AKG new headphone K545?
Dec 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #466 of 1,753
25 cans & +40 IEM's?!
You either must be really into music or just break all of them!

What is the difference though between an amp and a dac. I am looking at a mixamp pro made by astro because it has 7.1 virtual surround sound!!! Could you recommend any DAC's or AMPs then that have surround sound. I thought they were both the same thing.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #467 of 1,753
A good sound card with surround sound can do the trick but beware the surround sound will not apply to the headphone out jack. Auzentech makes very good sound cards that higher quality headphone output.

Personally I am using an Audioengine D1 DAC/amp combo and it is amazing with the K545. But it is not a sound card so does not do surround sound to speakers.

I have sold most of my gear to keep costs down. I am a bit of a hobbyist when it comes to headphones as I like to write reviews and try new stuff. The K545 won't be getting sold though...

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #470 of 1,753
I have heard cans with very artificial sounding sound stages either because they are to large or they use a cavern like echo. I find some of the Audio Technical open headphones to sound artificial for example. I find most AKG cans to have good natural sounding sound stages.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #472 of 1,753
Not sure which context they would be using the term in. In most cases body is another way of saying it's robust or full sounding. I would say the K545 sounds fuller than the K701 because the K701 has a lean quality to the sound due to it's lack of bass and upper mid/treble emphasis. The K545 on the other has solid bass plus a warmer midrange and slightly less treble emphasis.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #474 of 1,753
Last post from me as I have to concentrate on work LOL. I am not a huge fan of the HD598. That aside I would say it has a similar size sound stage as the K545 as it does not have as large a sound stage has many open headphones while the K545 has a larger than everage sound stage for a closed headphone.

I find the HD598 to have not a good a cymbal reproduction and I am just not fond of the mids and the bass of that model. This is just personal taste but that's how I hear them.

Also don't forget they are an open phone so they will not work well outside due to letting in to much outside noise. Finally the HD598 has a higher ohm rating so is getting to the point of needing an amp to sound right.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #475 of 1,753
I find it bizarre that earbuds can cost as much as if not more than headphones. Out of your IEM's what would you say were the top three?
Also (yes I think you know where I'm going again) can IEM's have good soundstage since their drivers are so small in diameter? If you were to go for a pure quality standpoint what are better headphones or earbuds?

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #476 of 1,753
I tried hard to find the earphone that could do what your asking. None ever really accomplished that goal.

Having said that a good earphone can really allow you an intimate window into you music and offer better isolation.

GR07 is a good IEM with a wide sound stage for an IEM.
Sony XBA3/30 is a good choice for a balance between bass and detail. It has an average sound stage.
Sennheiser IE80 has a good sound stage but very high price that is to high in my opinion (only buy from authorized reseller, no eBay buying from China as almost all are fake and guaranteed fake if they have a low price).

There are a ton more good IEM options but you should read Jokers thread and ask some questions there for more guidance.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #477 of 1,753
@Lukalop 
not to be mean bro but you need to ask questions in the corresponding thread. It can get a bit exhausting. Here they usually try to stay on the topic of the headphone itself to keep things organized so that people can find the relevant information they need. Or the send PM's

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #478 of 1,753
sorry for repost but no one answered. please help out and thanks for all the feedback and help and this should help me finish my setup.

ok i bit the bullet and brought the dragonfly. i got the older model at best buy. i didnt know if the newer dragon fly is worth it. help me answer these questions i was thinking about.

1)is the newer dragon fly better? should have i gotten it or am i ok with the older model i got at best buy.

2)the dragon fly is a dac i know and im using with my soon to be here from delivery akg k545. do i need an amp as well or no i be ok without an amp and just use the dragonfly to the k545 and it be powered ok.

3)can i use the k545 with my andrioid phone and ipod player as well without an amp since i cant use the dragonfly with it and it will sound good and still power well.

thanks for all the help!!

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #479 of 1,753
  sorry for repost but no one answered. please help out and thanks for all the feedback and help and this should help me finish my setup.

ok i bit the bullet and brought the dragonfly. i got the older model at best buy. i didnt know if the newer dragon fly is worth it. help me answer these questions i was thinking about.

1)is the newer dragon fly better? should have i gotten it or am i ok with the older model i got at best buy.

2)the dragon fly is a dac i know and im using with my soon to be here from delivery akg k545. do i need an amp as well or no i be ok without an amp and just use the dragonfly to the k545 and it be powered ok.

3)can i use the k545 with my andrioid phone and ipod player as well without an amp since i cant use the dragonfly with it and it will sound good and still power well.

thanks for all the help!!

1) I don't know. you should be okay that is a matter of personal judgement,preference and contentment for you to determine based on whatever improvements or shortcomings the dragonfly has. People may have not responded here because they don't have it.
2) No you will be find. From what i understand it amps things a little too.
3) you have to find out if the dac is android/iphone compatible. The k545 will definitely be loud enough from your phone without any amp. the Dac is all you would need in your situation. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #480 of 1,753
Sorry no experience with the dragon fly so can't offer any insight there. The K545 is easily driven by just a portable player, I use mine that way all the time. It will just sounds better with a nicely matched amp.

I appreciate all the questions I have been fielding but have to agree it gets exhausting and can diffuse the point of a thread.

In regards to the K545 I have listed what has worked well for me with the headphone. Unfortunately I have no experience with DAC and amps outside of what I own so questions about other products should be raised in the appropriate threads and forums. I also ask other off topic discussions like IEM's also be taken to PM or better yet, their appropriate forum discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back