AKG N40
Apr 3, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #256 of 311
Picked them up as well. Sound nice with Fiio silver balanced cable. They are hard to drive but do sound quite nice out of my zx507. More burn in is ahead. They do sound fairly balanced and probably the best $99 I ever spent.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #257 of 311
Picked these up on the sale, just showed up today. They sound pretty good out of my micro bl. Still burning in, but their fit is phenomenal, and I have weird ears that can be very easily irritated if they aren't shaped right. I feel good about them so far.

I suggest you try them with a pair of Comply foam tips as well. A bit more fiddly than the supplied silicone tips, but the increased seal really helps to bring out the bass.

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #258 of 311
Snagged these for $99 w/free shipping on AKG's site about a week ago.

The core parts to the AKG N40 are fantastic, but I'm rather disappointed in the quality of the cord and sound filters. I keep having connection issues with the stock cord (no buttons) and one of the bass filters has a stripped thread so it won't even go on. I'm not super broken up about it though because I considered the filters as an unnecessary add on. As long as the reference filter works fine, I'm happy.

I wanted a MMCX 2.5mm balanced cable to run these with my FiiO BTR5. I ordered a cord from FiiO, but ear-end of the cord is literally a hair too wide and rubs against the main part of the IEM (if that makes sense). So I keep running having connection issues from not being able to plug it in fully. When it does work, it sounds fantastic.

I do really want to utilize the 2.5mm balanced jack, but I don't see the FiiO cable as a longstanding option - any suggestions?

Edit: When I run the stock 3.5mm cord, the IEMs definitely receive enough power, but the highs become significantly more pronounced and the mids begin to hide and the bass is almost nonexistent. I run the same port with my over-ears and don't experience this problem so I figure it's the cable.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #259 of 311
If I bought a balanced cable for N40, then most likely it wouldn't have the over-ear cable-shaping. Are there any kind of cable shapers that you can buy for making cable run over ear. I googled but I get results that are not relevant.

I am probably going overboard with this, as I think folk run normal cables over ear. However I really appreciate the AKG N40 cabling.

Hey GreenBow! Did you ever find a 2.5mm balanced cable solution?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #260 of 311
Hey GreenBow! Did you ever find a 2.5mm balanced cable solution?

Wish I could remove previous replies so I don't flood this already old message board. Found a quick solution that appears to have worked. I very carefully (VERY carefully) took an extra fine file to the corner that rubs against the main body - appears to have done the trick!

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #261 of 311
Hi everyone I have a concern. I have never bought a replacement cable before, so, i dont know if i should buy a new one for the AKG N40. Is there any better if i replace the stock cable by the Fiio silver cable or 60 70$ others cable? Is the stock cable good enough for them? And generally, how much does a replacement cable cost to be better than the stock one.
Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #262 of 311
Hi everyone I have a concern. I have never bought a replacement cable before, so, i dont know if i should buy a new one for the AKG N40. Is there any better if i replace the stock cable by the Fiio silver cable or 60 70$ others cable? Is the stock cable good enough for them? And generally, how much does a replacement cable cost to be better than the stock one.
Thank you so much.

I'm by no means an expert in IEMs and their cables. I'm more of a headphone guy. That said, I do have the N40s and I have replaced the cables on them. I noted earlier in this thread a particular design flaw of the N40s that makes replacing cables mildly difficult. The port is quite close to the body so typical wrap-around ear replacement cables don't always work. I bought a FiiO replacement cable and filed down the edge to fit tightly in there and that worked (cost about $50). I also used this cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZQCH9CN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) and it works well with the N40. Its not the best cable on the market but it fits the N40s without having to file anything down.

I definitely recommending getting a replacement cable. The stock cable with the N40s sucks, I replaced it the second I saw it. I don't think, however, you need to spend a ton of money on it. Something around $30 to $50 would be just fine. It also depends on what you're running these IEMs off of. Buying a $70 cable when you're using the iPhone dongle would be silly, so keep that in mind.

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #263 of 311
I'm by no means an expert in IEMs and their cables. I'm more of a headphone guy. That said, I do have the N40s and I have replaced the cables on them. I noted earlier in this thread a particular design flaw of the N40s that makes replacing cables mildly difficult. The port is quite close to the body so typical wrap-around ear replacement cables don't always work. I bought a FiiO replacement cable and filed down the edge to fit tightly in there and that worked (cost about $50). I also used this cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZQCH9CN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) and it works well with the N40. Its not the best cable on the market but it fits the N40s without having to file anything down.

I definitely recommending getting a replacement cable. The stock cable with the N40s sucks, I replaced it the second I saw it. I don't think, however, you need to spend a ton of money on it. Something around $30 to $50 would be just fine. It also depends on what you're running these IEMs off of. Buying a $70 cable when you're using the iPhone dongle would be silly, so keep that in mind.
Thank you for your advice,
I do think the N40's stock cable will be broken sooner or later. I just found a 55$ cable - linsoul lsc09. I am afraid it does not fit the N40. Have you tried these Linsoul cables or others Drop's cables?

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #264 of 311
Worth checking out this thread for cable recommendations with MMCX connections.

I’ve got 2 Fiio cables and their MMCX connections don’t fit N40. I’ve had success with cables 130 and 170 from Hakuzen’s thread.

(although as Pjones said it depends on your music source how effective a cable upgrade would be).

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #265 of 311
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #268 of 311
Thank you so much.

With the angle for the N40 maybe consider these with replacement cables

1594506665442.png

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000...bbe56f471d4f7&templateKey=white_backgroup_101

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #269 of 311
I have bought a ISN S8 cable at the store in my town. It completely fits the AKG N40, though it is the cheapest cable of ISN. I tested more expensive cables from ISN (C16, S16) and Penon but it seems like there is no difference, so i decided to buy a cheapest one, costs 35$. Compared to the stock cable, it does not make huge change in sound signature, it is still my N40. But when i carefully listen for a while, it seems have a slightly wider soundstage, instruments are pushed further, and yes, its not much, i mean just tiny improve on soundstage.
20200714_174606.jpg
20200714_174622.jpg

Jul 17, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #270 of 311
I haven’t used their cables or IEMs but ISN is very reputable brand on here. The cable’s aesthetic matches the N40 well. Great choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back