AKG new headphone K545?
Apr 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #1,351 of 1,753
Hi Stillhart,

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll definitely send him a PM. Have a great weekend!

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,353 of 1,753
I own a pair of HD598s; the 2.5mm plug does indeed fit the K545.

Sorry for the potato quality image lol.

Quote:
Would the FiiO RC-HD1 work with the K545?

Edit: The cable is kinda long. You could probably find a cheaper adapter head + 3.5 to 3.5 cable. I have an adapter myself but it's not narrow enough to fit into the K545. Still in the process of filing down the sides of it.

Edit 2: http://www.headphone.com/accessories/cables/sennehiser-hd-5x8-short-cable.php
Actually this seems to be pretty much the same cable at half the price.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #1,356 of 1,753
Better will also be in the ear of the beholder. So depending what you specifically liked and disliked about the 598 will determine if you would like the K545.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,357 of 1,753
Well I read a review that the momentums were sonically better quality than the the k545's, and I was really looking for something better than the momentums :frowning2:. Guess my quest continues...

P.s. I loved my hd598s but wouldn't mind something less laid back. But I still prefer a neutralish signature.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,358 of 1,753
I would say "better" is debatable from my listening experience but that's because it's subjective. Anyway if you wanting a neutralish signature then the K545 is probably not it anyway.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,359 of 1,753
  How does the k545's compare to the hd598's Semont? I just sold my hd598's and was looking at the k545's.

I find the open sound and the comfort of the the HD598s really pleasing to the ear but there's not very much bass in it. You can only achieve some bass by using an amp and then using an equalizer (or bass switch if your amp has it). The K545s are very nice as well, they're my favorite closed headphone overall for both listening and portable use. It's got very nice sub bass which is not too overpowering but it has it's presence. I had the V Moda M100 before these and the K545 is the reason why I exchanged them. The mids on the K545 are also very nice as well. My favorite thing about the K545 (and especially the K550) is the soundstage which can only be described as the reverb of a closed headphone with very good instrument separation. That combined with what I perceive as a neutral sound was really why I picked the K545.

On the other hand, the HD598 works pretty well with glasses since it's an open design and with glasses on the K545, you lose much of the bass and lower mid impact. As far as comfort goes with the K545, it's only good once you have the proper adjustment on your head and you let the pads sink into your head. If you keep fiddling around with it, you'll always feel irritated with how it sits on your head. Once you do get the seal right, it does feel quite nice, however the pads aren't as thick as I'd like them to be so my ears do touch the driver cover. I have the HM5 replacement pads on the way so they might remedy that; how it'll affect the headphone in the sonic department, I have no idea (will probably impact the soundstage and bass like how the XL pads did for the M100). Another problem that I found with the K545 has to do with the manufacturing process of the headphone. Since the headband is a thin metal sheet, it is possible for it to be permanently bent if too much force is exerted over it. Mine came with a very tiny defect where the right side had a noticeable bend on it which affects the adjustment of the earcups. Ultimately, the right earcup is always slightly lower and closer to the center of the headphone when compared to the left earcup. Luckily, my right ear is slightly lower than my left ear so it all kinda works out.

Because of the wide soundstage of the K545, I wasn't really too impressed with the HD598 when I first got it. I really had to listen to each headphone on their own for quite some time before I felt satisfied with their differences. I now find the HD598 to be superior for home use (as it should be) but if I'm listening to some electronic music at home, it's still pretty fun to put on the K545.

I've also auditioned the Nad50 and the Momentums (both on and over types; over is sonically superior) and honestly, while the Nad50 sounded pretty good, I couldn't get the headphone to fit properly on my head (I've got a small head with small ears) so I could never get a seal on. As far as the Momentums, I didn't find them to be very impressive to be honest since I found the sound way too cluttered. Once I tried on the K545, the soundstage on those instantly won me over the Momentums. Personally, a more open soundstage (up to a certain point) translates to more clarity but that might not be the case for you.

