AKG K812 Pro
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #4,606 of 4,825
Thank you. I did use it with a Mojo but that did not help. I heard in Austria that the engineers of AKG were aware of this peak issue and they asked for more time to fine-tune the headphones but AKG wanted to launch the product. Now that Samsung acquired Harman there might be a new totl product.

I think they sound amazing, I use them with the RME ADI-Pro 2 so have the luxury of Eq'ing. They are by far my favourite cans these days.

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #4,607 of 4,825
Can anyone remark on how well Sonarworks can dampen the treble peak around 5 Khz?

I would live to buy an akg k812 but its treble representation troubles me. Wondering whether eqing could solve it.

I can assure you that the peak at 5 Khz with sonarworks will certainly be cleaned away.
with sonarworks the k812 headphone is definitely better sound-technically speaking.

Feb 27, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #4,608 of 4,825
I can assure you that the peak at 5 Khz with sonarworks will certainly be cleaned away.

Sorry, but that's not possible.

Looking at the frequency response plots and comparing those with the distortion plots taken elsewhere, one can see that its not just a case of EQing but that there is an underlying distortion mechanism that can't be cured by simple EQing.

That's plain physics.

with sonarworks the k812 headphone is definitely better sound

That may well be the case for what you are after, but that's more or less about personal preference,

technically speaking.

"technically speaking"?
No way, its just kinda "polishing" by sort of partly hiding, not by correcting.
:wink:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #4,609 of 4,825
it is of course your personal opinion but do not agree with your points.
your statement is too easy.
there is certainly a more balanced sound image perceptible with sonarworks

Looking at the frequency response plots and comparing those with the distortion plots taken elsewhere, one can see that its not just a case of EQing but that there is an underlying distortion mechanism that can't be cured by simple EQing.

That's plain physics.

That may well be the case for what you are after, but that's more or less about personal preference,

"technically speaking"?

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #4,610 of 4,825

That's plain physics.

"technically speaking"?

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #4,611 of 4,825

That's plain physics.

"technically speaking"?

I am happy using Sonarworks with the K812 as I am with HD700 and Z7. Sometimes I just need to dial down using the dry/wet
If u tried Sonarworks and if u are not happy, just moved on. It is a free trial. All u lose is your time.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #4,612 of 4,825
Can anyone remark on how well Sonarworks can dampen the treble peak around 5 Khz?

I would live to buy an akg k812 but its treble representation troubles me. Wondering whether eqing could solve it.

Sonarworks make the peaks all flat to monitor level. The peak between 5-6k is almost 9db high, so it is quite radical choice from the beginning. With Sonarworks you can also tilt and boost. I find 2db tilt most pleasant to my ear with gear combo; DFRed - Teac AI-301DA - NI Komplete Audio6 out..

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #4,613 of 4,825
Accessory House Global LTD.
B. Mullin
The gentlemans name is Brandon and he supplies headphone ear pads for several makes of headphones - i have asked him if he would be interested in manufacturing ear pads for the K812 as i recently ordered a replacement pair from an authorised AKG dealer and got hit with a bill for £112.53 for a pair. Given the mass production techniques available and the aim to make the unit cost as cheap as possible, i find the price i paid to be outrageous, especially considering the fact that synthetic plastic based materials (cheap to produce) are being used. I have sent Brandon pictures of the old pads showing the compression damage and deformation after only 2 years of use and also images of the new pads plus images of the fitting that connects the pads to the ear cups. Great article on Wikipedia about "built in obsolescence" which readily illustrates the approach AKG have taken with these pads. It's early on in the process and there is no indication of viability or pricing for now. My hope is for a pair of pads made from sheepskin around the £30 to £50 price point for a pair. The old pads will be shipped off to Brandon so that he can do a proper assessment and if needed i will send the headphones to him as well. If this turns out to be a non starter for whatever reason then i will put the K812s on freecycle and get a pair of HD800S
instead. I love the sound of the K812s but am not paying stupid money again for a pair of poorly made pads that are designed to wear out incredibly quickly. End of rant -

