AKG new headphone K545?
Dec 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #678 of 1,753
grizzlybeast, thanks for the comparison.

Your impression of the K545 is very close to mine when I first heard it. I think the sound does change with use, though. In the 2 weeks I tested it, the bass became more prominent and better defined, and the highs became less harsh. Although I thought the sound was still changing at the end of the 2 weeks.

Now that I have put around 100 hours on the 7520, the higher frequencies (high mids and the highs) have become more forward and clearer, and the bass has tightened considerably. It actually started sounding a bit veiled and muffled for a bit, but then the sound opened up dramatically.

Comparing the 2 fresh out of the boxes, I thought the K545 was thinner and the 7520 was smoother. Comparing the K545 after 2 weeks to the 7520 after 100 hours, I'd say the K545 sounds clearer and more aggressive (not that the K545 is aggressive, just comparatively speaking), and the 7520 sounds fuller and more pleasant. So the overall characters did not change, but I thought both became better balanced -- K545 with increased bass and 7520 with increased highs.

Interestingly, I found the K545 quite a bit more comfortable. The 7520's pads a little too shallow for me. I guess I got better seal with the K545, because the outside noise was shut out much more with the K545. For some reason, 7520's soundstage never bothered me. Even when I compared it to the K701, I didn't think it was lacking. 

I totally agree with your last paragraph. The K545 was designed for portable-use (included cables are clear indication), whereas the 7520 is for professional use with more critical listening.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #679 of 1,753
Well the k545 is out of the box but the 7520 had more usage on them and were a lot more burned in. The 545 has enough bass to please I don't hear em and crave a lot more. I will expect the akg to loosen up a bit. The Sony is gone now. I also am not craving more lower mids. When not comparing them they are very likable and make an easy listen. They are good hp's and I prefer them to the momentum.

It could be my head shape but I have to keep adjusting them for a good seal.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #680 of 1,753
I agree about portable use as well. Personally I think the K545 is tuned for noisier environments with maybe the exception of bass and even there I think it works. For old aged ears like mine I do like it even in quiet environments.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #681 of 1,753
Okay so I am so happy, just got sennheiser hd205 for crimbo. They sound great to me and only cost £30, I cannot even think of how the k545's would sound! Since these are my first pair of headphones, has anyone listened to these and can they compare them to the K545's.
I'm super excited now be ause if I can get good sounding headphones for this price I cannot comprehend how a 200 pair would sound!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! ;D

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #682 of 1,753
Just got my k545s for Christmas.  Also got a Fiio e11 with them.  Haven't had too much time to listen as of yet, but I'm liking what I hear from my brief listening.  Also, I love the comfort and build quality of the K545, very nice.  It sounds great w/o the amp, but I like the bass response with the amp.  Gotta do some more listening, but thumbs up for now.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #683 of 1,753
@lukalop, I am not familiar enough with the HD205 to sow you would like the K545 in comparison. Depending on differences in sonic signature you would love the K545 or hate it. But I do think your introduction in higher quality sound compared to the buds that come with most players is showing what I was talking about when I said all of headphones you have been looking will be better than what you are used to.

If the HD205 is similar to the K545 then I think you would notice a significant improvement in sound quality but it will not be 10 times better. One thing about headphones an audiophile equipment in general is the law of diminishing return. In other words the more you spend the less improvement per dollar is achieved. But in my experience there is generally a lot of improvement at the $2-300 range over the $20 range so long as you match the signature you like. What you need to do is read up on the HD205 and determine what it's signature is and then key on headphones in the $200 range that are similar.

@PhantomGreen, I look forward to your further impressions. I too like the build quality and comfort. I am not familiar with the E11 so look forward to hearing how it works out with the K545.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #685 of 1,753
I took a look at some of the E11 reviews and posts and think your right, it should be a good fit.

I am at my Mother's for Christmas and take off for breaks from family every once is a while and the K545 is my constant companion when I do. I am enjoying Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon Deluxe edition and enjoying the heck out of the album, it does a good job of using all of the K545 sound stage and unique signature. They have just enough isolation to give me some relief while not being to cut off in case someone needs me.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #686 of 1,753
So after many delays my  K545 should arrive next Thursday along with the fiio E18. I'll post my first impressions plus a review of the pair in a couple of weeks 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #687 of 1,753
If the HD205 is similar to the K545 then I think you would notice a significant improvement in sound quality but it will not be 10 times better. One thing about headphones an audiophile equipment in general is the law of diminishing return. In other words the more you spend the less improvement per dollar is achieved. But in my experience there is generally a lot of improvement at the $2-300 range over the $20 range so long as you match the signature you like. What you need to do is read up on the HD205 and determine what it's signature is and then key on headphones in the $200 range that are similar.

+1. I've noticed improvements going from the $100 bracket to the $200-300 bracket. I think at $200-300, you can find the best sound quality & sound signature that suits you if you do a little research. There is quite a lot of variation at the $200-300 price range, so you can find something you like on the lower end of that scale. For instance, I personally really liked the AKG K550 ($220) & the MDR-1r ($180) better than the Sennheiser Momentums (that were $350 at the time).

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #688 of 1,753
Guys.... would the k545's be a good replacement for a guy who loves the over ear momentums but unfortunately cannot get his ears to fit inside them??? XD

Sound quality, resolution, fit and confort, seal, construction.... do they match the momentums on all these aspects?

Cheers....

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #689 of 1,753
  Guys.... would the k545's be a good replacement for a guy who loves the over ear momentums but unfortunately cannot get his ears to fit inside them??? XD

Sound quality, resolution, fit and confort, seal, construction.... do they match the momentums on all these aspects?

Cheers....

yep! all of the above!

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #690 of 1,753
The seal might be the only area that will be off depending on your head size. Having said that they are a different sound signature so I recommend you try them out at Best Buy if your in the US.

Personally I enjoy the K545 more as it has more sub bass and less mid bass and in my opinion better treble. The lower midrange is less emphasized and the upper midrange is more emphasized in comparison to the Momentum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back