Akg k81dj vs ath-m50
Jan 10, 2011 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

julioforo

Head-Fier
Hi! my question is... i want a fullsize with very good bass... the 2 finalist are the akg k81dj and the ath_m50 the second costs double than the akg's do you think that it deserves to pay twice for the m50? thankss!

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi, I can only speak for the ath m50's but they are very good for the price and still very popular with sound engineers and people like me who use them for home listening. The only thing is, although they do have very good bass that goes very low, they are also a monitor headphone so they give a very balanced accurate sound. They provide pretty good isolation and are very robust. I find them a very enjoyable listen for closed back phones. Note, they do need quite a long burn in before they even out.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Hello,
I'm inexperienced when it comes to headphones so take my impressions with a grain of salt. Also, I only have the K518, which are the same as the K81, so I cant compare them to the M50. The K518 has a very strong, punchy bass that extends pretty low yet retains a fairly accurate midrange (recessed). If you listen to electronic or hip hop, these will be a good choice but given their slightly recessed mids and almost overpowering bass, will be unenjoyable or too inaccurate for analytical genres like classical or jazz. From what I've read though, these are the characteristics of the M50 as well. The K518 are well built, fit well with very good isolation for a supra aural headphone (the K81 aren't full sized; the M50 are). For $60, these headphones are great, but I don't have anything to compare them too so don't choose based on my impressions alone. The M50s have gotten tons of positive reviews on headfi so either way you cant go wrong.
Good luck!

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 10
The M50 are worth twice as much and they sound twice as good. They are also more comfortable to me.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 10
I would consider the Sony XB series. The AKG headphones aren't going to be that comfortable and the M50s cost a bit more.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 10
The M50 is basically the improved version of the K81.  The K81 lacks detail and clarity especially in the mids and the bass. The M50 fixes these problems and gives you a lot more detail especially in the bass. It's well worth the difference vs. the K81. They are also a hell of a lot more comfy than the K81.  Only downside is that they aren't anywhere near as portable. K81 is really great for its portability.

As for the XB series, both the XB500 and the XB700 are far bassier than even the M50. The XB700 sounds closer to the K81 and the M50. The XB500 takes on a different kind of sound and is closer in style to the Beats Studios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back