AKG K812 Pro
Mar 14, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #2,026 of 4,825
  I agree that the FSP has an excellent sound quality, but the tight fit for me (especially if I'm wearing glasses) really detracts from the whole listening experience. 

Oh yes the comfort is totally bad. Small earcups and clamp has been said to be too much for a lot of folks. I personally don't have a problem with either, but I think it's great to warn people. The sound is sublime however.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2,027 of 4,825
It is the successor to the K702 in many ways, although I find the K702 more what I call musical and euphoric for some reason. The HD 800 is the more refined headphone.

The K812 sounds like an AKG to me, it has that character to it, same with the HD 800 having a bit of that Senn character to it. But like any headphone that is in it's price range, it is ideal to listen to it first. I do agree the K812 can be problematic in the treble on some systems. But that also applies to the HD 800. I personally had more issues with the HD 800s treble than the K812s. When it comes to handling more genres, the K812 is the better choice imo.

Agree. None of the TOTL cans are perfect.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #2,028 of 4,825
  I've heard the HD 800 with good synergy, I think it does sound really good with the right synergy, but it's just never quite clicked with me. To my ears the K812 with good synergy is the simply the more natural and musical sounding headphone. After listening to both a good amount of time on a variety of systems both tube and ss, I have to say I would choose the K812 of the two because it suits my sound preferences more and sounds better to me.

The K812 is definitely more musical by default.

1. But that's like saying most SS amps don't sound natural.... you know how transparent the hd800's are!

2. Erm.. we'll be the judge if she is cute or not.. Pics please :)  Does your managers business practice mean - it's frowned upon if you take emergency hols for dates?

3. Haven't really got anything to say about this last part.  

1. Most SS amps don't sound natural in todays market!

2. Uhm... okay

On the same topic, the only K812 in stock was sold during the day off (yes, while I was out on a date
rolleyes.gif
). So unfortunately, I won't be able to be of any help to give a description of its pairing with the Questyle CMA800R as promised! Instead, I'll mainy be comparing the HD800/HE6/Alpha Dogs among other things on Sunday. I'll be posting it in the appropriate Questyle thread. Sorry everyone!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 14, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #2,029 of 4,825
  On the same topic, the only K812 in stock was sold during the day off (yes, while I was out on a date
rolleyes.gif
). So unfortunately, I won't be able to be of any help to give a description of its pairing with the Questyle CMA800R as promised! Instead, I'll mainy be comparing the HD800/HE6/Alpha Dogs among other things on Sunday. I'll be posting it in the appropriate Questyle thread. Sorry everyone!

Don't worry, you're not missing out on much. Unless you like that lower treble peak.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #2,031 of 4,825
After more burning in the K812, I'm really enjoying it more and more. Previously I criticised it for it's piercing treble but I think that was due to my ears being too fatigued by listening to various headphones for days. After rest and burning in, it's really great.

My LCD-X has excellent planar slam and transitioning and the K812s sound more open (refreshing), detailed and tight and also has great transitioning.

Recently ordered the DHC headphone cable and look forward to receiving them in a few weeks (hopefully will remove the sibilance at higher volumes). Also ordered the Toxic Silver Poison for the LCD-X so will be interesting to hear the variations in the sounds.

Also, listening to the K812 with my HTC One Max phone is amazing.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #2,032 of 4,825
  After more burning in the K812, I'm really enjoying it more and more. Previously I criticised it for it's piercing treble but I think that was due to my ears being too fatigued by listening to various headphones for days. After rest and burning in, it's really great.

My LCD-X has excellent planar slam and transitioning and the K812s sound more open (refreshing), detailed and tight and also has great transitioning.

Recently ordered the DHC headphone cable and look forward to receiving them in a few weeks (hopefully will remove the sibilance at higher volumes). Also ordered the Toxic Silver Poison for the LCD-X so will be interesting to hear the variations in the sounds.

Also, listening to the K812 with my HTC One Max phone is amazing.

I don't believe in significant burn in. If there are to be any changes then they would be small and could be caused by other factors such as the pads. What I believe is actually happening is that your brain adjusts to the new sound signature. Treble probably sounds piercing because your previous headphone had less treble and some people seem to very sensitive to treble. I'm not one of those people but it seems a lot of people like the FSP and NAD HP50 which is 5-10dB down from the Olive-Welti target curve after 3Khz.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #2,033 of 4,825

I don't believe in significant burn in. If there are to be any changes then they would be small and could be caused by other factors such as the pads. What I believe is actually happening is that your brain adjusts to the new sound signature. Treble probably sounds piercing because your previous headphone had less treble and some people seem to very sensitive to treble. I'm not one of those people but it seems a lot of people like the FSP and NAD HP50 which is 5-10dB down from the Olive-Welti target curve after 3Khz.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,034 of 4,825
Mar 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2,036 of 4,825
It is the successor to the K702 in many ways, although I find the K702 more what I call musical and euphoric for some reason. The HD 800 is the more refined headphone.

