AKG new headphone K545?
Feb 13, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #1,186 of 1,753
Hello all,

First post on head-fi so I am not even close to knowing anything about headphones.

However, after following this thread for quite a while and spending countless hours reading anything that appeared online about them, I purchased the black K545's two days ago and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I do not like flashy headphones so I really liked the classy style of the k545s. I will not comment on the sound quality other than saying they sounded great since I have no idea how to do so. I did however feel a pressure point at the top of my head while listening to the K545s, but after bending them a little it has faded away. These were the second pair of headphones over $20 I have purchased, the first being the Momemtums. But like it happened with the Momemtums the k545s were too small for my ears. The top and bottom of my ears slightly touch the earpads, making the k545s uncomfortable after a few minutes of listening to them. So I will have to return them and continue my search.

If anyone could help me by suggesting headphones below $350 that are similar in sound to the k545s but for slightly bigger ears, I would be very thankful.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #1,187 of 1,753
The AKG K550/K551 might fit the bill.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #1,188 of 1,753
Do you need portability and you need a closed back headphone?

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #1,189 of 1,753
  Hello all,

First post on head-fi so I am not even close to knowing anything about headphones.

However, after following this thread for quite a while and spending countless hours reading anything that appeared online about them, I purchased the black K545's two days ago and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I do not like flashy headphones so I really liked the classy style of the k545s. I will not comment on the sound quality other than saying they sounded great since I have no idea how to do so. I did however feel a pressure point at the top of my head while listening to the K545s, but after bending them a little it has faded away. These were the second pair of headphones over $20 I have purchased, the first being the Momemtums. But like it happened with the Momemtums the k545s were too small for my ears. The top and bottom of my ears slightly touch the earpads, making the k545s uncomfortable after a few minutes of listening to them. So I will have to return them and continue my search.

If anyone could help me by suggesting headphones below $350 that are similar in sound to the k545s but for slightly bigger ears, I would be very thankful.

You could order different earpads. HM5 pads are litle oval and bigger than original. When ordering them, you must order two.
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc#product-tabs

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,190 of 1,753
They have to be closed back since I would be using them in the library as well. Portability would be nice.

I never thought about changing earpads so I might give that a look as well

I was checking the k550s but they seem like they are way too big.

Thank you for your responses.

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,191 of 1,753
The ear pad swap is a good option

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,192 of 1,753
I'm super super interested in these headphones, even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the K550.

Has anyone worked out the best place to source these in Australia? :0

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,194 of 1,753
i should know this by now and have already asked this and still dont know but what is the difference between U shaped and V shaped.

Very little actually. Lol. They are generally used interchangeable. At times U shaped is used to dignify a wider U or a boost to the sub-bass and ultrasonic highs. I never found the K545 to be U shaped in that sense, or even V shaped.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,196 of 1,753
Mine just came in today, got 'em from Razordog and they are in perfect condition! I'll probably write a review up after spending a decent amount of time with them, but I can surely say that so far they sound great!

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,198 of 1,753
After having the HP50's for a day or so and ABing them with the 545's I'm still loving the sound of my 545's thus far! Getting to compare the two has made me love the sound of the 545 even more. 
I stuck down my comparisons on this thread. I think I started rambling a bit much too post here...............

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,200 of 1,753
Brian at Razordog confirmed the defects on my K545, and tested the replacement before shipping. Everything is good... and they should arrive tomorrow...

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back