AKG new headphone K545?
Jan 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #977 of 1,753
  My set came today! What an experience. Here are my initial impressions:

I got the all black set (if anyone wants specific shots, let me know). What a beautiful set of headphones. Classy and refined while retaining bold quality to it. It's funny, I always associated good looking headphones with a bad quality sound. They have some weight to them and feels premium. 

Comfort wise they are pretty decent. Not quite as comfy as my Sennheiser's but it gets the job done. I have bigger ears so a part of them rest on the inner wall (I find this to be an advantage, though.... I'll explain.)

The sound truly is an experience paired with me E10 DAC/Amp. Since my ears rest on the driver, the bass shines. It is deep, I definitely feel the impact on songs that call for it (I bass boost on my E10). Voices have weight and have a rich quality to them. I would best describe them as a more articulate Shure SE215. On acoustic music, they are just such a wonderful experience. Every nuance is revealed providing an engaging and detailed account of the music playing. 

Shout out to grizzlybeast for helping me with purchase advice! 

glad you like em!

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #978 of 1,753
  I think the feedback from this thread is fairly unanimous. Unless you're looking for a bass monster or a ton of isolation, I say go for it! 

I think I will be very sorry to myself for not getting AKG K550 / K545 but I already have one AKG, don't feel like a 2nd pair, but K545 look so nice and since it's a K550 + warm which is what exactly I wanted although soundstage sacrisfy a lil... Thanks guys for the hard decision haha xD

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #979 of 1,753
I have my Q701 plus the K545... :)
The K545 gets the most love

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #980 of 1,753
  K545 lovers: like I feared from my home use, I'm sitting here in a coffee shop and the isolation is just not enough for a busy environment, though part of that is that I listen at fairly low levels. Have you found anything similar to the K545 sound that isolates better but that isn't on ear? There is really nothing I'd change about the signature...pretty much perfect. 

I would best describe them as a more articulate Shure SE215. 

+1

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #981 of 1,753
  K545 lovers: like I feared from my home use, I'm sitting here in a coffee shop and the isolation is just not enough for a busy environment, though part of that is that I listen at fairly low levels. Have you found anything similar to the K545 sound that isolates better but that isn't on ear? There is really nothing I'd change about the signature...pretty much perfect. 

Please give it a serious look. They look ugly online,  BUT in person and on the head less so. My wife say they look like mans headphone and liked them on me.
German maestro gmp 8.35d =
- similar bass quantity def not more but better bass texture with no large midbass hump.
- better balanced mids... closer to hd600 but not thick(really balanced)
- less soft sounding
- BEST ISOLATION OF ANY HEADPHONE PERIOD.
- swappable pads with lots of options.stock pads a bit uncomfortable but tolerable.
- easily powered.
- more attack
- equal detail
- better over ear fit
- more durable

you will sacrifice-soft timbres, a tiny bit of soundstage (better than the 7520 though/less congested), more sibilance slightly.

I would get it from amazon and return it if you don't like it. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #982 of 1,753
  Please give it a serious look. They look ugly online,  BUT in person and on the head less so. My wife say they look like mans headphone and liked them on me.
- similar bass quantity def not more but better bass texture with no midbass hump like the k545
- less soft sounding
- swappable pads with lots of options.stock pads a bit uncomfortable but tolerable.
- easily powered.
- more attack
- equal detail
- better over ear fit
- more durable

you will sacrifice-soft timbres, a tiny bit of soundstage (better than the 7520 though/less congested), more sibilance slightly.

K545 doesn't have a midbass hump. Its bass boost is centered around the subbass region. Also, those 8.35d's are some hideous headphones.

I thoroughly agree with the Cons.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #983 of 1,753

lol wut? a man's headphone??? rotfl

headphones are unisex btw

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #984 of 1,753
Guys, please, at least he is offering an option to imackler...

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #985 of 1,753
Jan 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #986 of 1,753
  lol wut? a man's headphone??? rotfl

headphones are unisex btw

definitely the most masculine headphone I have ever had ever. They definitely look wierd on a woman.
  K545 doesn't have a midbass hump. Its bass boost is centered around the subbass region. Also, those 8.35d's are some hideous headphones.

I thoroughly agree with the Cons.

i cant believe i put a midbass hump I messed up there for sure. I will edit that.

when i edited it I injected a sentence in the middle I just left it and forgot to delete the rest of it.

Also when worn they have a very stealthy low profile look that doesnt draw attention because of the form.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #988 of 1,753
No idea about sound differences but the HM5 is definitely deeper.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #989 of 1,753
  Anyone know if the HM5 are deeper than the stock pads? After hour 3, my ears start to get irritated by the stock pads. Did anyone notice the sound quality decrease using the HM5 pads?

I have had them but not on the akg. I had them on the ZMF mod and they are indeed deeper, softer, and fit over the ear better

I cant comment on the sq with the akg. I have some coming in shortly as well as I have a ZMF modded fostex coming on loan.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #990 of 1,753
- similar bass quantity def not more but better bass texture with no large midbass hump.
- less soft sounding
- easily powered.
- more attack
- equal detail
- better over ear fit
- more durable

+1 on the GMP 8.35d.  Good comfort and overall a really nice alternative to the K545.  I think this hp would last a lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back