AKG K812 Pro
Mar 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,561 of 4,825
The longer the 812 burns in the better they will sound. A really marked improvement is reached after 100 hours, compared to their sound right out of the box. I go back and forth on any recordings between the 800 and the 812, and the 812 is superior to my ear. Not only does the 812 sound better, but the deeper ear cups are more comfortable than the more shallow ones on the 800.

Agreed, I don't understand why but many AKGs have a significant improvement over the burn-in. Sadly this means they may be disappointing at the beginning. The ear cup is very comfortable but I find it a bit tight for someone wearing glasses. The ear cup with 800 is more comfortable for me.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,562 of 4,825
I just finished listening to a new recording on DG of Mahler's 9th Symphony. [...] listened to this on cd, and it was a very rewarding expirence on the K812. [...] The 812 provided all the grand and majestic sweep of the full orchestra. The strings were beautifully rendered, with warmth and precision. The horns had a power that was fully realized on the 812. The kettle drum thundered, violas and cellos sung their sweet song. This is a recording and performance by Gustavo Dudamel and the LA Phil of extraordinary beauty and sounds powerful and ravashing on the K812.

Thanks macbob. Any hot / sharp treble moments?

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,563 of 4,825
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-AKG-Superior-Reference-Headphones-K812-Great-Deal-From-Japan-ab-/251454924569?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3a8be1a719

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #1,564 of 4,825
The longer the 812 burns in the better they will sound. A really marked improvement is reached after 100 hours, compared to their sound right out of the box. I go back and forth on any recordings between the 800 and the 812, and the 812 is superior to my ear. Not only does the 812 sound better, but the deeper ear cups are more comfortable than the more shallow ones on the 800.

+1. I think it is the musicality which wins our hearts, or rather ears.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,565 of 4,825
After a lot of careful thinking and a night to sleep on it. I have made the decision not to buy it at this time. Aside from concerns that it's relatively new and unproven, I realized $1200 is still a lot and no small sum for me, and not that great a bargain when you're seeing the T1 being sold for $750 recently and the HD800 going on sale for $889. I'm also going to a meet in April that will hopefully have these and others to compare with. Without a pair to demo and a price that is good but not outrageous, the fact I don't have a great amp to drive them, these are all reasons against buying. I think it would have been an impulsive decision to buy, for better or worse. Finally it seems the vendor has a good relationship with AKG, and would likely offer it at the same price again in the future.

A lot of this post was for myself to reaffirm and solidify my decision, as I'm still very on the fence. I want to also thank everyone who helped me out here, and to mention I'm still very interested in these. It's just not the right time from a both a situational and financial standpoint. It looks like my wallet has won for the first time in a very long time. :)

Agreed. I have been quite consistent in recommended course of action: try it out for yourself. Nothing like that litmus test. :)

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,566 of 4,825
I've received my K812 for two weeks, still burning in. For me, K812 is not the first sight belle compared to the HD800. I'm a bit disappointed the first time I hear it cause I fell it's less transparent than the HD800. But it gets better and better as the time pass. I start to prefer the K812 to HD800 now. It's more relax, detailed and musical but still I love the transparency of the HD800. I've read the frequency graphic for K812 and HD800. Probably HD800 is more perfect technically and K812 is more perfect musically. Again, no headphone is perfect in every aspect. And I'm quite happy with my decision for now. Just hope AKG will not cut the price of K812 dramatically as they did with the K7xx. 

Indeed! At the end of the day, there will be a place for both HD800 and the K812. That's why I intend to keep both, together with the Beyer T1. So that I have a choice to suit my mood for the day.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,567 of 4,825
after hearing the k812 and hd800 i couldn't describe the k812 as better - not technically anyways. decided that I'll be giving both another audition.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #1,571 of 4,825
Thanks macbob. Any hot / sharp treble moments?

You asked for a few impressions with classical music, so here's a couple more. Right now Im listening to a DG cd release from 2012, two new compilations by conductor and composer Esa Peka Salonen, the cd was titled "Out of Nowhere", which features his new Violin Concerto which he wrote for violinist Leila Josefowicz, and on which she plays on. A very powerful and beautifully recorded work. Critics called it "Rhapsodic and inspired, pure, euphoric poetry, and a hybrid of of European modernist rigor and a polyglot of California cool". The second piece,,"Nyx", named for the Greek Goddess of Night, is an exciting and invigorating work.both sound suberb on the K812, very musical, full bodied, and with great detail and sound staging.if you enjoy modern classical works, these are a must hear.
I also played the new Tchaikovsky Symphony 6, the Pathetique. This is considered his supreme masterpiece, and is presented here as another new DG recording featuring the debut of conductor Yannick Nezet-Seguin and the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra. This is an excellent performance, and the K812 delivers the goods.
Two other pieces round out the recording; Romances Opus 6 and 73, both reworked for violin and piano. The violinist is Lisa Batiashvill and the pianist is the conductor, who aquits himself beautifully on these pieces. The 812 absolutely nails the string tone of the violin, and the piano is superbly rendered with body and weight.
The K812 has been great with every musical genre I've thrown at it so far, and classical music really shines on these. If your a music lover, (and you must be based on your comments on these threads, then the K 812 is something you should seriously consider. It's the most musical and lifelike headphone I have heard to date.(However, I admit I'm not even close to having heard them all.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,572 of 4,825
You asked for a few impressions with classical music, so here's a couple more. Right now Im listening to a DG cd release from 2012, two new compilations by conductor and composer Esa Peka Salonen, the cd was titled "Out of Nowhere", which features his new Violin Concerto which he wrote for violinist Leila Josefowicz, and on which she plays on. A very powerful and beautifully recorded work. Critics called it "Rhapsodic and inspired, pure, euphoric poetry, and a hybrid of of European modernist rigor and a polyglot of California cool". The second piece,,"Nyx", named for the Greek Goddess of Night, is an exciting and invigorating work.both sound suberb on the K812, very musical, full bodied, and with great detail and sound staging.if you enjoy modern classical works, these are a must hear.
I also played the new Tchaikovsky Symphony 6, the Pathetique. This is considered his supreme masterpiece, and is presented here as another new DG recording featuring the debut of conductor Yannick Nezet-Seguin and the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra. This is an excellent performance, and the K812 delivers the goods.
Two other pieces round out the recording; Romances Opus 6 and 73, both reworked for violin and piano. The violinist is Lisa Batiashvill and the pianist is the conductor, who aquits himself beautifully on these pieces. The 812 absolutely nails the string tone of the violin, and the piano is superbly rendered with body and weight.
The K812 has been great with every musical genre I've thrown at it so far, and classical music really shines on these. If your a music lover, (and you must be based on your comments on these threads, then the K 812 is something you should seriously consider. It's the most musical and lifelike headphone I have heard to date.(However, I admit I'm not even close to having heard them all.

Thank you very much, and thanks for the compliment. I'm considering K812, as I wasn't over-impressed by the competition. I just bought K340 and I'm loving it.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #1,574 of 4,825
Has anyone tried the three tracks that sounded worst to Tyll?

Tiger Okoshi's "Bootsman's Little House"
Pinback's "Non Photo Blue"
Bob James' "New York Samba"

That's what I would do if wanted to know if his review is true. Listen to all three and ask myself, "Does this suck?"

That's the only way we can get to the bottom of "tizzy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back