AKG K812 Pro
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,701 of 4,825
Hi, I'm afraid I can't answer that question. I don't think you'll be able to adjust volume steps on an iPod thru the CCK. The iPod will just output bits and not an analog signal that you can adjust, so you'll have to adjust volume thru your external DAC/amp

And the HUGO I use has its own power supply. I'm not sure that an iPod alone can power an external USB DAC such as say the Geek Out. You will likely need an external battery to supply the additional juice

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #2,703 of 4,825
OK, I found some great info here:

http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

I think I'll just grab a DX90.

EDIT: I'm also going to try this with my wife's iPhone 4S.  I grabbed the Plugable USB hub from the above link to get around the bus-powered issue and also the Camera Connection Kit.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #2,704 of 4,825
I'm looking for a DAP primarily for Redbook.  Can I connect a bus-powered USB DAC to the DX90?
sansa fuze's (do not get the fuze+. Its bad. Just get the sansa fuze. The clip+ is good though.) and clip+'s are as good as any iPod, and even are a little better. (lower output impedance, lower distortion, and a few more aspects too.) and the fuze even has a LOD. You can find Sansa LOD's on eBay for 20$. They are really nice if you just need music, and from what I can tell, you need to transport files on it? Sansa's have an SD card slot for up to 64gb... Also, it supports rockbox if you want to use that instead of the stock UI. They are pretty cheap. Clip+ is about 35$ http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002MAPT7U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1405112023&sr=8-1&pi=SL75 and fuze is around 90$ http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015L0T68/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1405112082&sr=8-8&pi=SL75 ONLY the fuze has the LOD. The clip+ doesn't.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #2,707 of 4,825
Got the Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 back today with upgraded Elna electrolytic capacitors.

Only running 1x Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB and 2x ElectroHarmonix 6SN7EH [my "worst" tubes, since the unit had gone to the shop].

The current tubes--pretty "Plain Jane" by comparative performance standards--still manage to bring out [even] more tonal richness from the K812, together with a clearly improved sense of dynamics, better coherence and a more liquid smoothness.  

The K812 sound great with this amp.  I prefer the K812 on the Bada without crossfeed, at least for the current disc: Bob James: joy ride/Warner Brothers|1999  Drum head and rim strikes are a real treat on Track #6 "What's Up?"  The bass goes deep, stays deep, articulate and uniformly dense with balance and just the right measure of weight/punch.  With Track #7: "Fly By", the K812 impress me as truly Top Tier [TOTL] dynamic headphones. 

Did not make it out to retrieve the Lehmann BCL or some better 6SN7s to roll, either.  My source is the lowly Denon DVD-1940CI for the time-being.  Will have to wait maybe another week before having the chance to pair the AKGs with my best source.

In short: Tubes + AKG K812 = Extreme Musical Enjoyment. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #2,708 of 4,825
Finally got my k812 back from the repair shop. Remember the one that had the loose small screw on the right ear driver? Well, instead of akg repairing it, they gave me a brand new k812, very nice of them!

Man I've missed this sound signature. I've been listening to the hd800 the last 3 weeks and this...THIS makes me really missed the k812. Really happy to have then back

Congrats on getting them back or a new pair I should say (even better).  Enjoy them !

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #2,709 of 4,825
I just started considering buying these. Would the Schiit Asgard 2 + Bifrost be a good setup with these? Also is it possible to change the leather pads to cloth? 

On a side note, does anyone think it's worth the extra $$$$$$$ from the K712? 

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #2,711 of 4,825
Tried the K812 with the [ss] ß22 amp again yesterday.  

I must have had a bad connection the first time because the combination sounded a lot better than they did last week.  

Still not a great match-up, but not as poor as I had initially reported, either.  

Ultimately too lean and sharp-sounding.  

The K812 really do "come into their own", though, when fed with tubes [IMHO].