The K812 sounds like an AKG to me, it has that character to it, same with the HD 800 having a bit of that Senn character to it. But like any headphone that is in it's price range, it is ideal to listen to it first. I do agree the K812 can be problematic in the treble on some systems. But that also applies to the HD 800. I personally had more issues with the HD 800s treble than the K812s. When it comes to handling more genres, the K812 is the better choice imo.

Just chiming in here. I auditioned te hd800 and k812 three times one hour each time, in Gothenburg. I was really curious about the k812 in comparison with the hd800. I have heard so much about the qualities of the hd800, soundstage and resolution, less distorsion etc. I listened to Eva cassidy, norah jones, diana krall beethoven 9th symphonie from DG 2012, all original dvd. Amp was "meridian prime headphone amp" - 1200 pound.
I was impressed by the hd8000, very up to the description by many. But, the k812 won me over, initially at once, then I felt I must listen more carefully to the hd800 and not be easily lured to something that was only lasting for moments.After tree hours I just had to conclude I will get the k812 whenever opportunity is there :)
The reasons:
1) Cassidy, jones and krall sounded so alive. Fine in hd800, but at another level of intimacy and a longing for more, which was a long time since last time I felt it. This must be heard before concluding something is amiss with the k812. Hair raising ...
2) The feeling of being together with the jazz band on the platform. With the hd800 I didn't "feel" or sense any room as you can feel with a good loudspeaker reproduction out of a good live jazz recording. With the k812 it was there.Like you sat with the glass of wine with your friends absorbing the performance.
3) The dynamics are remarkably "better" or realistic I would say (if I dare). The bassist has an impact during his solos, theh d800 is resolving but with clearly less dynamics and 'bite'.

It is possible that I am too hasty here but for the time am set on k812, for sure. Already longing for more of the same...
But as always, taste is divided. But I can clearly see why some regard this as THE headphones.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #2,037 of 4,825
From what it sounds like, I've still yet to hear my K812 from a great amp pairing. While the Crack pairing is good, it's not even close to my HD800 and Questyle pairing. Hopefully I'll find a good amp for the K812 at the meet next month.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #2,038 of 4,825
Quote:headed
 Just chiming in here. I auditioned te hd800 and k812 three times one hour each time, in Gothenburg. I was really curious about the k812 in comparison with the hd800. I have heard so much about the qualities of the hd800, soundstage and resolution, less distorsion etc. I listened to Eva cassidy, norah jones, diana krall beethoven 9th symphonie from DG 2012, all original dvd. Amp was "meridian prime headphone amp" - 1200 pound.
I was impressed by the hd8000, very up to the description by many. But, the k812 won me over, initially at once, then I felt I must listen more carefully to the hd800 and not be easily lured to something that was only lasting for moments.After tree hours I just had to conclude I will get the k812 whenever opportunity is there
smily_headphones1.gif

The reasons:
1) Cassidy, jones and krall sounded so alive. Fine in hd800, but at another level of intimacy and a longing for more, which was a long time since last time I felt it. This must be heard before concluding something is amiss with the k812. Hair raising ...
2) The feeling of being together with the jazz band on the platform. With the hd800 I didn't "feel" or sense any room as you can feel with a good loudspeaker reproduction out of a good live jazz recording. With the k812 it was there.Like you sat with the glass of wine with your friends absorbing the performance.
3) The dynamics are remarkably "better" or realistic I would say (if I dare). The bassist has an impact during his solos, theh d800 is resolving but with clearly less dynamics and 'bite'.

It is possible that I am too hasty here but for the time am set on k812, for sure. Already longing for more of the same...
But as always, taste is divided. But I can clearly see why some regard this as THE headphones.

And, if the amp was swapped for another that suited the HD800, the shoe would be securely glued to the other foot.

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2,040 of 4,825
I was impressed by the hd8000, very up to the description by many. But, the k812 won me over, initially at once, then I felt I must listen more carefully to the hd800 and not be easily lured to something that was only lasting for moments.After tree hours I just had to conclude I will get the k812 whenever opportunity is there :)
The reasons:

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back