AKG K812 Pro
Feb 5, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3,361 of 4,832
Last listening sessions before my K812 will go to its final owner. I am seriously doubting this K812 is so easy to drive well. The result from a phone is really weak (bad sound and low volume) . From a FIIO X3 it's better but the headphone Still doen't shine as much as with a dedicated amp like my jpslabs O2. then it's good but the result I can hear with my home Rig ( Metrum Octave + DNA Sonett 2 ) is clearly better but I really have to crank up the volume pot.  I currently have the Ultrasone performance Family that exhibits more difficult specs ( 35 ohms 94/96 db/mw ) and it seems the K812 needs more juice. I don't understand why.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,362 of 4,832
From Sonett description it should drive any headphones with ease, right?

Quote:
  Last listening sessions before my K812 will go to its final owner. I am seriously doubting this K812 is so easy to drive well. The result from a phone is really weak (bad sound and low volume) . From a FIIO X3 it's better but the headphone Still doen't shine as much as with a dedicated amp like my jpslabs O2. then it's good but the result I can hear with my home Rig ( Metrum Octave + DNA Sonett 2 ) is clearly better but I really have to crank up the volume pot.  I currently have the Ultrasone performance Family that exhibits more difficult specs ( 35 ohms 94/96 db/mw ) and it seems the K812 needs more juice. I don't understand why.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #3,363 of 4,832
@Blackmore : not at all. The Sonett 2 is dedicated to high sensitivity headphones. Not for hard to driver orthos for example :wink: . But the K812 sounds fine . I'm just surprised that headphone does not sound imo as good as intended on portable sources.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #3,364 of 4,832
Oh, I see, but thats not surprise for me, as they didnt sound good through my iAudio X5L and iAudio 10 either.

Quote:
  @Blackmore : not at all. The Sonett 2 is dedicated to high sensitivity headphones. Not for hard to driver orthos for example :wink: . But the K812 sounds fine . I'm just surprised that headphone does not sound imo as good as intended on portable sources.

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3,365 of 4,832
I don't have a lot of experience with totl headphones but I had a chance to listen to my friend's K812 and I was honestly blown away. Again, I didn't have anything to my knowledge to compare with except HD650 and SRH940 but they are not in the same league as the K812s.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #3,367 of 4,832
  Is there any other phone they make that comes close to the 812, like maybe the K712, or did they improve it so much nothing else in the lineup comes close.

To me all members of the K7 family that I heard so far (Q701, K702 Anniversary, K7XX) sound quite different from the K812. I can only directly compare with the K7XX, which is much warmer, less dynamic, has a soundstage not as wide and not that nice deep reaching bass of the K812.
Sorry, I don't know other current AKG models as the K612 etc.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,369 of 4,832
  I don't have a lot of experience with totl headphones but I had a chance to listen to my friend's K812 and I was honestly blown away. Again, I didn't have anything to my knowledge to compare with except HD650 and SRH940 but they are not in the same league as the K812s.

whats the rig that blown u away..?

===================

i am a suspecting the k812 soundstage/flavor/ambience is caused by the shape of the earpads...  vs the regular donutK7xxseries pads. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #3,370 of 4,832

whats the rig that blown u away..?

===================

i am a suspecting the k812 soundstage/flavor/ambience is caused by the shape of the earpads...  vs the regular donutK7xxseries pads. 

I heard it through a MOTU Track 16 Interface paired with a Lehmann Traveller amplifier. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #3,372 of 4,832
The K812 sound very good with my SS Lehmann BCL, but much better (better dynamics, better sense of space, more saturated tonality, etc.) and more "natural" or "musical-sounding" with the Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 hybrid.  

The PM-1 also sound very good with the Bada, but with "leaner" driver tubes like the Philips 6SN7WGT.  Am on the verge of selling the Lehmann--something I formerly thought I would/could not even consider.  

Just got a set of Stax SR-407 in, with SR-507 earpads and the Woo WEE.  We'll see how the AKGs fare against the Stax!  To me, the chief drawback with electrostatics has been their flaccid dynamics.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #3,374 of 4,832
Just wanted to give a shout out to the local distributor of AKG in my neck of the woods. I'd lost the 3.5mm to 6.5mm screw on adapter for my can. Called up the local service center and explained my situation, I was willing to send them a self addressed envelope and do a bank transfer for payment. Even before I could suggest this, the excellent staff offered to send me a replacement via post sans charge.....I was quite surprised, pleasantly surprised but surprised nonetheless. With such excellent service, I do foresee one more AKG can in my future....

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #3,375 of 4,832
I had a brief listening session with this headphone today and while the soundstage was pretty wide, I found that it made it too distant for me to appreciate it well. It's just not my kind of phones.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back