headband? Can i put something to scatter the pressure over my head?

Ear pads are good,Isolation is ok.

Thank you.

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #1,688 of 1,753
  Hello,

I hope someone will help me out here.

I just bought AKG K545 and they sound really good.

At first i only heard the left driver, but they 'opened up' and now i think i hear everything i need.

I have a problem- after listening for a couple of hours, i felt a hotspot at the top of my head. It caused me a red spot over my head, which is kinda hurt.

Do you have any suggestion? Can i switch the headband? Can i put something to scatter the pressure over my head?

Ear pads are good,Isolation is ok.

Thank you.

this type of product will work with all headphones. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=seatbelt+wrap&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aseatbelt+wrap

I used the dinio seatbelt wrap for headphones that cause hotspots. may not look too sexy, but works well.

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,690 of 1,753
I doubt they're that common.  Only AKG knows for sure.

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #1,692 of 1,753
Ok so after listening for 2 weeks, imbalance problem has been solved.

At first there was a big imbalance between the left driver and the right one.

The more I listened, the better it got balanced. I think it was ok after a day or two of listening.

Hotspot problem is still causing me a headache, yet I think it's also getting better, more slowly than imbalance problem though.

All in all, i really like the sound of it. Once i have time i'll make a detailed review.

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,693 of 1,753
I picked these up in a trade.  Today is my first day with them, and so far, I couldn't be happier.  In my opinion, the sound quality, for a relatively low priced closed headphone, is outstanding.  I find the comfort to be very good.  My ears fit comfortably within the pads, and I have not had any issues with getting a good seal...I wear eye glasses.  Again, with relatively little time on these, I am finding the depth and width of the sound stage, and the clarity of the sound to be very, very good.  My sincere thanks to fellow Head-Fier, elvergun, for reaching out to me.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,694 of 1,753
OK my pads are kaput. Which pads will get me the closest thing to the stock pads? HD 280, S750, or HM5? I hear the HM5 and 280's potentially significantly alter the sound. I don't want that. I want the sound I got when I got these things out of the box. Nuts to me I can't get the same pads again. I don't want more bass and less soundstage, etc, I want the original sound of the K545 that I fell in love with. Any ideas? Tips in this regard will be mach appreciated.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,695 of 1,753
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-AKG-K540-K545-K845BT-Headphones-/181916867966?hash=item2a5b171d7e:g:gNcAAOSwwbdWMhr7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-Cover-For-AKG-K545-K845BT-Headphones-/251968816911?var=&hash=item3aaa83070f:m:mrpVqJmH8pgYcxJgAfGckNQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Queen-Size-DIY-Bass-Plus-Soft-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-AKG-K545-K845BT-Headphones-/261897046367?var=&hash=item3cfa47c95f:m:mm5TOFLuafprG2Ultv5jzKA

I found 2 velour pads and 1 extra large pad. Nothing like the original ones on ebay though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back