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,614 of 4,825
B. Mullin
The gentlemans name is Brandon and he supplies headphone ear pads for several makes of headphones - i have asked him if he would be interested in manufacturing ear pads for the K812 as i recently ordered a replacement pair from an authorised AKG dealer and got hit with a bill for £112.53 for a pair. Given the mass production techniques available and the aim to make the unit cost as cheap as possible, i find the price i paid to be outrageous, especially considering the fact that synthetic plastic based materials (cheap to produce) are being used. I have sent Brandon pictures of the old pads showing the compression damage and deformation after only 2 years of use and also images of the new pads plus images of the fitting that connects the pads to the ear cups. Great article on Wikipedia about "built in obsolescence" which readily illustrates the approach AKG have taken with these pads. It's early on in the process and there is no indication of viability or pricing for now. My hope is for a pair of pads made from sheepskin around the £30 to £50 price point for a pair. The old pads will be shipped off to Brandon so that he can do a proper assessment and if needed i will send the headphones to him as well. If this turns out to be a non starter for whatever reason then i will put the K812s on freecycle and get a pair of HD800S
instead. I love the sound of the K812s but am not paying stupid money again for a pair of poorly made pads that are designed to wear out incredibly quickly. End of rant -

Sounds interesting, please let us know how this pans out. I for one will be interested in picking up a pair. Thanks for your efforts.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #4,615 of 4,825
Sounds interesting, please let us know how this pans out. I for one will be interested in picking up a pair. Thanks for your efforts.
Will update the thread as and when i get more information. Brandon makes a pair of pads for the HD800 / S / 820 that are £34.99 compared to the £65+ from sennheiser and i really hope that he can pull this off ..... watch this space

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #4,616 of 4,825
B. Mullin

I've got my AKG K812 two years ago and the pads look just like new.
Thomann.de has them for £98/pair. I really wouldn't mind spending £98 in pads once or twice in a decade.

HD800S while very good in some regards, it's different from K812, and typically more expensive to begin with.
For the price of HD800S, I guess you should be able to get a K812 and extra pads for many years.

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #4,617 of 4,825
I've got my AKG K812 two years ago and the pads look just like new.
Thomann.de has them for £98/pair. I really wouldn't mind spending £98 in pads once or twice in a decade.

HD800S while very good in some regards, it's different from K812, and typically more expensive to begin with.
For the price of HD800S, I guess you should be able to get a K812 and extra pads for many years.
Payment by PayPal in euros plus shipping and PayPal conversion fees was £112.53 - no option to pay in pounds sterling - HD800S currently £1049 new or between £800 and £900 pre owned - K812 currently £499 new or £400 pre owned (source Ebay UK 3/3/19).... I have decided that i will offer them on my local Freecycle site as and when i get a new pair of cans - lesson learnt: i will research spare parts availability and consumable replacement costs and decide accordingly, German , Japanese or American (Sennheiser , Audio Technica or Grado) HD800S , ATH-ADX5000 or PS2000e.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #4,618 of 4,825
HD800S currently £1049 new or between £800 and £900 pre owned - K812 currently £499 new

That's what I mean, for the price of a new Sennheiser HD800S you can get an AKG K812 and still have money left for 5 pairs of extra pads.

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #4,619 of 4,825
Great list!
I would add the new one mic recording from Carmen Gomes. I find it even better than "thousand Shades of Blue"
https://www.soundliaison.com/

Keep in mind listening levels affect the perception of tonal balance so what's perfect for someone listening at 65dB avg might not be perfect for someone listening at 85dB avg.

Feel free to check:

Hans Theessink - Odyssey (Bridges album)
Warm - forward main vocal - lively presentation

Gary Karr - E lucevan le stelle (Super double bass album)
Instrumental

Alexis Cole - Whip poor will (A kiss in the dark binaural album)
Female vocal - smooth recording

Amber Rubarth - Good mystery (Sessions from the 17th ward binaural album)
Female vocal - sharper and wider

Carmen Gomes Inc - Oblivion (1000 shades of blue album from Sound Liaison)
Female vocal - warm and lively

Loreena McKennitt - Between the shadows (Live in Toronto and Paris album)
Instrumental live

Fleetwood Mac - Never going back again (Rumors album)

Anne Akiko Meyers - Air (The Bach Album)
Classical

Happy Listening!
Me x3

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #4,620 of 4,825
I have a quick question regarding amping. I use my LG V30. streaming Tidal to listen to these all around the house and I have to trick the amp to activate in order to get a good sound quality. ( it only does for 50ohm + headphones)
I EQ these to basshead level ( +8DB 32hz +6db 64hz) for my EDM, is this OK for the drivers ? I just don't wanna do any damage to them because I'm still a newb regarding output power and amps in general.
For some reason they distort without the amp activated while with it they are my number one basshead cans I swear, that 53mm driver with 1.5tesla magnet slams that subbass to my head like crazy without distorting.
Max output power on V30 is 2Vrms if that is anyhow relevant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back