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #2,713 of 4,825
I was in China in April 2014 to buy a AKG's k812 headphones, serial number 001512 U.S. line price is 8988 yuan. Personal is very popular AKG products, tuning it to my liking. Did little to help 812 in jars talking on the headset can also be said to be a plus cherish it. 
However, the fact that this headset though k812 has a good quality. But the quality of a mess. Just use two months, not to speak of the right ear. I usually use very carefully, not when they are back in the closet. But usually is not too much to listen to. Internet search information and other purchase 812 users communicate that, k812 has a serious design flaw, and the unit is in the middle of the headphone frame joints, the joints because of design problems, sealing off very easily, I do not know later k812 is to improve the problem, but the early batch of k812 this problem is very serious, a lot of users have encountered this problem, and even some few months repaired three times. 
I had sent email to akg headquarters before the results were forwarded to the e-mail Harman China, no matter how intense the words you seek maintenance channels, Harman's reply is short, contact your dealer. As headphone design flaws and other problems with my not and will not bother to ask. Attitude can be said to be extremely arrogant. 
This time I think basically have no further contact akg hope, so third-party repair it simply, nothing with it. Taobao stores contact with it, inform the maintenance costs for a total of $ 260. Okay then repair it, we can not let this headset hit the hands when hands to do it. 
But start but is a nightmare to find a third-party maintenance, repairs a week basic speed is very fast and good luck to get sent over. Unpacking an instant brother was completely dumbfounded. Chat, this amendment is to put the headset when the headset bicycle repair. A multi-1W headphones, so brutally ravaged. 
Various cracks, traces of various screws. . . . . . 

Headset indeed repaired, because the cell repair is not normal, seemingly is no problem listening. But, after all, is the flagship akg home ah, I said. . . . . Various speechless. . . . . 
Alert you intend to buy k812 buyers, if you buy a k812 this position basically bad possibilities is quite large. If there is no practical ability and do not want to repair, then back and forth. Or carefully select it. The Harman service is abysmal....

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #2,714 of 4,825
Sorry to hear about that issue and terrible service, but it may depends where you are located, however, K812 comes from Pro department, so, this may play the part of the problems, I dont know.

Anyway, I got the chance to review them, serial number 001106 and I was doubting what may happened to them during intensive usage, because some little issues shows up pretty fast, so, maybe you are correct and problems are much bigger from first batch, who knows?

THX

p.s. Google translate is sucks:)

Quote:
  I was in China in April 2014 to buy a AKG's k812 headphones, serial number 001512 U.S. line price is 8988 yuan. Personal is very popular AKG products, tuning it to my liking. Did little to help 812 in jars talking on the headset can also be said to be a plus cherish it. 
However, the fact that this headset though k812 has a good quality. But the quality of a mess. Just use two months, not to speak of the right ear. I usually use very carefully, not when they are back in the closet. But usually is not too much to listen to. Internet search information and other purchase 812 users communicate that, k812 has a serious design flaw, and the unit is in the middle of the headphone frame joints, the joints because of design problems, sealing off very easily, I do not know later k812 is to improve the problem, but the early batch of k812 this problem is very serious, a lot of users have encountered this problem, and even some few months repaired three times. 
I had sent email to akg headquarters before the results were forwarded to the e-mail Harman China, no matter how intense the words you seek maintenance channels, Harman's reply is short, contact your dealer. As headphone design flaws and other problems with my not and will not bother to ask. Attitude can be said to be extremely arrogant. 
This time I think basically have no further contact akg hope, so third-party repair it simply, nothing with it. Taobao stores contact with it, inform the maintenance costs for a total of $ 260. Okay then repair it, we can not let this headset hit the hands when hands to do it. 
But start but is a nightmare to find a third-party maintenance, repairs a week basic speed is very fast and good luck to get sent over. Unpacking an instant brother was completely dumbfounded. Chat, this amendment is to put the headset when the headset bicycle repair. A multi-1W headphones, so brutally ravaged. 
Various cracks, traces of various screws. . . . . . 

Headset indeed repaired, because the cell repair is not normal, seemingly is no problem listening. But, after all, is the flagship akg home ah, I said. . . . . Various speechless. . . . . 
Alert you intend to buy k812 buyers, if you buy a k812 this position basically bad possibilities is quite large. If there is no practical ability and do not want to repair, then back and forth. Or carefully select it. The Harman service is abysmal....

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,715 of 4,825
SN 002299 holding up very well here, no problem(s).
AKG needs to model their K812 QA after Oppo's PM-1.
I agree.  There is no excuse for a "flagship" like the K812 to be evidencing design flaws of this alledged magnitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back