AKG K812 Pro
Dec 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #226 of 4,825
Dec 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #227 of 4,825
Dec 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #229 of 4,825

I'm no so sure.

AKG K812 measurements.

AKG K701 Measurements 

Transient response is very tizzy on the 812. 

I don't think I'll be reviewing them...just not good enough, don't want to bash AKG though.

Dang Tyll, why do you gotta go dashing my hopes and dreams like that 
tongue.gif
  It seems like my K712 has better square wave measurements even.  I was really hoping these would at least measure the part, so to speak.  My guess is that the very large and deep chamber is probably a mess of resonances.  I bet they would benefit from some strategic damping mods.  I'd still like to hear them one day to decide for my own preferences but the price is making it harder to justify against the LCD-X or another HD800.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #230 of 4,825
Opinion of one person is very subjective, especially when nothing more been said than they are tizzy and not good enough to be reviewed. So far, only FritzS gave his opinion, that, at least, based on specific music and system, but the rest doesn't bring anything in, yet.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #231 of 4,825
  Opinion of one person is very subjective, especially when nothing more been said than they are tizzy and not good enough to be reviewed. So far, only FritzS gave his opinion, that, at least, based on specific music and system, but the rest doesn't bring anything in, yet.

What is "tizzy" btw? I tried google but didn't get much results. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #232 of 4,825

I'm no so sure.

AKG K812 measurements.

AKG K701 Measurements 

I don't think I'll be reviewing them...just not good enough, don't want to bash AKG though.

^ Welp since these AKG K812s has garnered so much collective interest, and have had gotten so many threads dedicated to it locked, they are pretty damn troll worthy tbh. So if you want a honest laymans trolls opinion/ impression on them, I would love to have a shot at them Tyll.

Here is my most recent write-up on a loaner pair of ASG 2s from fellow head-fier UnityIsPower. Nothin' fancy really just straight shootin', no gimmicky stuff etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/664613/review-aurisonics-asg-2-plus-comparisons-added-er4s/4215#post_10064638

Here is my head-fi "résumé" if you will: http://www.head-fi.org/t/687315/rhas-running-a-ma750-and-ma600-review-programme#post_9918067

Although we didn't get selected by that RHA thing, it was really their loss cuz if you read the forums on head-fi, you'll know that that fool TwinQY can really write to say the least. CUZ IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE HIM DO A PROPER 1ST WRITE-UP!!! LoL

Anywho here is my headphone history and a short write-up on some of the cans i have had the honor of owning.

Cans: Superlux HD 668B/ 681F < monoprice MHP-839 = JVC HA-S400 = ATH WS55< Somic MH463< JVC HA-S500< ATH ES7< ATH WS99 = ATH ES700 ~ Beyer DT 250 < Philips Fidelio X1. 

Recently added the some Philips Fidelio X1 impressions here as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647391/w-rap-sucks-2-0-rap-hiphop-appreciation-thread/2850#post_10031930

A big fan of yours btw cuz it was your honest opinion in your Superlux video review that made me realize how meh they were despite all the hype on them. haha Oh and congrats on making the BIG LEAGUES by putting Dat AKG K812 HYPE in CHECK as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683007/the-hype-appreciation-thread/990#post_10040818

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Well, maybe you can send them to somebody else for an review, I would give them a shot.

BACK OF THE LINE!!!
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #233 of 4,825

Thanks for providing the measurements, I appreciate your work.

The opinions in terms of the sound quality are somewhat devided.
Is it possible, that your 812 has an issue, perhaps similar to the early problems of the veiled LCD3s?

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #234 of 4,825

I'm no so sure.

AKG K812 measurements.

AKG K701 Measurements 

That's a bit of a disappointment in measurements for $1500 headphones. The %THD distortion on the bass looks really high. The 300Hz square wave plots show that the drivers seems to be ringing (please correct me if I'm wrong). I still really wanna hear them. How did you find their treble compared to the beyer T1s? Would you classify the transient response on the venerable K701s as "very tizzy"? 

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #235 of 4,825

You don't hear them? If you heard them, you would speak other words 
k701smile.gif

I'm no so sure.

AKG K812 measurements.

AKG K701 Measurements 

Argh, this isn't good.... I actually expected more.

I also noticed a lack of recent new Audeze headphones tho, are you going to skip them?

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #236 of 4,825

I also noticed a lack of recent new Audeze headphones tho, are you going to skip them?

Tyll has some very good comments here about the LCD-X:

.......Seems to me that the Audeze LCD-X is probably the closest to delivering a high price/performance ratio, but even there I feel we're well onto the steep diminishing returns curve.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #237 of 4,825

Tyll has some very good comments here about the LCD-X:

.......Seems to me that the Audeze LCD-X is probably the closest to delivering a high price/performance ratio, but even there I feel we're well onto the steep diminishing returns curve.

Thank you for pointing that out. As time progress and the technology progress, hopefully we will see more improved ones that match the pricetags they ask.

Oh well, so much for all of these hypes and two locked threads. Classic anticlimax ending this is.... I guess I will look for K712 if I want to upgrade from my Q701.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #238 of 4,825
  Thank you for pointing that out. As time progress and the technology progress, hopefully we will see more improved ones that match the pricetags they ask.

Oh well, so much for all of these hypes and two locked threads. Classic anticlimax ending this is.... I guess I will look for K712 if I want to upgrade from my Q701.

...with tongue firmly in cheek!

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #239 of 4,825
Unfortunately for me, I have some neck pain issues so heavier orthodynamics aren't comfortable for long listening sessions. So I have to stick with lighter dynamic headphones, which is why the K812 is so appealing to me (although it is still pretty heavy @ 390g).

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #240 of 4,825
From a not so experienced ear.

With 2 hours of listening and compare to HD800s, I felt like K812s go with different presentation of music (laid back? kind of. Maybe not try to grab your attention a lot).
If I were to describe HD800s' presentation, it is more pin point accurate and smaller sound block like scaling a properly set upped pair of hi-fi speakers into your "head stage"(not sound stage).
K812 also has a fairly accurate "head stage"( pin point location at my head but muddled compare to HD800). Sound block is much bigger.

K812s and HD650s have a very similar presentation IMO, except K812 is more neutral compared to HD650's dark sound. They both have big sound block in my "head stage".
K812s' measurement are quite similar to HD650 in terms of square wave response and THD. Objectively, I will say K812 is not even into most high end headphones performance league, but subjectively, I like the presentation of K812 because I like the presentation of HD650. To me its more musical and not too analytical, you can enjoy music with it but for monitoring and recording K712 is better IMO. Worth the money? no, absolutely no. HD650 can get very close performance according to the measurement.(If directly compare the graphs.. I might say HD650 are in the same tier as K812...)
I think a lot people will love K812s' sound, but not at that price.
BTW, HD800 is also overpriced IMO.

Sennheiser HD650

AKG 812

Sennheiser HD800

AKG K712

Users who are viewing this thread

Back