AKG new headphone K545?
Jun 29, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,652 of 1,753
Excuse me I meant easy to replace . Thanks

It should definitely be pretty doable. Will be easier than swapping on the larger K550/K553 or HE-400, which wasn't even too bad in my experience.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,655 of 1,753
These don't need a special amp/dac to sound good. They will sound better with better with better gear but it's not a requirement. I believe I have posted HP50 comparisons somewhere in the thread. No Momentum 2 comparisons from me though as I have not had a chance to try that headphone yet.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,656 of 1,753
  These don't need a special amp/dac to sound good. They will sound better with better with better gear but it's not a requirement. I believe I have posted HP50 comparisons somewhere in the thread. No Momentum 2 comparisons from me though as I have not had a chance to try that headphone yet.

I thought the vocals of the HP50 were too recessed and they were also too dark for my taste. Would you say the K545 has more forward vocals than the HP50?

I know the K545 is brighter than the NAD, but do you think they're as smooth in tonality at the same time as well?

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,657 of 1,753
I thought the K545 was as smooth. The big difference for me between the two was the HP50 had more emphasis on the lower midrange and the K545 had more emphasis on the upper midrange. this made the HP50 a bit warmer sounding and the K545 a bit brighter with vocals having a bit sweeter sound.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,658 of 1,753
I thought the K545 was as smooth. The big difference for me between the two was the HP50 had more emphasis on the lower midrange and the K545 had more emphasis on the upper midrange. this made the HP50 a bit warmer sounding and the K545 a bit brighter with vocals having a bit sweeter sound.

So the vocals on the K545 have the same placement (a bit recessed) as the NAD Viso HP50?

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,659 of 1,753
Ultimately I would say yes, but a personally found the K545 never seemed as recessed because because the upper midrange emphasis seemed to make them less recessed sounding. I actually bought and sold the Hp50 pretty quickly but still have the K545 because of this difference. But you mileage may vary.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #1,660 of 1,753
K545 impressions and brief comparison to other cans

These are simply a fantastic pair of cans. I usually use them un-amped straight out of my Macbook Pro or Galaxy S6, when it's not convenient for me to use my T1's/HD800's on my full set up, or when I'm not on the move which is where I use my Westone W40's instead. I also have the older pair of K551's (new cable version), and I must say, I prefer the sound of the K545's. Just a lot more bass impact and musicality, at the expense of some slight air and space to the soundstage, but well worth the minor trade off to me personally. The fit is a bit more finicky though, as the cups themselves are smaller and don't engulf the head as well. 

Compared to my favourite headphones, the T1's (amped and DAC'd), the main quality difference is that the K545 can sound a bit less honest and thinner with vocals and other instruments, slightly metallic almost, lacking a touch of that smoothness and body that the T1's have in these specific areas (the HD800's also often lack this). The sound stage is also much less expansive, and instrumental separation is not as delicate or refined. That said, bass impact with the K545 is often more enjoyable and quite a bit more impactful, just not as detailed or textured. The entire sonic presentation is also ever so slightly more vibrant and engaging at times. Imagine the T1 with a very slight v-shaped EQ applied to them, only mostly at the bottom end, to improve bass impact, and it's not far off how the K545's sound, only less airy due to being closed back in design. Still, I would not be at all surprised if in blind tests and depending on music preferences, some people actually preferred the sound of the K545's versus the T1's or HD800's, especially with certain modern music genre's.

Overall though, at the price I paid for them brand new (close to £100), I can't recommend them enough. They may not be absolutely perfect (no headphones are), lacking a slight bit of smoothness and mellowing at the top end, and with some vocals, but I'd imagine this was an intentional tweak by AKG to ensure musical details don't get lost as a result of the increased bass quantity, like they can in cans like the LCD-2's or Denon D5000's for example, both of which are too warm for my preferences, and in some ways sound even more congested. But I'm generally comparing these K545's to other headphones that are two, three, four, even up to ten times more expensive, so in that respect I'm being overly critical. You can always EQ them to get them closer to your ideal. These are stand out cans that in many ways compare sonically to headphones that are orders of magnitude more expensive, and that is no small feat. I'd probably take the K545's over the LCD-2's (ver 2), that should tell you how I feel about them, and how incredible the value is on offer.

One important caveat, I listen to music at fairly low volumes (due to having particularly sensitive hearing), so there is always a possibility that these cans for some, may possibly sound a tad harsh at times, especially if you listen to music at louder volumes, as I do feel that things up top can sound almost a little hot at times.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,661 of 1,753
For those of you who are having comfort issues due to the shallow ear pads, you can peel open the ear pads from the back and do the "tissue mod" inside the ear pads so it doesn't fall out, plus it's out of sight for a cleaner look.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,662 of 1,753
Hi guys!
I'm looking around for a new pair of headphones to buy after the summer, and the k545, together with the momentum over ear (1st gen), are quite appealing.
Now, i haven't had yet the chance to try either of the two, but in a shop in my town they have the momentum on-ears (but i don't know if 1st or 2nd gen, and when i asked the guy in the shop, all i got was a blank stare. Thought they look more like the 1st gen), so i had the chance to audition them. They weren't that bad, but the sound seemed a bit muddy and veiled (something i've noticed with pretty much every on-ear headphone i've tried).
@dweaver, i've read early in the thread that you've owned the momentum on-ear, could you compare how the k545 sound compared to the momentum?

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,663 of 1,753
For those of you who are having comfort issues due to the shallow ear pads, you can peel open the ear pads from the back and do the "tissue mod" inside the ear pads so it doesn't fall out, plus it's out of sight for a cleaner look.
I just picked up a pair of the brainwavz pads. They fit well and are much more comfortable not as inexpensive as tissue though,$20 for me worth it.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,664 of 1,753
Hi,

I bought AKG K845, the same headphones, but with Bluetooth.
So, the vocals is absolutely worst that I ever heard in my life...

Even the Chinese Superlux HD 681F for 30$ sound way better...

I think, maybe it's BT3.0 problem? But no, with wire the same thing. The vocals are, I don't know - washed out, not clear, mixed with other sounds...

I tried it with Galaxy S4 and Asus Xonar STX - same thing.

So, never trust to all those review "absolutely superb sound!", next time I need to heard the headphones by myself, 250$ to the garbage :frowning2:

I used it for 10h, don't think that burn it for 100h will change somethings X_X

0/10.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,665 of 1,753
Hi,

I bought AKG K845, the same headphones, but with Bluetooth.
So, the vocals is absolutely worst that I ever heard in my life...

Even the Chinese Superlux HD 681F for 30$ sound way better...

I think, maybe it's BT3.0 problem? But no, with wire the same thing. The vocals are, I don't know - washed out, not clear, mixed with other sounds...

I tried it with Galaxy S4 and Asus Xonar STX - same thing.

So, never trust to all those review "absolutely superb sound!", next time I need to heard the headphones by myself, 250$ to the garbage :frowning2:

I used it for 10h, don't think that burn it for 100h will change somethings X_X

0/10.
I have not heard the K845 but you may have a defective pair just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back