AKG K812 Pro
Nov 11, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4,291 of 4,825
The new Loki Mini might be a good resource for anyone who wants to EQ the k812. I'm looking at getting one for HD800, as analog EQ is apparently better than digital EQ.

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #4,292 of 4,825
The new Loki Mini might be a good resource for anyone who wants to EQ the k812. I'm looking at getting one for HD800, as analog EQ is apparently better than digital EQ.
Isn't the loki only 4 band? I think you're better of served with software eq.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #4,293 of 4,825
I'v been liking to follow this threat, and as a owner of K812 i have to admit, that yes they have very demanding highs, but thats what they are, demanding the perfection. The bigger issue lays todays digital world, when most of the mixing or mastering engineers do not manage higher freqs, but prefer leaving them alone, when focusing the lows. 'We need bass'- attitude..

But sometimes you can find a track with professional higer freq tonality, dynamic and balance and it is just cream to the ears with K812, but only because of someone finally mixed or mastered them right.

This is actually the same reason why i loved the K701 back in the days, even i felt that the bass, which is now spot on with K812, was then a bit too much flat. I still use the K701 to check the overall balance and especially higher freqs, if they go over with K701, they will be over in the real world. Them though you can run only with low volumes to hear the actual balance, but the new K812 you can drive pretty loud and they keep the same feel.

There is not so many, especially mastering engineers out there who really can master the highs, thats the truth, unfortunately, and we consumers have to digest. Still, i would not put any extra EQ to confuse the original idea of K812, but more like waiting the right track to get the cream out from them. And im running them straight from Focusrite Saffire 6 USB with great result.

I did try HD800 also, but it took few minutes to recognize their spikes on snare area, which is a bigger problem, than the more rare highs, in my opinion. I also had the HD600, but i gave it to my father for free, who has more history with the Sennheiser.. to me they were too complicated to figure out as a reference purposes.

K812 is something you can call a reference, and thats the main reason it will divide people to at least two groups; the listeners (input) and the producers (output). Im glad we have finally the HPs like K812, maybe they will help mix or master better highs in future!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #4,294 of 4,825
turns out it there is something wrong w my k812. i tried another unit and it was fine on the recordings i have trouble with.

my main unit had some rattling/sibilance on high freq on the left cup. will be sending it for repair, might as well convert to balanced while at it.

I'm thinking of going balanced too as I've recently upgraded my DAP to a QP2R. Please do let us know if you go balanced and how it sounds.

Nov 23, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #4,295 of 4,825
The k812 with the Chord Mojo is never sibilant, or harsh. And the Mojo and Hugo are very very close. In particular the hugo2 has a “mojo” sounding filter...

Roberto

Tbh, I don't use any of the 3 filters, I use the white non-filter setting. Rob Watts, the Hugo 2 designer, recommends the white or green filters for best SQ but everyone has different preferences.

Nov 23, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #4,296 of 4,825
I'v been liking to follow this threat, and as a owner of K812 i have to admit, that yes they have very demanding highs, but thats what they are, demanding the perfection. The bigger issue lays todays digital world, when most of the mixing or mastering engineers do not manage higher freqs, but prefer leaving them alone, when focusing the lows. 'We need bass'- attitude..

But sometimes you can find a track with professional higer freq tonality, dynamic and balance and it is just cream to the ears with K812, but only because of someone finally mixed or mastered them right.

This is actually the same reason why i loved the K701 back in the days, even i felt that the bass, which is now spot on with K812, was then a bit too much flat. I still use the K701 to check the overall balance and especially higher freqs, if they go over with K701, they will be over in the real world. Them though you can run only with low volumes to hear the actual balance, but the new K812 you can drive pretty loud and they keep the same feel.

There is not so many, especially mastering engineers out there who really can master the highs, thats the truth, unfortunately, and we consumers have to digest. Still, i would not put any extra EQ to confuse the original idea of K812, but more like waiting the right track to get the cream out from them. And im running them straight from Focusrite Saffire 6 USB with great result.

I did try HD800 also, but it took few minutes to recognize their spikes on snare area, which is a bigger problem, than the more rare highs, in my opinion. I also had the HD600, but i gave it to my father for free, who has more history with the Sennheiser.. to me they were too complicated to figure out as a reference purposes.

K812 is something you can call a reference, and thats the main reason it will divide people to at least two groups; the listeners (input) and the producers (output). Im glad we have finally the HPs like K812, maybe they will help mix or master better highs in future!

