AKG new headphone K545?
Mar 4, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,592 of 1,753
I don't think anyone on this thread has had any QC problems. And personally, if I could only choose one headphone I think I would pick these as they are a great all around headphone, portable enough to go on a bag, closed, good across the spectrum and good soundstage, and quite comfortable for longer sessions.

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,593 of 1,753
I agree. I previously had the AKG K551 and they were amazing headphones. Unfortunately I didn't have them in my possession for too long so I cannot recall the details on them accurately but the soundstage and noise cancelling/reduction was quite impressive.

That being said there are quite a few reports of QC issues but that could be batch related. It would be helpful if we could somehow narrow it down and get more information on this. I am not trying to discredit the K545 as they are great headphones but rather to narrow down and have more concrete or firm details.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #1,594 of 1,753
Mar 23, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,595 of 1,753

Thanks for keeping me posted on this. I look forward to seeing whether the QC issues were resolved. I currently use the HD 380 Pro for portable/mobile usage but would like something to supplement them.

I also previously had the Momentum over-ears (1st Generation) and had issues where the cups were to small for my ears even though they were over-ears. I also had various issues whereby the channel would stop responding (right channel usually) in the winter unless I took out the cable and re-inserted it into the headphone jack on the headphones themselves. I couldn't explain it but the temperatures were quite cold as they were usually put into a bag or a backpack. They were well built but those two issues were deal breakers for me. 

No problem! I've had the K545 for a little over a week now and I have had no problems QC wise with them!

No driver flex.
L/R Driver sound levels match.
No rattling.

With that said, I don't think I got a "new batch" pair. Is there anyway that I could check the date these were manufactured? On the back of the box the K545 came in it was dated 2013 for the black and turquoise pair that I ended up getting.

If you have any other questions about the K545 ask me about them and i'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,596 of 1,753
Hello music lovers.I'm fighting a battle with leukemia.The prices of meds are truly crazy.Would anyone have a pair of headphones for sale cheap 

buysonic has them for $179.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,598 of 1,753
That is much more than I have now with Sprycel my cancer drug $9000 a month

the new k553 is out on massdrop for $139. a bit bigger for true portable use, but while you're getting chemo u can def still use em. close back & big sound stage so u can just let urself to carried away by the music. realistically better performance than the k545 as the old k550 outperformed the k545 too.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,602 of 1,753
Would you guys say the K545 are the best closed cans in their price range (that has a detachable cable)? I've been eying these for months. I have some concerns about the QC issues, but from what I can tell they're the best closed can you can get for the price. To clarify, I am looking for closed back headphones with a wide sound stage and a detachable cable.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,603 of 1,753
To followup my above post, I'd be willing to pay more so long as it is closed, has wide sound stage, and detachable cable. I feel like the K545 is the only thing I can find that meets these criteria and sounds good.

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,604 of 1,753
To followup my above post, I'd be willing to pay more so long as it is closed, has wide sound stage, and detachable cable. I feel like the K545 is the only thing I can find that meets these criteria and sounds good.
I have the 276 TIESTOs on the way but I can't comment on them yet. From what I've heard the 545s are definitely the best given your criteria.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,605 of 1,753

the k545 are one of my favorite picks in the mid-fi portable closed. best sound per dollar for sure since you can find them sub-$200 nowadays.

I think the nad visio also meets your criteria of wide sound stage, closed, detachable cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back