Hope this post helped.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #1,360 of 1,753
CCK works too actually.

+1for budget friendly DAC for iOS xD

Sorry for digging up that old OT issue... but take a look at the Beyerdynamic A200p (aka AK10).
CCK does not work with iPhone (just iPad), so thats not an option in many cases I guess.

Regarding the K545: as much as I liked the K550 optics... to me the headband is too large for the smaller cups of the 545. Which is really unfortunate as they are really interesting otherwise.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,361 of 1,753
Can anyone please measure the approximate length, width, and height of the AKG K545 headphones when folded flat and with the headband in the shortest position? I would like to see which hard-bodied case these would fit into.

Thanks.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #1,362 of 1,753
  Can anyone please measure the approximate length, width, and height of the AKG K545 headphones when folded flat and with the headband in the shortest position? I would like to see which hard-bodied case these would fit into.

Thanks.

8.75" x 8" x 2"  To be safe, I'd get something that's closer to 10 x 9 x 3 and add some padding yourself :wink: This is with a K845 BTW, should probably mention that.

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #1,363 of 1,753
This headphone rocks for a closed back, although I wish the low bass was clearer and tighter.  Midrange balance sits very well with me, and the treble is quite clear and sparkly to boot.

I tried some SRH750 pads for the heck of it and now I like the bass much better.  They will, however, mellow out and somewhat darken the sound.  I do not mind for now, and I'll probably switch back to the stock pads for the heck of it later.

HD598 vs K545 strikes me as apples vs oranges or whatever.  Also, while 545 is slightly V-shaped and quite bassy, I'm finding 598 very mid-forward and it boasts abundant lower mids and upper bass, which also contribute to a pleasantly thick sound.  Quite a different balance from 545, not to mention it is also much more mellow than stock K545.
As much as I love HD598's balance, too much lower mids puts me off.  Female vocals are way too chesty, among other things.  But then I put on HD650, A2000X, T90, K601, or my modified K701 and forget all about 598. 
k701smile.gif

545 also has the advantage of decent isolation, at least for me anyway.  I bent the headband for a more snug fit and slightly better isolation, too.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #1,364 of 1,753

8.75" x 8" x 2"  To be safe, I'd get something that's closer to 10 x 9 x 3 and add some padding yourself :wink: This is with a K845 BTW, should probably mention that.

Thanks for this. *Sigh*. If these are indeed the dimensions of the AKG K545 as well, then I can't seem to find a single case that could fit these headphones. 8.75" is just too large. The maximum length of the headphone cases I'm seeing is about 8.25".

Is there anyone that can confirm the dimensions of the K545 and maybe suggest a case that would fit these headphones? The case at the link http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Headphone-hard-case-bag-pouch-for-pioneer-hdj1000-hdj2000-hdj-2000-headphone/837706795.html that was suggested a while back doesn't seem like it would fit the K545.

Edit: I should say that I'm looking for a headphone case that fits flat-folding headphones, so that the case takes up the least space possible in a school bag for instance.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,365 of 1,753

Thanks for this. *Sigh*. If these are indeed the dimensions of the AKG K545 as well, then I can't seem to find a single case that could fit these headphones. 8.75" is just too large. The maximum length of the headphone cases I'm seeing is about 8.25".

Is there anyone that can confirm the dimensions of the K545 and maybe suggest a case that would fit these headphones? The case at the link http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Headphone-hard-case-bag-pouch-for-pioneer-hdj1000-hdj2000-hdj-2000-headphone/837706795.html that was suggested a while back doesn't seem like it would fit the K545.

Edit: I should say that I'm looking for a headphone case that fits flat-folding headphones, so that the case takes up the least space possible in a school bag for instance.

It's possible they'll fit into a smaller case the housings naturally sit about 1.5 inches apart from each other when folded flat...  So that could help out a bit.  They will fit into a cass that is 7" W x 8.25" H x 2" D (internal dimensions for the case).  That's about it though :/ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back