Welcome to this K812 thread!

They are great headphones and I was slightly surprised about the nicely upgraded SQ with my new Chord Hugo 2. You are quite right, albums are recorded to very different levels of quality and most TOTL HP's are going to reveal the poorer quality mastering engineers. The same with my main hi-fi system where my Wilson Benesch ACT C60's are known to be a detailed and uncoloured speaker (bass light to many people). I had a large pair of PMC floorstanders before the WB's and on some albums I could hear the bass plodding along one step behind the rest of the music. And even with two good quality power amps working in bridged mono, the bass wasn't properly under control (but friends liked the quantity of bass). I still have my previous AKG's, the 702 Anniversary, and I knew from early on that they were not a great HP, I thought I could avoid paying the extra for the K812's (they were just out and the price was high) but I made a mistake and should have been bold enough to have paid the extra for the K812's in the first place.

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #4,297 of 4,825

They are great headphones and I was slightly surprised about the nicely upgraded SQ with my new Chord Hugo 2. You are quite right, albums are recorded to very different levels of quality and most TOTL HP's are going to reveal the poorer quality mastering engineers. The same with my main hi-fi system where my Wilson Benesch ACT C60's are known to be a detailed and uncoloured speaker (bass light to many people). I had a large pair of PMC floorstanders before the WB's and on some albums I could hear the bass plodding along one step behind the rest of the music. And even with two good quality power amps working in bridged mono, the bass wasn't properly under control (but friends liked the quantity of bass). I still have my previous AKG's, the 702 Anniversary, and I knew from early on that they were not a great HP, I thought I could avoid paying the extra for the K812's (they were just out and the price was high) but I made a mistake and should have been bold enough to have paid the extra for the K812's in the first place.

Actually that was my setup last night to finish off my Hugo 2 review. Absolutely loved how the H2 coupled with the K812s...brilliant!

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #4,298 of 4,825
Rush 96kHz/24bit, hi-res bliss on Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, with AKG K812s. This parametric equalizer setting is great for K812s.

20171123_213932_006.jpg

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #4,299 of 4,825

Thanks for the advice for Hugo 2, they might need a proper amp next to them in future.

These HPs has something so special in characteristics, that i have a feeling one will hold on to them for long time, when realizing the potential of them, or until anything similar will be released. I'v felt the potential of AKGs for long time now, when others took Senns or Beyers i kept wondering the AKGs unique way of developing the structure. And now with K812 they are in different league comparing previous AKGs or other same prize tag HPs. A lot of people will turnaround when these HPs starts getting more reputation, like they should bought Van Gogh, but only one single painting from 800 was sold in he's lifetime, can you imagine? They did not see the potential..

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,300 of 4,825
Thanks for the advice for Hugo 2, they might need a proper amp next to them in future.

These HPs has something so special in characteristics, that i have a feeling one will hold on to them for long time, when realizing the potential of them, or until anything similar will be released. I'v felt the potential of AKGs for long time now, when others took Senns or Beyers i kept wondering the AKGs unique way of developing the structure. And now with K812 they are in different league comparing previous AKGs or other same prize tag HPs. A lot of people will turnaround when these HPs starts getting more reputation, like they should bought Van Gogh, but only one single painting from 800 was sold in he's lifetime, can you imagine? They did not see the potential..

The Hugo 2 is very much a "proper amp" for the K812. Actually, there is no amp, just the DAC signal...so no added distortion/colouration. I would say only the LCD-4, Abyss-Phi or Susvara require a more powerful amplifier...otherwise the Hugo 2 is perfect as is. :)

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #4,303 of 4,825
Rush 96kHz/24bit, hi-res bliss on Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, with AKG K812s. This parametric equalizer setting is great for K812s.

So it is boosting 30Hz low +4dB with 0,2 wide or narrow band.. if im correct.. can add some extra warmth for sure, pretty low though, which needs energy, so +4dB could deliver, even in higher freqs it is already quite a lot.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #4,305 of 4,825
So it is boosting 30Hz low +4dB with 0,2 wide or narrow band.. if im correct.. can add some extra warmth for sure, pretty low though, which needs energy, so +4dB could deliver, even in higher freqs it is already quite a lot.

My most recent parametric equalizer settings give the AKG K812 low end power, with well controlled, non-sibilant treble. It's a real process to come up with settings that function well. I believe Q settings of one effects only the set frequency, whereas lower than one also effect a broader area around set frequency... I hope I don't have this backwards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back