AKG new headphone K545?
Mar 30, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #1,609 of 1,753
  the k545 are one of my favorite picks in the mid-fi portable closed. best sound per dollar for sure since you can find them sub-$200 nowadays.

I think the nad visio also meets your criteria of wide sound stage, closed, detachable cable.

I have both, and IMO NAD is much better.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,612 of 1,753
In what ways? Just curious to know.

AKG highest part of the spectrum is more agresive, sometimes sibiliant. The other parts of sound spectrum is similar as NAD to me. Perhaps I didn't find the right words, just listening to the Nad's is more pleasing to me, as the AKG. So, when I lay down in bed, and listen to the music on my DX50, then I use HP50. When listen something on my comp, then I take AKG, so usage of both are usualy on different places with different sources. Sond on my notebook is darker, not so bright as on DX50 (rockboxed), so for notebook akg is more appropriate.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,613 of 1,753
OK, that makes sense. To my ears, the treble has a slight metallic quality, but that's because the lower treble and uppermost treble (>14 kHz) are recessed. With a little EQ applied in these two regions, the treble sounds wonderfully balanced. Conversely, if I wanted a darker sound, I would just cut around 8.5 kHz.

Back when I got the K545 I was also interested in the HP50. It's a shame that at the time it wasn't available for me to audition. I got to try out the K545 at the Harman store in NYC and was hooked. Now I see the HP50 is being stocked at Best Buy. It's a great time to be a headphone enthusiast. :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,615 of 1,753
OK, that makes sense. To my ears, the treble has a slight metallic quality, but that's because the lower treble and uppermost treble (>14 kHz) are recessed. With a little EQ applied in these two regions, the treble sounds wonderfully balanced. Conversely, if I wanted a darker sound, I would just cut around 8.5 kHz.

Back when I got the K545 I was also interested in the HP50. It's a shame that at the time it wasn't available for me to audition. I got to try out the K545 at the Harman store in NYC and was hooked. Now I see the HP50 is being stocked at Best Buy. It's a great time to be a headphone enthusiast.
smily_headphones1.gif

I certainly hope being able to easily sample high-end headphones becomes a thing in the near future. It's still pretty much bose and beats where I live.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,616 of 1,753

Back when I got the K545 I was also interested in the HP50. It's a shame that at the time it wasn't available for me to audition. I got to try out the K545 at the Harman store in NYC and was hooked. Now I see the HP50 is being stocked at Best Buy. It's a great time to be a headphone enthusiast.
smily_headphones1.gif

@rhythm is life I changed out my pads to Brainwavz and it tightend up the bass and softend the highs, widened the soundstage a bit also, at least for me. Also alot more comfortable.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,617 of 1,753
So I just pulled the trigger on the K545s. Thanks to everyone for all the advice. This thread has been a huge help.

I know I've already purchased them, but I am wondering how the K545s might stack up against the Shure SRH940s. Is there anyone here who has tried both of these that can speak to how they compare? I'm particularly curious about sound stage and overall sound signature. Beyond that, I'm guessing K545 might have the upper hand in comfort, not so sure about portability.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,618 of 1,753
Hello guys. I loved the sound of the H6 which I auditioned. I can't explain it, but they just didn't sound as forward as the MSR7 that I have, which I did not like. However, they are quite expensive, and that is too bad. How would you guys recommend the H6 against the K545? Thanks. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #1,620 of 1,753
Just got a pair of these.  I like them.  Nothing fancy, but they get the job done.   The K550, IMO, is a better headphone, but you can't take those around with you without looking silly.

I like these better than the H6, the PM-3 (I bought and sold\returned both recently) and a bunch of other portables which I've owned or heard over the years.  The H6 and the PM-3 are better headphones (technically), but somehow I prefer the signature of the K545. 

I bought the HD280 headband...and I might try the HM5 pads.  The headband bothers me...which is strange since I had no problems with the K550s.   The pads could be a little roomier -- I hope the HM5 pads don't change the signature too much.  I guess I can live with the stock pads.

Just some random thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back