AKG new headphone K545?
May 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,381 of 1,753
Thick armed glasses will definitely affect the sound quality of the K545. I wear thin armed glasses with no real detereoration but many with thicker glasses have mentioned issues with seal.

May 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,382 of 1,753
Just ordered these today from RazerDog and was wondering if there is a cable that people are using?  Most of the time I'm gonna be using them I'm not going to need to be able to talk on the phone so the in line mic isn't really necessary.

May 15, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,383 of 1,753
You never wear glasses with a pair of headphones unless they're open.

The K545 can technically be run from any source and still sound optimal as they don't require a lot of power to be driven properly.
  It was from my phone (sony xperia z2), but it was amp through the BB setup. Now that I think of it, it could be the thick glasses of mine that changed the sound.

http://www.headphone.com/collections/cables/products/sennehiser-hd-5x8-short-cable

If the stock cable works on the K545 (which it does), then these will work as well. Pretty affordable, short, thick cable, starts 2.5 and terminates 3.5.
  Just ordered these today from RazerDog and was wondering if there is a cable that people are using?  Most of the time I'm gonna be using them I'm not going to need to be able to talk on the phone so the in line mic isn't really necessary.

May 15, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #1,384 of 1,753

The K545 can technically be run from any source and still sound optimal as they don't require a lot of power to be driven properly.

http://www.headphone.com/collections/cables/products/sennehiser-hd-5x8-short-cable

If the stock cable works on the K545 (which it does), then these will work as well. Pretty affordable, short, thick cable, starts 2.5 and terminates 3.5.

I do wear glasses while using my H6. They don't affect the sound by too much unless the glasses's legs are too thick

May 15, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #1,385 of 1,753
But.. thick glasses legs are more fashionable... Dem wayfarers...

Honestly, I can't stand the loss of bass when I had my glasses on with the k545's stock pads. The HM5 pads are so soft that they slip under the pads without raising them too much so that kinda works. Depending on the size of the earcups, I can compromise by having the legs go over them which doesn't disturb the earpads at all.

Quote:
I do wear glasses while using my H6. They don't affect the sound by too much unless the glasses's legs are too thick

May 15, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,387 of 1,753
Lower frequencies are probably more affected by open spaces in terms of dissipation. It's why on pretty much every headphone, high frequencies have to be tuned downwards in order to compensate for the space that would normally exist between a pair of speakers and it's listener.

Although on the other hand, it might have to do with the way sound travels through mediums. Sound travels much more effectively through solids and liquids than they do in gases. When your glasses come in between the contact of your earpads and your head, I assume some of the sound becomes dissipated into the arms of the glasses. Since sub bass and bass in general is felt more than heard, the impact of sound quality loss becomes more apparent in those frequencies.

Since sound across all frequencies travels at roughly the same speed, the amount of sound loss from all frequencies created from sound escaping from the gaps created by glasses must be equal. The whole "sound traveling through the earcups to earpads to head to ear canal" is all that I can think of that can explain why the most noticeable sound quality loss comes from lower frequencies.

So if this is true, it'll probably explain why wearing glasses will not affect the sound quality of open headphones since there is enough sound escaping from the design. I think it really holds true especially with open headphones with velour earpads since those pads are quite porous and do not allow sound to travel through them in a single direction as easily.

Either that or it's nearly 3 am here and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Quote:
  Not sure what the fashion trends are up to [because really, I don't follow] but maybe it is because of the tiny open space the leg of the glasses created that allow the lower frequency to escape? Just my guess

May 15, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,388 of 1,753

But basically it just needs to be a 2.5 to 3.5 cable?

May 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,389 of 1,753
Not only that but the plug for the 2.5 end has to be very slim. Most 2.5 to 3.5 adapters will be too fat to fit inside or will not reach the depth required for a proper connection. The Sennheiser cable's 2.5 plug just to happens to be slightly thinner than the plug on the AKG cable so that works out perfectly.

Quote:

But basically it just needs to be a 2.5 to 3.5 cable?

May 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,391 of 1,753
So I just returned the V moda m100's I had and probably gonna check these headphones out next. I like the m100's but they were extremely uncomfortable and I though maybe there was a little too much bass. I enjoyed the bass with pop music but when I switched over to more rock or metal.... it just got muddy. I found I perfered the sound overall of my m50's for the more guitar driven stuff. I DID very much enjoy the sound stage of the m100's and how things sounded much more real.

So... Do the k545 maybe fit the bill I'm looking for? Comfortable, good bass, good with rock and metal, sound stage, lively engaging sound?

May 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,393 of 1,753
Just ordered a pair, the black and orange... from razordog audio. Well I ordered it a few hours ago and it's already been shipped! Excellent service. I'm really hoping these are my end (for awhile at least) for headphones. I've spend full days at different points over the last few years researching on this site. My journey started with the Denon HP50's, then the GR07's, Ath50's, Vmoda M100(returned) and now the K545's. 

May 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,394 of 1,753
I like the m100's but they were extremely uncomfortable and I though maybe there was a little too much bass. I enjoyed the bass with pop music but when I switched over to more rock or metal.... it just got muddy. I found I perfered the sound overall of my m50's for the more guitar driven stuff. I DID very much enjoy the sound stage of the m100's and how things sounded much more real.  
So... Do the k545 maybe fit the bill I'm looking for? Comfortable, good bass, good with rock and metal, sound stage, lively engaging sound?

M100 is only uncomfortable first two days imo, then it didn't bother me anymore. I don't have K545 but from hearing it in the store I would prepare for a lighter airier sound.

May 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,395 of 1,753
Well, guys, my K545 suddenly broke on me. One side started playing a louder low end than the other.
I tried my other wire and a different source and there was no change. :frowning2:
I do have a warranty on them with best buy and I'll get them fixed or a new pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back