AKG K812 Pro
Mar 14, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #2,011 of 4,832
  Unfortunately most SS amps don't sound natural with the HD800. Wait until you hear a pair with good synergy :)

I've heard the HD 800 with good synergy, I think it does sound really good with the right synergy, but it's just never quite clicked with me. To my ears the K812 with good synergy is the simply the more natural and musical sounding headphone. After listening to both a good amount of time on a variety of systems both tube and ss, I have to say I would choose the K812 of the two because it suits my sound preferences more and sounds better to me.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #2,014 of 4,832
a lot of people think the hd800 are rather sterile... probably haven't heard them from a good amp.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,016 of 4,832
thought the hd800 was a cut above technically. didn't think the k812 was any more "musical" - whatever that's supposed to mean.

The musicality and euphony factor is really important to some people and it can vary from person to person on what it is. It's not something that can be measured, it's just something that people know when they hear it.

a lot of people think the hd800 are rather sterile... probably haven't heard them from a good amp.

I always found it a bit boring in the musical sense, and I heard it on plenty of great amps. It's just not a headphone for everyone, no headphone is for everyone. A system with good synergy can sometimes change ones opinion on a given headphone but not always.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2,017 of 4,832
The musicality and euphony factor is really important to some people and it can vary from person to person on what it is. It's not something that can be measured, it's just something that people know when they hear it.

I always found it a bit boring in the musical sense, and I heard it on plenty of great amps. It's just not a headphone for everyone, no headphone is for everyone. A system with good synergy can sometimes change ones opinion on a given headphone but not always.

Although I find its resolution and soundstage exciting, I agree that it lacks an inviting sound. Too big and cold and unforgiving, it's the successor to K702. For me it's very genre limited: orchestral. (I no longer listen to orchestral music so often so I decided to look for the better models for the different subgenres.)

Reports indicate that K812 is rather different and AKG is my favorite firm, but it measures poorly so I want to hear it before buying.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #2,018 of 4,832
Although I find its resolution and soundstage exciting, I agree that it lacks an inviting sound. Too big and cold and unforgiving, it's the successor to K702. For me it's very genre limited: orchestral. (I no longer listen to orchestral music so often so I decided to look for the better models for the different subgenres.)

Reports indicate that K812 is rather different and AKG is my favorite firm, but it measures poorly so I want to hear it before buying.

It is the successor to the K702 in many ways, although I find the K702 more what I call musical and euphoric for some reason. The HD 800 is the more refined headphone.

The K812 sounds like an AKG to me, it has that character to it, same with the HD 800 having a bit of that Senn character to it. But like any headphone that is in it's price range, it is ideal to listen to it first. I do agree the K812 can be problematic in the treble on some systems. But that also applies to the HD 800. I personally had more issues with the HD 800s treble than the K812s. When it comes to handling more genres, the K812 is the better choice imo.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #2,019 of 4,832
  1. Unfortunately most SS amps don't sound natural with the HD800. Wait until you hear a pair with good synergy :)

2. I took the day off today because I had a date with a cute girl, and had an argument with my manager's business practices...

3. I'm working today, hopefully the dealer brings the whole line of Questyle to the store for me to critique. I'm really hoping he distributes their line if margins are fair. If he doesn't come today, it would probably go to next week.

1. But that's like saying most SS amps don't sound natural.... you know how transparent the hd800's are!

2. Erm.. we'll be the judge if she is cute or not.. Pics please :)  Does your managers business practice mean - it's frowned upon if you take emergency hols for dates?

3. Haven't really got anything to say about this last part.  

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2,020 of 4,832
For me the Q701 was thin and sterile sounding, with the soundstage artifically too wide.

I feel like the K812 sounds more like the HD600, if I had to compare it to a mid-fi headphone. The HD600 is more neutral and even sounding however, but the K812 isn't off by much (it's really close actually). It's also more full sounding like the HD600 and the presentation is intimate yet open sounding but not artifically cavernous, and definitnely not thin/sterile like the Q701 was for me.

This is just my impression after owning/hearing all three.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #2,021 of 4,832
  For me the Q701 was thin and sterile sounding, with the soundstage artifically too wide.

I feel like the K812 sounds more like the HD600, if I had to compare it to a mid-fi headphone. The HD600 is more neutral and even sounding however, but the K812 isn't off by much (it's really close actually). It's also more full sounding like the HD600 and the presentatino is intimate and not cavernous, and definitnely not thin/sterile like the Q701 was for me.

This is just my impression after owning/hearing all three.

That's high praise. The HD 600 is one of the greatest cans ever made.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,022 of 4,832
  That's high praise. The HD 600 is one of the greatest cans ever made.

I agree. It's probably the greatest can ever made actually. Haha. (IMHO of course)

For HD600 fans, checkout the Focal Spirit Pro, as it's the closed back version and it's even more neutral (seriously I'm not joking). K812 gets closest to that HD600 magic out of the summit-fi cans for me personally as the rest are either brigher or darker or scooped out in weird areas, etc, etc.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #2,023 of 4,832

I agree. It's probably the greatest can ever made actually. Haha. (IMHO of course)

For HD600 fans, checkout the Focal Spirit Pro, as it's the closed back version and it's even more neutral (seriously I'm not joking). K812 gets closest to that HD600 magic out of the summit-fi cans for me personally as the rest are either brigher or darker or scooped out in weird areas, etc, etc.

I didn't want to be that forward about it, but yeah, I completely agree. 
beerchug.gif

Now this makes me just more interested in the FSP.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #2,024 of 4,832

and to other folks that's the gear adding unwanted color to the sound which isn't their idea of "musical". so yeah the meaning varies depending on who you ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back