AKG new headphone K545?
Feb 8, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,156 of 1,753
To bad, you might be able to ask them to test before they ship, it's less hassle for them and for you...

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #1,157 of 1,753
I may just do that, because as I keep testing these I am absolutely loving what I'm hearing from the right cup. As for the crinkling, I noticed its the pads' plastic hooks causing it... so that part, at least, is not a housing issue. Scratch that, tried some different pads and its definitely a crinkling sound within the housing during adjustment.

I also figured out the issue with the Asgard 2. It's not the amp, nor the headphone... it's the cable not connecting correctly to the 1/4 inch adapter. I have to twist it for it to work. I would assume that's a connector issue within the cable, itself... both cables at that.

Still, the left earcup is defective, regardless if I fixed the other issue. I'm going to ask razordog if they are willing to do an exchange where they test it before shipping, as you suggest. I'm also going to ask if he'll cover the return shipping. If he does both... then I will give these another chance.'

The right cup really sounds AMAZING, though! I know these are the portable I've long been searching for (just ask @waynes world how many I've gone through lol)... so lets hope things go well. I will report back....

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #1,158 of 1,753
I bought a black pair from Razordog last week no sound problems but there is a cosmetic defect on the metal disk on the back of the left cup
Since I am in Australia and it does not effect sound quality I won't worry about it
Seems like quality control at the factory is a little lazy
In my case it is a small dent in the edge of the metal disk , it is not something I would expect Razordog to pick up but the person who assembled the headphone must have seen it and just not bothered
From a design point of view it would appear form has won over function
They look great the proportions are perfect but this has caused the pads to be very narrow
Seal is vital with these headphones lose it and the bass vanishes like magic
Narrow pads and light clamping makes it very easy to break the seal
Forget about wearing glasses even thin wire type arms lift the pads too far
Apart from that they are great , the sound is top class straight out of my ipod

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,159 of 1,753

The right cup really sounds AMAZING, though! I know these are the portable I've long been searching for (just ask @waynes world how many I've gone through lol)... so lets hope things go well. I will report back....

And you know they are going to sound TWICE as good once you get both drivers working properly. I think you're set lol!

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #1,160 of 1,753
Razordog is replacing these and covering return shipping. Very classy of Brian, indeed! Will report back when I get my replacement...

*crosses fingers*

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #1,161 of 1,753
  Did I mention... I have some alpha pads on hand to try on these?!? 
popcorn.gif

I had some as well but didnt even bother because they are a bit small compared to the alphas.

hey having these and the 1540's would you say the 1540's are a level up in sq?

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,162 of 1,753

Seal is vital with these headphones lose it and the bass vanishes like magic
Narrow pads and light clamping makes it very easy to break the seal
Forget about wearing glasses even thin wire type arms lift the pads too far

For the record, I wear plastic framed glasses, arm thickness about 7mm, & I have no problem with seal (or comfort).  

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,163 of 1,753
I have wide arms on my glasses that are not very thick and have zero seal issues.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,164 of 1,753
I could not get a good seal over the wire arm of my glasses , it would settle after a couple of minutes but there was still a notable loss of bass response
Fortunately  the arms are very flexible so I just pass them above the top of the pad, problem solved

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,166 of 1,753
I know someone was having issues with driver flex with their K545. I do want to chime in that I do have that issue as well with my K845. I should note, however, it isn't as severe as it doesn't happen when I put the headphones on, but if I were to push on them while I had them on, they'd click. It's driver flex, but it shouldn't damage the drivers as they tend to be designed to flex and unflex.

These have a nice warm sound to them that is very pleasing and lush. Treble quality is definitely up there as well. However, they do walk the line of sibilance on sibilant tracks.

I wish I still had the HP50 to compare. The sound is very similar. I feel treble quantity is very close between them. The K845 has a bit more impact and boom to the bass while being tighter overall. The mids on the K845 seem slightly sweeter in contrast.

Well, my black K545s arrived and let's just say...

They are defective... left earcup isn't working properly out of multiple sources. And to make matters worse, when plugged into my Asgard 2, it sounded like music was playing inside of a tin can. So disappointed.... just emailed razordog about a return.

frown.gif

I was having driver flex in the right cup. It was happening everytime I adjusted the cup. I sent them back to Amazon and got another set. Same again in the right ear, crinkling but not as severe and not really occurring as often. The clamp on the new set is much stronger too hmmm!
I have searched the net and could not find a lot on driver flex on full size cans. At this price I expect my headphones to be made to a certain standard and drivers to be built to match. The pressure needed to make the crinkle seems to be more than the pressure needed when reproducing music at high volumes so over time this must create an imbalance in the drivers. I don't think anybody has sat an flexed drivers for hours to see how SQ is affected but if I'm paying $300+ on cans I want to keep for years I'd rather not take the chance. Both drivers should react exactly the same.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #1,167 of 1,753
I was having driver flex in the right cup. It was happening everytime I adjusted the cup. I sent them back to Amazon and got another set. Same again in the right ear, crinkling but not as severe and not really occurring as often. The clamp on the new set is much stronger too hmmm!
I have searched the net and could not find a lot on driver flex on full size cans. At this price I expect my headphones to be made to a certain standard and drivers to be built to match. The pressure needed to make the crinkle seems to be more than the pressure needed when reproducing music at high volumes so over time this must create an imbalance in the drivers. I don't think anybody has sat an flexed drivers for hours to see how SQ is affected but if I'm paying $300+ on cans I want to keep for years I'd rather not take the chance. Both drivers should react exactly the same.

Anyone who has used IEMs knows about driver flex. Fortunately, in my 5 years of using IEMs that flexed, NONE have died on me for that reason. The ONLY time a driver will be damaged by driver flex is if it cannot flex back as was the case with some Focal Spirit One full-sized headphones. I had a defective set, they were replaced with a non-defective set. Both pairs flexed. Driver flex can be natural in ANY pair of headphones, I've gotten it in full-sized cans quite often. A driver is designed to be flexible and be able to move (the issue with Focal's was that is was too stiff and didn't flex back, a rare case actually). As I've stated, unless it has physically damaged the driver already, driver flex is no issue.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,168 of 1,753
Anyone who has used IEMs knows about driver flex. Fortunately, in my 5 years of using IEMs that flexed, NONE have died on me for that reason. The ONLY time a driver will be damaged by driver flex is if it cannot flex back as was the case with some Focal Spirit One full-sized headphones. I had a defective set, they were replaced with a non-defective set. Both pairs flexed. Driver flex can be natural in ANY pair of headphones, I've gotten it in full-sized cans quite often. A driver is designed to be flexible and be able to move (the issue with Focal's was that is was too stiff and didn't flex back, a rare case actually). As I've stated, unless it has physically damaged the driver already, driver flex is no issue.

Hah, well what can I say I'm a pedant who craves symmetry!!! 

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #1,169 of 1,753
I'm really liking these. But at higher volumes, the treble can be a bit much. I should have my HP50s in a few days to compare. These are almost perfect but I do listen to it loud, so I might prefer the NADs. I've heard the treble is a little more subdued and have a warmer signature. Hopefully not to warm though.

Really looking forward to hearing your opinions on the HP50. I have the same problems with the highs on the 545 but it's not a dealbreaker.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back