AKG K812 Pro
Feb 7, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #4,591 of 4,824
Yes, it works with 96khz but not with sonaworks.

Mine is working with Sonarworks.. what could be the solution? Do you have two separate speakers in Windows, which are working together? One for DAC and one for SR.. from speaker preferences you can choose the quality, like I'm having 24bit/96kHz for both. Then from TIDAL choose the SR one, and it should play from TIDAL - SR - DAC. And after DAC to Amp, and as an option I have audio interface after amp hooked to another laptop, so I can record 24/96 mixes or masters or anything to another DAW..

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #4,594 of 4,824
After roughly 100h of break in, the core signature of the K812 has not changed that much.

Having done a lot of further iterations with different cable arrangements, I've come to the conclusion that
- in stock form the AKG K812 doesn't provide the flag ship SQ its touted for
- the cable is in such a high degree part of the K812's SQ, both on the positive as on the negative side, that for me modding this can is not worth the effort, as the result will be totally unpredictable.

My guess is, that those who ventured into modding the K812 and put it on sale short after, have run into severe SQ problems not foreseen.

The "distortion" issue and also, that complex passages are hard to dissolve, are IMO highly related to sort of exaggeration of the K812 - fed by the original three wire cable - on the upfront edge of sounds. Thus, perception of more quiet notes in the mix get subdued to some degree. The original cable accounts substantially for that specific behaviour and IMO the three wire arrangement also accounts for left / right interference and less than stellar "3D" presentation, but on the other hand it also accounts a lot for the airy presentation and for a very special sense of quietness and clarity I loved.

What are you plugging them into? Amp/dac/source????

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #4,595 of 4,824
What are you plugging them into? Amp/dac/source????

A variety of different non-boutique sources, DACs and amp stages, easily capable to bring out the very best of cans.
But admittedly I skipped my attempt to create a test setup on my dual mono headphone amp to mimic symmetric / four-wire cabling on the K812, as all listening experience already was so clear-cut.

My auditioning of the K812 showed more or less the same behaviour that Tyll already described in his review on Innerfidelity.
Its just that I have to add, that IMO the three wire cable is a big part of the K812s culprit.
Once there will be a four wire "flag ship" version, I'm all in for new validation as there are really some merits of the K812 I loved.

Until then, I strongly recommend to rather go for the AKG K712 and modify it to four wire cabling:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/hea...702-65th-anniversary-q701-k712-symmetric.html

By the way, the massive price drop to roughly 1/3 for me reflects the users opinions about the AKG K812 more than anything else.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-NE...h=item4d8b9c9f54:g:QJcAAOSwI-tcWJOW:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #4,596 of 4,824
Has anyone tried to mod a pair to four wire, by yourself?

How to open up the shell to unveil the soldering´s to solder the new cable to each side? The three original fabrication wires from the Lemo-connector are very thin, so I want to solder my replacement UP-OCC wire directly to the solder joint´s underneath the "Reference Headphone" marking, above the earcup. I can see the joint´s, but are not able to reach them. There are four screw´s, should they be unscrewed?

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #4,600 of 4,824
Anyone know how to feasibly get replacement earpads, mine are super peeled off, and thomann is charging bloody 50 euros to ship to Malaysia, while the local harman support wants 75 usd a piece with a 6-8 week waiting time, goddamit Samsung/Harman.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #4,603 of 4,824
Can anyone remark on how well Sonarworks can dampen the treble peak around 5 Khz?

I would live to buy an akg k812 but its treble representation troubles me. Wondering whether eqing could solve it.
Try to use it with a slightly warm source eg. Mojo.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #4,605 of 4,824
Try to use it with a slightly warm source eg. Mojo.
Thank you. I did use it with a Mojo but that did not help. I heard in Austria that the engineers of AKG were aware of this peak issue and they asked for more time to fine-tune the headphones but AKG wanted to launch the product. Now that Samsung acquired Harman there might be a new totl product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back